Why not focus on popular modifications from other platforms?

SCRIPT3R

It seems it might be of interest for XF to have additional focus on the implementation of at least the more popular, most-installed modifications done to other platforms to have as built-in features of XF.

Or they could focus on the core/guts of XF... Would be better to give 3rd party developers a fantastic platform to develop on (which XF is btw). Personally I think that's a better long term strategy than trying to do one-off copies of add-ons for other platforms.

It seems it might be of interest for XF to have additional focus on the implementation of at least the more popular, most-installed modifications done to other platforms to have as built-in features of XF.
Because the majority of what people really think is popular, or that they need.. Usage statistics usually indicate it's not the case. The % lies quite a bit less than admins sometimes believe they need for a site.

Rethinking what is desired, customizing it to a personal need and sharing what has been developed, is something I rather see done. Great teamwork between developers and sharing and giving back to the community so everybody benefits. Only results in greater contributions to the community and flexible / dynamic and powerful smart innovating add-ons for great sites. Porting over an idea that seems popular, usually results in it not going anywhere. That's just my personal opinion, based on observing many communities, small and big, generic topics and niche markets. And based on their shared statistics and experiences with me.

And adding to this. When you come and read all these mods or features each person says XenForo "must, must, must have now". Can you imagine what the software would be like 12 months from now if Kier and Mike added them all, it would fast become a bloated load of junk. Some of us have seen this happen, thankfully Kier made it clear from the start they didn't want to head down that same (mistake of a road) made by another certain forum software.

Of course we all want to see XenForo grow and improve with some features, that's only normal and it does still lack things which may come later. But you have to draw the line somewhere otherwise it would just get turned into bloated rubbish. Worth keeping in mind also, that many of the people who scream black and blue for this and that to be added, 12 months later ain't running a forum anymore.

Are these features not popular then?

Thread prefixes
User group promotions
Account upgrades
Warning system
Custom user fields
Automatic media embedding
RSS feed import
Spam management
etc.

The development community is growing and if you look at some of the most installed addons from other forum development communities you will see that a lot of those addons have alternatives here. Not everything is done, but a lot of them are in the works by various developers who love this software. We're working on the forms addon which is very popular and that's just one example. We have already seen growth in the XenForo Addon community and I expect it to continue to grow with XenForo's core.

Top Bottom