Widget position New Posts Sidebar

Mr Lucky

I was confused by the Widget positions. It seems that the widget position Forum New Posts: Sidebar is available but does not show unless you have New Posts set as default forum view.

This makes no sense to me. It should be possible to use this widget position whether or not New Posts is a default view.

My suggestion is to be able to have widgets in that Sidebar.

EDIT: in fact I would like to have a sidebar position for widgets on all pages (that don't already have a sidebar/sidenav.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
Sort of independent of the suggestion itself, changes have been made to that widget position to make it clearer when it applies.

In terms of this position though, we've hesitated to do anything to this page for two reasons:
  1. These pages can have a sidenav already, depending on configuration (the tab bar can be moved to the side if you prefer).
  2. Would it feel inconsistent if a sidebar seemingly randomly appeared and disappeared when clicking through the what's new sections/tabs?
It does require a little extra work, but it is possible to add widgets with a small template edit even if there's no position.

Would it feel inconsistent if a sidebar seemingly randomly appeared and disappeared when clicking through the what's new sections/tabs?

OK, well let's have a sidebar everywhere option then, that would be consistent and is really what I'm after. doing ultimately (That's the way I have it configured now with Widget framework)

In fact it's inconsistent as it is if you have widgets sidebar on Forum list, then it disappears on other pages.

That's what the "Public: Sidebar" related positions should do.

That sounds great but If I put anything in that position I get this:

Code:
An exception occurred: [ErrorException] [E_USER_WARNING] No template type was provided. Provide template name in type:name format. in src/XF/Template/Templater.php on line 1111

XF::handlePhpError()
trigger_error() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1111
XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate() in src/XF/Widget/Html.php at line 16
XF\Widget\Html->render() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1407
XF\Template\Templater->widgetPosition() in src/XF/Pub/App.php at line 416
XF\Pub\App->renderPageHtml() in src/XF/App.php at line 1666
XF\App->renderPage() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 310
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 44
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1831
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
XF::runApp() in index.php at line 13

That's what the "Public: Sidebar" related positions should do.

What does "public sidebar" mean? Does that place it on every single page?

I want to place a consistent sidebar with widgets on most places but some places are too squashed (e.g. pages like the alerts and members list which have a left sidenav) so I want to omit the widget sidebar on those pages. We'd also want to omit it from the thread view.

I can't seem to find a way (without editing the templates and manually adding the widgets) to include a sidebar on say What's New and other places where I want it.

It is every page. To exempt specific pages, you'd likely need to edit templates directly (or perhaps use an HTML widget with conditionals).

I mentioned some reasons in my first response in this thread.

I'm maybe misunderstanding but your first point is just not valid is it? You have other sidebar widget positions for other pages that already have a sidenav don't you?

I don't really understand your second point.

I'm talking about having a sidebar on index.php?whats-new/ level. When you tab through you go to index.php?whats-new/profile-posts/, index.php?whats-new/latest-activity, etc but there're all still "part" of index.php?whats-new/ and there should be a sidebar widget position that applies to all of those pages.

Hope that makes sense :)

Last edited:
It would be pretty cool to have the ability to have a right-side sidebar widget position (as you can have on the member's profile page). If you are using the top nav capability as I do on the member's page and what's new page, it would be nice to put something on the right side (not just a left side nav widget). If I have that side nav turned off, it would still be nice to have that right position to put something.

Hi @Mike I agree with @RobParker and @Mr Lucky - we should have an option to add the Sidebar to What’s New. Your message about it being not there to avoid inconsistencies is exactly the opposite what this is doing by not having it there. It’s one of the most popular pages on my site but its not at all easy to make it look like the rest of my forum.

Please, put an option to allow What’s New to have a sidebar (without template hacks)

Thanks,Rob.

Last edited:
Top Bottom