Wiki on forum

My forum and my wiki are two separate platforms that don't talk to each other. Users have separate accounts for each one, and you can't post on the forum from the wiki or edit wiki articles from the forum. What people do is make articles about their characters, weapons, places, etc. and they link to those in their forum posts. When they make articles, they use links to the forum posts as references to support the wiki articles.

Lets start it!

1. Wiki means, we have only one post? Or a second or more? Do we discuss it? Visible or only visible for the user group who cares?
2. We need a toc-function on h2, h3, should be no problem.
3. We need a keyword-function like siropu linked keywords?
4. A namespace, unfortunately after another keyword like /wiki/, and check for names space to avoid double ones.
5. Foot notes
6. Some shortcuts make b, i, u, h2, center and others, bbcode is too much work often.

What else?
  1. We have one wiki article, with multiple chapters. This could be one post per chapter or one post for the whole article. One post per chapter allows for multiple people editing the same article. There is discussion, visible only to usergroups with permission.
  2. We need ToC functionality
  3. We need autolinking of wiki titles.
  4. Categories / area's are needed.
  5. Foot notes are old school. Instead we need a references manager so people do not need to mess with bbcode. Just let the user choose what kind of reference it is. Show the relevant fields to the user where the required data can be filled in. The user hits save and the reference is added to the references list at the bottom and the text has a hotlinked number.
  6. The editor should cover bbcode.
What else:
  1. Infobox in sidebar. (using custom fields)
  2. Synonyms with redirects
  3. Disambiguation pages
  4. IME wiki footnotes lead to a mass of dead links and thus major SEO issues. A monthly dead link check on footnotes is no luxury.
  5. Article status: stub (empty), short, medium, good, comprehensive. This can be a custom field. We dont want stubs in our SEO sitemap submission.
  6. Article ratings
  7. Nice looking article overview.

I have understood after many years that the most users don't want a second, third, fourth area.
This is true, but this means that we either put everything in forum and technically restrict the possibilities a lot OR make other content types visible in forum nodes and new posts.

Back to the wiki (i need a break from the news)

1. How important is a namespace? Do we need xenforo.com/wiki/startship-troopers/
Is there any difference to xenforo.com/wiki/startship-troopers.123?

(also remember that we have multiple pages for one and the same word)

2. Does the world need to know that Sabrina has changed 123 bytes yesterday at 11:30?
Maybe we need something like:

List with changes?
Mark changed wiki-posts? Change a date? Show it only after action, most people are not interested, editors could sort by last_edit.

3. Do we really need a discussion thread?
For everyone, for editors?

4. Do we need a page with all keywords?
If so it will be only a page by #A-Z and then Level 0 => next page Level 1

5. Yes, we want to have a quick search only for this area

6. SEO? Ok.

7. public / not public infos?

Please give me some input!

There is discussion, visible only to usergroups with permission.
=> you want discussion thread and hidden, ok

We need ToC functionality
=> yes, it is on the list as two ...

We need autolinking of wiki titles.
=> I am not sure, if i like this. You have 5000 keywords in your wiki and al lot of posts in the forum look like

Foot notes are old school. Instead we need a references manager so people do not need to mess with bbcode. Just let the user choose what kind of reference it is. Show the relevant fields to the user where the required data can be filled in. The user hits save and the reference is added to the references list at the bottom and the text has a hotlinked number.

Maybe you want to have [w]slug[/w], what means we need an userspace, but better a userspace-list?

/wAmadeus Mozart/ <=> now we look up while saving possible with unique results. Maybe something like a list after saving?
Please choose
tree > plant, mathematics, whatever

foot notes are old school. Instead we need a references manager so people do not need to mess with bbcode. Just let the user choose what kind of reference it is. Show the relevant fields to the user where the required data can be filled in. The user hits save and the reference is added to the references list at the bottom and the text has a hotlinked number.
=> hmm, no idea about that yet; a foot note is used to show details we dont show in the text or book, page 123 or died 1812 or ...?
I am not sure if we need a database here, but maybe i missunderstand you.

Maybe we write //1 lalala //2 balabla //3 and get three fields for 1, 2, 3 to edit more text?
Save it with code to have it back for edit again. Or have it in a new table?

Infobox in sidebar. (using custom fields)
=> Which type of info? 12 times edited by {list}?

Synonyms with redirects
I would prefer, if the search bring me to a result. I would prefer to write Synonyms into the text and dont add a new page with nothing else than a link to another page, but ... maybe I know to less about wikis.

Disambiguation pages
=> One word, but different meanings; no idea now.

IME wiki footnotes lead to a mass of dead links and thus major SEO issues. A monthly dead link check on footnotes is no luxury.
=> for me a foot note is extra info, not links, but yes, could be links. Needs maybe another add-on from Addonslab.

Article status: stub (empty), short, medium, good, comprehensive. This can be a custom field.
=> should be sortable and filterable

We dont want stubs in our SEO sitemap submission.
=> means to remove it from sidemap and add usual hints for google not to follow, not to index, ok.

Article ratings
=> really? Article is bad from jan-dec; 1000 people rate 1 star; then someone imporve the text; 1000 people rate with 5 stars;
maybe the same people, but if not? => rate from 3 (1+5)/2

I need a theme/topic with existing public infos and pictures, any idea?
I want to do a real-world example to see the real problems when using it.

I am still working on the news;
I have to add a lot of features nobody will need now. :)
But I have to do that.

--
I have copied my Wiki from the xyz-wiki-addon to threads now. For me, it makes no difference to have all the articles inside the forum now.
I save one NavTab, i can use the SEO-fields for threads. Nobody needs to click to come from article to thread. Fewer tabs above the thread.
Users are used to reading threads and posts. Allowed users can edit the articles.

From this, I will see, what I require (probably nothing), but what could be nice to have without requiring it. :)
I will not use thread-redirects, but use more than one word in a title.

For Tocs (for threads) i will do my own add-on, for Tocs (for posts) I will buy an add-on.
For foot notes, I have no idea now, and I still dont know what you mean with "references instead".

One thing missing is the links on words. Here I would prefer a local tag-system, when some other things are finished i will think about that.

Last edited:
Q: How will attachments be handled ? images, pdfs,

Q: How will wiki items show activity to the wider board ? (Can the edited wiki item show up in What's new ?)

Q: Will wiki items show up in "Similar threads" ?

Q: Will wiki items show up in Search ?

Q: will there be just one wiki area ?

Q: Can wiki items "expire" and notify editing members to review the item ?

I am still working on my news add-on;
It is somehow finished, but with time and using it get new ideas, what I like and what I don't like.

Currently, I remove all bbCodes and put them in a separate add-on. Then I have to write a how-to.
Later today I will install it on my page www.xencafe.com to use and show it.

Muti-pages are done in two ways:

One article could be a set of nine articles, you can read vertical like posts in a thread
and horizontal, means you click left/right to go to series part 2 till 9.
Nobody needs to use this, but I like the idea of having it.

Can wiki items "expire" and notify editing members to review the item ?
What could be a rule set for this?
What could be the result?

A page with expired articles?
Put them at the top, to the button? Colour them red?
Write an alert to all users? To the author? To the posters?

will the wiki editor be the default xenforo bbcode editor ?
Yes.

All questions from #90
Yes

Can wiki items "expire" and notify editing members to review the item ?
What could be a rule set for this?
What could be the result?

A page with expired articles?
Put them at the top, to the button? Colour them red?
Write an alert to all users? To the author? To the posters?

and open things in #83

and: what is a reference system instead foot notes? (somewhere from above)

This is just me trying to have 2 columns, text on left, image on rightTable heading 1234567890
The main problem with wikis is usability. The simpler the "wiki " the better. I honestly think that since Xenforo doesn't actually have a useful PAGES addon, the most successful addon may not be a Xenforo wiki .... but may more resemble a Xenforo Pages addon with wiki-like editing.This.is.alt.text.edited.1681313695839.png

The main problem with wikis is usability. The simpler the "wiki " the better. I honestly think that since Xenforo doesn't actually have a useful PAGES addon, the most successful addon may not be a Xenforo wiki .... but may more resemble a Xenforo Pages addon with wiki-like editing.

Hard core / established wiki proponents like @Alpha1 would be interested in just replicating existing their existing wiki structure and that may have limited appeal to a wider audience.

On the other hand @Alpha1 knows his stuff, so I want to know more about the details of exactly why he wants certain features. I also want to make a case for the easiest to use wiki and focus more on seamless integration with the wider Xenforo forum.

Absolutely basic questions like:
Can the native Xenforo bbcode editor be used? What are the limitations of that ?
Will the Wiki be a Xenforo thread type ? (see manual)
How can wiki content be leveraged for use in forum posts?
How will images be embedded with text?

Last edited:
At the moment I have two solutions to do a toc inside the posts.

The free one you can see here.

I have some issues on localhost, but not on xencafe.
Some css must be changed for me needs.
For example the h3, looking ok in the toc itself, but not in the headlines.

The second add-on to use, i have bought today. It works now only with headline and requires an add-on for the add-on to work with h2 (for my needs). When it is finished, i will probably change the used one with this paid one.

Here you can see (now!) how I create problems to find an idea how to solve it.

I have added a page "prefix filters"; it will be a page talking about what it is and which add-ons we can use. (In German, sorry)
The next five pages would/could be one page per add-on.

Somehow, this page is a mother page for the next five pages; so what can we do?
Yes, we need a slug

prefix_filter = this page
name of addons + programer = slug for addon pages

linked by bbCode wiki]
{next problem! how to link somethnig, when it is a link for the toc!}

How can we solve mother-child? Just manually?
Or by slug or by thread_id?

How many mother-child we need, and can we f*ck ourselves with this?

Prefix filter is a mother; has mother = 0
the five add-on pages can have mother = page prefix_filter
then we auto_link the mother?!

What happens if we set the ID of a child as mother_id for the mother?
Technical no problem, but nonsense=? Should we check it?

Is there a need to show

mother => child => child => child?
Or just walk level by level?

The prefixes are less important here than the title, so I moved and decreased size

Questions here could be:

Change the view of threads? How?
Meta, last and icon are nothing important here.
Moreover, we will have the slug in a minute (or tomorrow, I hope)

Here some news about Wiki Science :)

We have nodes, forums, subforums
We have prefixes

We always can use the filters for our prefixes, but I like it to have them as buttons.
So i have watched all prefix filter add-ons i could view and finally found out for myself that there are only two I want to use:

1. The one from ozzmodz is perfect, if you dont need any other information and if you care not to have unused prefixes, because there are no queries.
2. The one from Stuart/Xon is perfect, if you need more infos like number of threads per prefix. It works with multi prefix and has a cache. If you want to have an ignore-function for prefixes, this is also your choice. But if you hate lists a kilometre long, when having some hundreds of prefixes, dont buy it! There was a small bug, but Stuart/Xon has fixed it these days (and now i need to pay a new licence as a result of finding that bug, haha)

For myself, I have done now my version: working with multi prefix, have a cache and useable per forum., and no ignore/long lists.

Looking like usual:

Some words about the other add-ons you can find here in German language:

About the toc in posts (in posts only here!)

There are two add-ons; one from truolong; i am not quite sure about, because I have seen someing with h[*] in the code, but it say that it is woking with heading only. For me this is a ko-criteria, because i want to be free to choose h2 or heading.

(Why the hell, i should write heading2, when i can write h2?!)

The other one is from slions, free, but maybe not updated anymore with many hints in the source.
I dont like the html, and just work on it to change it.

You can see it also here:

it will change in the next one hour, i guess.
  • no margin/padding-left
  • no effects
  • the box can be left sie from large responsive, not medium

What I like: You can move the toc where you want.
Means write a headline and some text, then show the toc (needs an option not to move it to the right, then)

What I also dont like is the replecment, when we dont use [toc][/toc] ...

Will work on this tonight.

Top Bottom