Why do some people close their forum

Senpai

Why do some people close their forum after like 2 years time keeping it up.

I've seen allot of people succeed have about 100k posts and then close their forum .

Is it the amount that they have to pay for the hosting, or does it get boring after many years ?

I see a lot of people say they are selling or closing because they can't maintain it. School, work, life, etc. Post count doesn't equal activity. Some sites are based around things that die off. The worst is to see a site sold and the new owner does something that kills off activity.

Something that starts as a hobby can be hard to fund once it becomes successful. I mean I refuse to use advertising, but its a necessary evil sometimes. So I don't start projects that need funding. It's possible to take a $5 dollar DO VPS and support 250 concurrent users if properly configured. But once you explode, once you have a ton of guest traffic. It's going to take more.

I see a lot of people say they are selling or closing because they can't maintain it. School, work, life, etc. Post count doesn't equal activity. Some sites are based around things that die off. The worst is to see a site sold and the new owner does something that kills off activity.

Something that starts as a hobby can be hard to fund once it becomes successful. I mean I refuse to use advertising, but its a necessary evil sometimes. So I don't start projects that need funding. It's possible to take a $5 dollar DO VPS and support 250 concurrent users if properly configured. But once you explode, once you have a ton of guest traffic. It's going to take more.

I really think this is my hobby , but what I'm scared of is my school work like you said I really want to be like @Chris D or @Brogan and build up my community . Ahh man I guess I will never achieve my dream :(

I really think this is my hobby , but what I'm scared of is my school work like you said I really want to be like @Chris D or @Brogan and build up my community . Ahh man I guess I will never achieve my dream :(

Depends on what you are doing. At a certain point owners are sometimes hands off. You have someone who can handle updating Xenforo the plugins and the theme. You have a moderation team that can handle the users.

Depends on what you are doing. At a certain point owners are sometimes hands off. You have someone who can handle updating Xenforo the plugins and the theme. You have a moderation team that can handle the users.
I got moderators and that's it do you really think that I should get a person to help me out with updating and etc

Ahh man I guess I will never achieve my dream

This depends only at yourself.
Don't try to copy someone or something.

Have a unique idea. Build your forum around that. And keep in mind that success don't come overnight.

You need to have patience.
You will have bad and frustrating times as well as good times.

This depends only at yourself.
Don't try to copy someone or something.

Have a unique idea. Build your forum around that. And keep in mind that success don't come overnight.

You need to have patience.
You will have bad and frustrating times as well as good times.
yehh thats what i wanted to do

Start focusing on content. As long as the site has been up, you should be well above 16 threads and 40 posts, especially with a mod team of three.
yeh i think i got more then that
That's the wrong attitude to start anything with. You have to be confident and start thinking about how you will manage your forum when it does become successful.
ohh okey

It's okay to fail, you know. You learn from failure more than you learn from success, sometimes. What matters is the ability to apply what you have learned.

I've had a quick look at your particular site, and here are a few thoughts:
  • Your link just says "check out my website". That's not attractive. You need to tell people what it's about to encourage them to look.
  • Cloudflare kept me waiting ten seconds while it checked I wasn't a DDoS attack. Most people will have left by then and never even seen your site.
  • I love your design! I think it's snappy, legible, and bang on for a starter gaming site.
  • Content. You need content, badly. You have a whole bunch of empty forums there. Either pare it down and only create new forums (and move threads into them) when it becomes apparent that people want to talk about that thing a lot, or start creating content for those subforums. I would pare down the number of subforums you have right now. Make it look snug and small. People love getting into new communities at ground level, not ones which already look like a ghost town. Why, for instance, do you have a whole bunch of off-topic forums when two at most would do? And you really shouldn't have a visible subforum called "Monetizing Methods" because it sends up a red flag to potential new members that, well, you want to monetize them ;)
  • The default new user avatar makes it look like all your new users are test users set up by the admin. Change the default to something less personalised.
  • There's nothing there to tell new visitors what your site is for. Yes, it looks "obvious" from the forum titles, but what's different about you? What do your premium memberships offer?
A brand new gaming forum is a damn hard sell. You've chosen an incredibly hard subject matter to get new people to sign up for. Most gamers are either already on well-established sites, or they do all their gamer socializing through in-game chat, Teamspeak servers, and so on. So you're going to have to work extra hard to find new members, convince them to sign up, and get them posting. On average you can expect maybe 10% of your overall members to be regular posters, and your membership may be only 10% of your total visitors, the rest remaining lurkers no matter how many times they visit, so if you manage to draw 1,000 pairs of eyes, you might get 100 sign-ups, and 10 new regular members. Those are the kinds of numbers we're looking at here.

You can do this one of two ways. Slowly, with trickle-in members arriving over the next ten years, or fast, with a lot of investment. It can cost easily upwards of $15,000 to start a new board and make it big quickly. Hiring staff, hiring people to produce content, paying for advertising, all this and more is a huge business expense but can be - if you've chosen your market and staff well - very rewarding. If you're doing it without a whack of capital, then slow and steady is the way, and you have to nurture it like it's a seed you just planted. You can't go AWOL for a week at a time. You can't expect it to suddenly get big overnight. You can't go promoting all your friends to the staff team. You gotta feed it. Water it. Nip and prune the dead bits. It's a constant process. It is work. And for a long time it's going to be work that you're doing for free (though at the very least I'd get an affiliate link system set up so that if people do say "go buy this game" and link to it, you might earn a few pennies from each sale made that way).

It's okay to fail, you know. You learn from failure more than you learn from success, sometimes. What matters is the ability to apply what you have learned.

I've had a quick look at your particular site, and here are a few thoughts:
  • Your link just says "check out my website". That's not attractive. You need to tell people what it's about to encourage them to look.
  • Cloudflare kept me waiting ten seconds while it checked I wasn't a DDoS attack. Most people will have left by then and never even seen your site.
  • I love your design! I think it's snappy, legible, and bang on for a starter gaming site.
  • Content. You need content, badly. You have a whole bunch of empty forums there. Either pare it down and only create new forums (and move threads into them) when it becomes apparent that people want to talk about that thing a lot, or start creating content for those subforums. I would pare down the number of subforums you have right now. Make it look snug and small. People love getting into new communities at ground level, not ones which already look like a ghost town. Why, for instance, do you have a whole bunch of off-topic forums when two at most would do? And you really shouldn't have a visible subforum called "Monetizing Methods" because it sends up a red flag to potential new members that, well, you want to monetize them ;)
  • The default new user avatar makes it look like all your new users are test users set up by the admin. Change the default to something less personalised.
  • There's nothing there to tell new visitors what your site is for. Yes, it looks "obvious" from the forum titles, but what's different about you? What do your premium memberships offer?
A brand new gaming forum is a damn hard sell. You've chosen an incredibly hard subject matter to get new people to sign up for. Most gamers are either already on well-established sites, or they do all their gamer socializing through in-game chat, Teamspeak servers, and so on. So you're going to have to work extra hard to find new members, convince them to sign up, and get them posting. On average you can expect maybe 10% of your overall members to be regular posters, and your membership may be only 10% of your total visitors, the rest remaining lurkers no matter how many times they visit, so if you manage to draw 1,000 pairs of eyes, you might get 100 sign-ups, and 10 new regular members. Those are the kinds of numbers we're looking at here.

You can do this one of two ways. Slowly, with trickle-in members arriving over the next ten years, or fast, with a lot of investment. It can cost easily upwards of $15,000 to start a new board and make it big quickly. Hiring staff, hiring people to produce content, paying for advertising, all this and more is a huge business expense but can be - if you've chosen your market and staff well - very rewarding. If you're doing it without a whack of capital, then slow and steady is the way, and you have to nurture it like it's a seed you just planted. You can't go AWOL for a week at a time. You can't expect it to suddenly get big overnight. You can't go promoting all your friends to the staff team. You gotta feed it. Water it. Nip and prune the dead bits. It's a constant process. It is work. And for a long time it's going to be work that you're doing for free (though at the very least I'd get an affiliate link system set up so that if people do say "go buy this game" and link to it, you might earn a few pennies from each sale made that way).
thank you soo much , you really are great with words . i will listen to your feedback Thank you soo much for putting your time on this and looking at my site . it means allot to me :)

I think until you get to a point where your statistics actually look good then you should hide them. I look at your site I see empty forums, 58 members and 40 posts! That isn't encouraging.
Hide those blocks until they work in your favour!

I think until you get to a point where your statistics actually look good then you should hide them. I look at your site I see empty forums, 58 members and 40 posts! That isn't encouraging.
Hide those blocks until they work in your favour!

Still pretty easy to see no activity due to the counts in each forum though. :(

Yeh, you can hide those with template conditionals. You don't want to flaunt a dead site, so small changes like that might help the site look more attractive.

Yeh, you can hide those with template conditionals. You don't want to flaunt a dead site, so small changes like that might help the site look more attractive.
ohh soo it would be much better without sparkly colors ?

ohh soo it would be much better without sparkly colors ?
I was referring to your statistics box showing the number of members/messages etc. You're better off hiding them until you have members and messages of a substantial value.

Top Bottom