XF 1.5 Why nothing in email bounce log?

Mr Lucky

I'm using Amazon SES SMPT for mail.

I got a report from Amazon of a bounced post notification:

Code:
Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxx@cc.hut.fi
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <xxxxx@cc.hut.fi>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown

So I presume that is an invalid address.

But nothing shows in the xenforo email bounce log.

Shouldn't that show all non-deliverable bounced email?

Was that bounce notification email delivered to the account you have configured in the bounce handler (and have the POP3/IMAP details pointing at it)?

Note that SES does potentially do some non-standard things as it does/can use SNS for notifications, which we don't process.

Was that bounce notification email delivered to the account you have configured in the bounce handler (and have the POP3/IMAP details pointing at it)?

Aha, I know nothing about that, it's not actually enabled. Is that what I need to get bounce log working? I found nothing about it in the xenforo manual, where do I find out how to configure it?

You first need to set up an email account which can receive bounce notifications, e.g. bounce@yourdomain.com.

That account should be accessible using either POP or IMAP.

The email address for the account should be added to the Bounced Email Address option in Admin CP > Options > Email Options.

You should check the "Enable automated bounced email handler" and populate the POP or IMAP credentials.

Bounced emails will be sent to the bounced address, and then XF will use the POP or IMAP credentials to log in to the account programmatically to process the bounced messages.

Amazon SES bounces are processed just fine for me. Note that you need "Email Feedback Forwarding" enabled, as SNS reports will not be processed correctly. I am sending email via SMTP (no extra add-ons/relays) and Amazon forwards the bounces to the address configured in XF.

Top Bottom