Wiki on forum

I can't reproduce this, sorry.

There are some issues with the product manager, i will replace him in some days, I hope.

If I put the site to the translator, I don't see the login page, but an error.
And if something is changed by Google as you show in the picture above, than maybe something is changed also, that should not be changed ...

Call the page in a browser without any Google stuff, choose English at the bottom and register ...

If you watch your screenshots, you can see that Google has changed the form.

email, password, authentication are not the original text; I don't know what else Google has changed.

Call the page in a browser without any Google stuff, choose English at the bottom and register ...

1680110086003.webp

Selecting the dropdown and picking Never or Page is Not German

This whole registration thing seems like something should be fixed on your end.

Can't there be IP checking and all URLs from North America +/- UK get directed to the English Language Site ? And for the diehard Germans in North America .... they can figure out how to get to the German Language of your site ?

1680110491833.webp

Weird.

I looked up my Google translate settings in Chrome, because I am surprised it just Auto-translated your site.

1680110666343.png

I see the problem !
I suspect this is just me. As I can't imagine many users have German auto translated.

I think this happened when I was checking out Scott M's skoppa / skoopa website.

I am not sure about the languages.
I will probably switch to English in the coming days and add a link to switch to German at the top ...

Next time someone wants to fill out the url fields i will have some help to do it. :)

The site has not English as default; for German users I will add something later change this with one click.

Xenforo unfortunately has no solution for multilingual websites. i.e. no translation of nodes and pages.

I had an add-on to show rm cats and nodes/forums in two languages,
but after using it a while, I have understood that it makes no sense to me.

It makes sense to me to have:

1. captcha questions

=> change language!

and

2. the the account upgrades in two languages

try Test / test and change language!

Currently, i work on a news addon.

After this one will come a second version, and this second one will care for two languages.

I personally wouldn't use wikimedia as a forum or part of a forum.

It's just me though. Because i know you can have your stuff edited by anyone else on wikipedia.

I'm left worried about what i'm posting up online only to have it changed by some other goose.

First up, naming.
Wikipedia - the encyclopedia
Wikimedia - the foundation that owns Wikipedia and also runs the Wikimedia Commons asset library
MediaWiki - the software

Second up, you can install MediaWiki on your own server then set permissions on it. Wikipedia and Wikimedia choose to et it for anyone to edit but you don’t have to.

Other wiki platforms also have permissions systems for the same reason.

You use Vaultwiki a lot. What do you think about using a wiki for XF?

Long time ago, i have bought a licence of Vaultwiki. But I had chosen the wrong version, not the one for XF.
I tried to reach anyone from the support, explained the situation and never got any answer.

I have also bought a version of EWR Carta and found some things to improve, done by own add-on, but unfortunately I never found any users who were interested in caring for it. I have deinstalled it.

Finally, I found out that the forum itself is the best place for me for almost everything.
I have understood after many years that the most users don't want a second, third, fourth area.

The question seems to be if a XenForo Thread Type (just like there is an article thread type, there could be a wiki type) can offer all essential functionality for wiki or not. If not, then it needs to be a separate content type.

Lets start it!

1. Wiki means, we have only one post? Or a second or more? Do we discuss it? Visible or only visible for the user group who cares?
2. We need a toc-function on h2, h3, should be no problem.
3. We need a keyword-function like siropu linked keywords?
4. A namespace, unfortunately after another keyword like /wiki/, and check for names space to avoid double ones.
5. Foot notes
6. Some shortcuts make b, i, u, h2, center and others, bbcode is too much work often.

What else?

Last edited:
Long time ago, i have bought a licence of Vaultwiki. But I had chosen the wrong version, not the one for XF.
I tried to reach anyone from the support, explained the situation and never got any answer.

I have also bought a version of EWR Carta and found some things to improve, done by own add-on, but unfortunately I never found any users who were interested in caring for it. I have deinstalled it.

Finally, I found out that the forum itself is the best place for me for almost everything.
I have understood after many years that the most users don't want a second, third, fourth area.
Correct.
1680358883404.webp
having these extra areas was always suboptimal.

I can only speak for the forums I know.
I am sure there are other forums where people care for the wiki, the calendar, the gallery or other things.

Anyway, I have some ideas how to use the forum for some different things, but unfortunately, I am very slow with my coding ...

Top Bottom