• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why do you manage your own forum ?

What are your motives to run a forum ?
would you consider joining another forum and becoming a dominant user there instead ? why ?

MYstIC G

With mine I think that there are plenty of sites about for game consoles but that the majority of them just turn into big adverts. I wanted to start a forum where people could just talk about games without that "oh no, the corporate sponsor don't like that so it must be censored" vibe.

Shelley

What are your motives to run a forum ?
would you consider joining another forum and becoming a dominant user there instead ? why ?
I wouldn't consider it because I've actually done it and still do it for near on 4-5 years and helped, contributed to other forums over my own. Why? I can only guess that I prefer it and it saves me maintaining my own forum. It's easier for me to post and contribute to other forums knowing once I've posted I haven't the worry to maintain styles, update and continuously post content on my own. I suppose I can post at leisure on other forums where on my own I'd need to post content which then doesn't feel like a hobby but more work related.

That said, Sometime in the next 6 months I'll get my forum opened and see where that leads. I'll most probably get bored with it again. :p

Salty

Bringing a massive audience together. Using the collective power of that community to build relationships with other large communities.

Take those relationships, package them under independent agreements, and you have a functioning network with community leaders and an audience that rivals the largest networks on the internet.

This is when you have options; development, advertising, and capital.

Great success.

I'm so against purchasing communities. Curse, ZAM, Crowdgather; all the big forum networks buy out popular forums and crap all over it. Never give up your independent control. Build relationships instead.

Fred Sherman

Because 30 years of hard won high tech experience shouldn't have to die with me and one shouldn't have to pay consultant fees everytime they have a question that can be easily answered.

Robert F Schmitz

It began innocently enough out of a sheer desire to learn the inner workings and became a place for friends to hang out from all around the globe. Now it is a part of the daily ins and outs. :)

mjp

would you consider joining another forum and becoming a dominant user there instead?
Another forum on the subject did not exist. If it had, I wouldn't have seen any point in starting a second one.

But I joined this forum and became the dominant user within minutes of joining, and that was fun. But you don't see me lording it over people. I'm too humble.