Wiki on forum

Yes, but only you can edit it, right?
You need the admin permission to edit the page, that's right. Members without admin permission can send a conversation with a request for adjustments. For an extensive wiki that will not be very useful, but for a simple wiki it is an option.

But the problem is that with permissions you can not control only first post of the thread, you'll need an add-on for that again.
Yeah. You and I are pretty much on the same page here.

I thought about keeping the wiki threads locked so there could only ever be one post.

Another option I thought about would be using the built in help pages to create wiki pages. Members could “edit” them by submitting their edits for review (in a special forum), and then you update the page.

Still, I would prefer to do something that uses XF core or XFRM over an add-on. Heavy template edits could make things appear more like a real wiki but you’re still kind of limited on the collaboration part.

I’d be interested to see what you come up with if you do end up doing some type of wiki.

I thought about keeping the wiki threads locked so there could only ever be one post.
Yes, this can actually be done with current XF system. You can create a dedicated forum node (to act as wiki). Set permissions for group to allow edit any post (under Forum moderator permissions), then set Post replies permission to No.

Create thread prefix to highlight it a bit more. Now users can create threads, edit the first post, and you also have the History link. Which is great tool, also as a security tool if someone deletes everything.

Not sure what happens if more users starts editing simultaneously. The downside is you don't have a discussion section (no posts allowed), you don't have a table of content in forum view (but this can be done with an HTML widget by adding some links).

Hmm, actually, this could work for a specific case :)

Last edited:
Not sure what happens if more users starts editing simultaneously.
Tested, the version of the last who hit the Save button is saved. Not good. But at least you can see this in History. The thread should be somehow be locked when someone is already editing the post.

Tested, the version of the last who hit the Save button is saved. Not good. But at least you can see this in History. The thread should be somehow be locked when someone is already editing the post.
That was a good thought and kudos on doing the test for us.

This almost seems like a legitimate concern that should be posted as an XF suggestion? While it’s probably rare two moderators are editing the same post at once, I could see it happening on huge fast moving forums.

You could probably create an addon that locks a post when a user activates the post edit, you can then have the option to come back later or forcefully take over the edit. Wordpress has this on their post editing.

1641821339877.webp

While it’s probably rare two moderators are editing the same post at once, I could see it happening on huge fast moving forums.
We actually had this issue a lot on our wiki. Especially for large high use wiki articles. To accommodate this Vaultwiki has section editing, so that users can work on different sections of the same wiki. Each wiki section has its own database entry. Similar to how custom fields work in XF.

This almost seems like a legitimate concern that should be posted as an XF suggestion?

@expanserpb @hollosch @wolven @mazzly @SeToY
You use Vaultwiki a lot. What do you think about using a wiki for XF?
I think a wiki is a great addition to XF, whether it being VaultWiki or @NixFifty Tickets add-on using the knowledge base functionality. I can only repeat what @expanserpb and @Alpha1 have said about VaultWiki, though. It's considerably hard to keep it up and running, even more so than the entire XF software in itself. I also ran into a couple of performance related issues, possibly because of my setup on a windows machine using IIS, which VaultWiki doesn't handle very well. @pegasus tried to help me extensively (as he does with nearly all issues - and unfortunately, there are a whole lot of them), but we never came to any real fix, so I gave up and disabled VaultWiki a couple of months ago and avoid using it going further.

Last edited:
If you want a wiki and not just collaborative editing of very basic articles I guess there's no way around a real wiki like MediaWiki.

We are running MediaWiki + SMW in subdirectory on 2 sites, like example.com/wiki, not a subdomain. One is using Xenforo MediaWiki Bridge by @SchmitzIT / @xfrocks, the other XWiki by @ThemeHouse / @Lukas W. Both eliminate the need for users to sign up or login twice. Both actually work great. We'd only need the XF MW Bridge add-on to be updated to work with latest versions of XF and MW; maybe someone's up for joining 'forces' to get this update done.

Last edited:
I'm looking into kicking off a basic wiki and by the looks of it VaultWiki is the only supported XF addon atm. Anyone running the latest version 4.1.4? Any major issues to report? Learning curve aside I'm more concerned about forum breaking bugs.

Appreciate feedback if any.

I'm looking into kicking off a basic wiki and by the looks of it VaultWiki is the only supported XF addon atm. Anyone running the latest version 4.1.4? Any major issues to report? Learning curve aside I'm more concerned about forum breaking bugs.

Appreciate feedback if any.
I'm running the latest Vaultwiki. The bottom line is that there always are many issues with every release. If you report those then @pegasus quickly addresses those by providing code to implement. Sometimes a bug cannot be fixed and is only fixed in a new release. There can be 2 months between releases.
For this release there are issues with wiki sections not working and the XF bbcode editor not working.

Showcase addon of Bob + Keyword Linking of Siropu + BBCode addon of Xon does the job for me.
The keyword linking addon by Siropu requires the admin to manually link all articles and synonyms. Thats not ideal for big sites.

Last edited:
The keyword linking addon by Siropu requires the admin to manually link all articles and synonyms. Thats not ideal for big sites.
Yeah, that is a problem I also have to be honest. But it works so far with manually adding stuff.

I was also looking for a basic Wiki but the bridges are scary, if they break and VaultWiki seems too clunky for my taste.

I opted out for a different solution.

Showcase addon of Bob + Keyword Linking of Siropu + BBCode addon of Xon does the job for me.

This is what I am currently doing as well.

I'm running the latest Vaultwiki. The bottom line is that there always are many issues with every release. If you report those then @pegasus quickly addresses those by providing code to implement. Sometimes a bug cannot be fixed and is only fixed in a new release. There can be 2 months between releases.
For this release there are issues with wiki sections not working and the XF bbcode editor not working.

I had messaged @Siropu about maybe getting an add-on to import Showcase objects automatically, to save time but he is not interested.

Reactions: sbj
This is what I am currently doing as well.
Nice to know. Great minds think alike :D.

I had messaged @Siropu about maybe getting an add-on to import Showcase objects automatically, to save time but he is not interested.
I think what we need is more a generic feature, not just dedicated for Showcase. Maybe then we can convince him, but he already did so many requests of mine, I am too ashamed to ask for more.

For example a button/moderator action, which is like "add this title as a keyword". So this way thread titles can be added from front-end. If that is done, extending that to Showcase item titles would nothing.

And as for an automatical way, an ACP option where we can choose from the node list the nodes, and it automatically adds all titles in those nodes as keywords. And then extending that for showcase categories should be nothing.

I use Dokuwiki in combination with my Xenforo, but what I'd really like is a single sign on so people can sign into my wiki with their forum account. I really love how pages are stored as plan text and that Dokuwiki's easy to customize. There's some VERY powerful addons (e.g. Struct) for Dokuwiki.
I'm investigating either Ory or SuperTokens integration with XenForo. Would be great to get together with the others posting on here about SSO to get something quality integrated. Perhaps a XenForo plugin could do it? I'm leaning towards SuperTokens, but Ory Hydra has some potential in the system we're building.

Top Bottom