• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why do you host a Internet Forum?

Why do you host a Internet Forum?

• Income

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Passion about the theme

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Something to do

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Promote a service/business

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Borgia

Hi guys,

I am thinking of starting a forum. Partly for something to do but I also hope that it will provide a modest income in a couple of years. Why do you do it?

Forsaken

Picked passion and something to do; My projects tend to be either a time/money sink or are a way of returning something to the community. 

James

I don't open my forums solely to make an income, the income comes from the features and the effort which comes from the passion I put into creating the forum. As you can see, they're all intertwined to some degree in my own forum.

jmurrayhead

Like the others who posted here...I started mine due to passion for the subject I opened my forums for. I was an active member / moderator on a site who was bought out by a bigger company. Once that happened and things started going downhill, as I suspected they would...I decided to open my own forum.

Like the others who posted here...I started mine due to passion for the subject I opened my forums for. I was an active member / moderator on a site who was bought out by a bigger company. Once that happened and things started going downhill, as I suspected they would...I decided to open my own forum.
That seems to happen alot. Something gets bought off by a bigger company, starts to go downhill, the main people in the original scene breaks off and start something better :) Reminds you of anything?

Sador

Hehe, starting a forum to make money of it. Good luck with that. I wonder when you'll realize it's not as easy as it seems.

anotheralias

I started a forum because the board I was posting on was suddenly yanked offline and we had nowhere to go.

I don't use advertising, so "income" was never a factor.

+1 respect on that.

Still -1 for not wanting to start it because you like it though. :)
:)

I do not think that I have expressed myself very well. I want to create a forum for a group of people to discuss what interests them. I clearly have an idea of what type of things those will be but it will not be the same as say creating a forum for people who like cars, for example.

So I am not sure that I can say at this point that I like it. What I can say is that I would have really valued this forum at one point and think that it could be a really useful resource for a lot of people. And if that happens, I am sure that I will like it very much :)

I want to do it properly so it has the best chance of suceeding, that will cost time and money but I want to give it a go