1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you host a Internet Forum?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Borgia, Aug 25, 2010.

?

Why do you host a Internet Forum?

1. Income

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Passion about the theme

31 vote(s)
    73.8%
  3. Something to do

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Promote a service/business

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Other - please state

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Borgia

Borgia New Member

Hi guys,

I am thinking of starting a forum. Partly for something to do but I also hope that it will provide a modest income in a couple of years. Why do you do it?

2. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Picked passion and something to do; My projects tend to be either a time/money sink or are a way of returning something to the community. 

3. James

James Well-Known Member

I don't open my forums solely to make an income, the income comes from the features and the effort which comes from the passion I put into creating the forum. As you can see, they're all intertwined to some degree in my own forum.

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

So I have an excuse to consume mass quantities of Ibprophen. :p

Lawrence likes this.
  5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Like the others who posted here...I started mine due to passion for the subject I opened my forums for. I was an active member / moderator on a site who was bought out by a bigger company. Once that happened and things started going downhill, as I suspected they would...I decided to open my own forum.

Brandon_R likes this.
  6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That seems to happen alot. Something gets bought off by a bigger company, starts to go downhill, the main people in the original scene breaks off and start something better :) Reminds you of anything?

Grover likes this.
  7. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Hehe, starting a forum to make money of it. Good luck with that. I wonder when you'll realize it's not as easy as it seems.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Passion, and the passion usually leads to the other categories.

9. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

Good one. :D

10. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I'm into self torture.. and the pain of running a community fulfils my sadistic tendencies ;)

11. Forsaken

Masochistic*

12. Borgia

Borgia New Member

Actually, I do not think that it is easy. And I think that there is a very good chance that I might completly fail. But I want to give it a go.

Forsaken and Abomination like this.
  13. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

+1 respect on that.

Still -1 for not wanting to start it because you like it though. :)

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I run my forum purely to try and reach out and help.

Abomination likes this.
  15. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

If I told you the reason I started one you would not believe me.

16. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

First three. But started out as passion/hobby.

17. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

For me it is both my passion and it is my online identity. I use my site and forum like most people use Facebook now.

anotheralias likes this.
  18. Forsaken

Pickup girls? It never works :'(.

Sador likes this.
  19. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I started a forum because the board I was posting on was suddenly yanked offline and we had nowhere to go.

I don't use advertising, so "income" was never a factor.

20. Borgia

Borgia New Member

:)

I do not think that I have expressed myself very well. I want to create a forum for a group of people to discuss what interests them. I clearly have an idea of what type of things those will be but it will not be the same as say creating a forum for people who like cars, for example.

So I am not sure that I can say at this point that I like it. What I can say is that I would have really valued this forum at one point and think that it could be a really useful resource for a lot of people. And if that happens, I am sure that I will like it very much :)

I want to do it properly so it has the best chance of suceeding, that will cost time and money but I want to give it a go

Forsaken likes this.