1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you manage your own forum ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblues, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mrblues

mrblues Member

What are your motives to run a forum ?
    would you consider joining another forum and becoming a dominant user there instead ? why ?
  2. MYstIC G

MYstIC G Active Member

With mine I think that there are plenty of sites about for game consoles but that the majority of them just turn into big adverts. I wanted to start a forum where people could just talk about games without that "oh no, the corporate sponsor don't like that so it must be censored" vibe.
  3. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Darkimmortal likes this.
  4. Gizmo99

Gizmo99 Member

I am the web team leader for a Car club :)
  5. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Rob Fritz and Peggy like this.
  6. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

Sucker for punishment, apparently. [​IMG]
    Dean and Dragonfly like this.
  7. AnthonyCea

Exactly, many of us are for sure !!
  8. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

I'm in it for the big bucks![​IMG]
    Peggy likes this.
  9. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

The way to go:
    Here you are:
  10. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider it because I've actually done it and still do it for near on 4-5 years and helped, contributed to other forums over my own. Why? I can only guess that I prefer it and it saves me maintaining my own forum. It's easier for me to post and contribute to other forums knowing once I've posted I haven't the worry to maintain styles, update and continuously post content on my own. I suppose I can post at leisure on other forums where on my own I'd need to post content which then doesn't feel like a hobby but more work related.

That said, Sometime in the next 6 months I'll get my forum opened and see where that leads. I'll most probably get bored with it again. :p
  11. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

Is that a good reason? [​IMG]
  12. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Because no one else will do it. [​IMG]
    erich37 likes this.
  13. Salty

Salty Active Member

Bringing a massive audience together. Using the collective power of that community to build relationships with other large communities.

Take those relationships, package them under independent agreements, and you have a functioning network with community leaders and an audience that rivals the largest networks on the internet.

This is when you have options; development, advertising, and capital.

Great success.

I'm so against purchasing communities. Curse, ZAM, Crowdgather; all the big forum networks buy out popular forums and crap all over it. Never give up your independent control. Build relationships instead.
  14. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Because 30 years of hard won high tech experience shouldn't have to die with me and one shouldn't have to pay consultant fees everytime they have a question that can be easily answered.
  15. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

It began innocently enough out of a sheer desire to learn the inner workings and became a place for friends to hang out from all around the globe. Now it is a part of the daily ins and outs. :)
  16. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

because more often than not, i make the better admin.
    mjp and Peggy like this.
  17. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Another forum on the subject did not exist. If it had, I wouldn't have seen any point in starting a second one.

But I joined this forum and became the dominant user within minutes of joining, and that was fun. But you don't see me lording it over people. I'm too humble.
  18. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Oh brother.......... [​IMG]
    mjp likes this.
  19. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

I think the question should be "Why don't you manage your own forum?"
  20. AnthonyCea

Kier please add a LOL button so I can spam it on MJP's posts !!