• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Widget position New Posts Sidebar

Mr Lucky

I was confused by the Widget positions. It seems that the widget position Forum New Posts: Sidebar is available but does not show unless you have New Posts set as default forum view.

This makes no sense to me. It should be possible to use this widget position whether or not New Posts is a default view.

My suggestion is to be able to have widgets in that Sidebar.

EDIT: in fact I would like to have a sidebar position for widgets on all pages (that don't already have a sidebar/sidenav.

Last edited:

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Sort of independent of the suggestion itself, changes have been made to that widget position to make it clearer when it applies.

In terms of this position though, we've hesitated to do anything to this page for two reasons:
  1. These pages can have a sidenav already, depending on configuration (the tab bar can be moved to the side if you prefer).
  2. Would it feel inconsistent if a sidebar seemingly randomly appeared and disappeared when clicking through the what's new sections/tabs?
It does require a little extra work, but it is possible to add widgets with a small template edit even if there's no position.

Mr Lucky

Would it feel inconsistent if a sidebar seemingly randomly appeared and disappeared when clicking through the what's new sections/tabs?
OK, well let's have a sidebar everywhere option then, that would be consistent and is really what I'm after. doing ultimately (That's the way I have it configured now with Widget framework)

Mr Lucky

That's what the "Public: Sidebar" related positions should do.
That sounds great but If I put anything in that position I get this:

Code:
An exception occurred: [ErrorException] [E_USER_WARNING] No template type was provided. Provide template name in type:name format. in src/XF/Template/Templater.php on line 1111

XF::handlePhpError()
trigger_error() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1111
XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate() in src/XF/Widget/Html.php at line 16
XF\Widget\Html->render() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1407
XF\Template\Templater->widgetPosition() in src/XF/Pub/App.php at line 416
XF\Pub\App->renderPageHtml() in src/XF/App.php at line 1666
XF\App->renderPage() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 310
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 44
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1831
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
XF::runApp() in index.php at line 13