JS Usage - why do some people think it's "overdoing it"?

James

I've seen posts here and on other sites that complain that there's too much JavaScript being used... but JavaScript is cached by your browser so it technically improves speed load the more you use the forum, right? 8-)

Lucky we haven't done that then, eh?

Indeed, I love your JS implementation and have yet to find a single bit of this site that doesn't work without JS... Brilliant :D

Some people do still see JS as a gimmick and others see it as a security risk... But the web is moving forward and for decent websites these days you need a combination of HTML/CSS & JS...

HTML -> Structure
CSS -> Style
JS -> Effects & Functionality

If you cut out any of these items you just won't experience the web the same way, and more fool you :D... Imaging browsing sites with absolutely no CSS... Just nonstyled text and JS :P... Not fun

I like JS but somethings seem to feel like they are are getting in the way like the forum descriptions and the dropdown menu for sub forums.

Those are the only problems I have with the use of JS on this forum.

I would prefer if sub-forums showed 2-3 sub-forums and have the drop down button after, or to display them in columns or a single row.

I like JS but somethings seem to feel like they are are getting in the way like the forum descriptions and the dropdown menu for sub forums.

Both of these are done for reasons of space. After you have read the forum description once, how often are you going to read it again?

Forum descriptions are there primarily for new visitors who will tend to be more tentative with their navigation, and have a good chance of triggering the description tooltips as they look around.

Yep, I totally agree with you. But still, I don't think that is an enough reason to hide them this way.
I'm not saying this way not good, No, I like it the way it is here, but it has some benefits to show the forum description all the time along with the thread title.

Yep, I totally agree with you. But still, I don't think that is an enough reason to hide them this way.
I'm not saying this way not good, No, I like it the way it is here, but it has some benefits to show the forum description all the time along with the thread title.

I understand Kier's reasoning, but I certainly agree with your point of view. I also very much would like the forum descriptions back as static text, because I want my (new and existing) users to be able to see the descriptions at all times, not only if they have to mouseover over every single one to find out what the description is.

In my oppinion, anyone who turns off JS (out of choice) deserves to have a screwed up internet experience. There are zero reasons to disable it.

Its like IE users (sorry folks). They deserve to see broken websites for not trying out one of the 'up - to - standards' browsers.

I understand Kier's reasoning, but I certainly agree with your point of view. I also very much would like the forum descriptions back as static text, because I want my (new and existing) users to be able to see the descriptions at all times, not only if they have to mouseover over every single one to find out what the description is.

Doing so is as simple as editing the appropriate template and removing an attribute from the <a> tag that surrounds the forum title.

In my oppinion, anyone who turns off JS (out of choice) deserves to have a screwed up internet experience. There are zero reasons to disable it.

Its like IE users (sorry folks). They deserve to see broken websites for not trying out one of the 'up - to - standards' browsers.

Many blind and visually impaired users turn off JS as it interferes with screen readers.

Both of these are done for reasons of space. After you have read the forum description once, how often are you going to read it again?

Forum descriptions are there primarily for new visitors who will tend to be more tentative with their navigation, and have a good chance of triggering the description tooltips as they look around.

Love this reasoning. Once you've read the forum description once, are you really going to read it again? You already know what the forum is about. :)

As far as the overuse of Javascript, I have to agree with others that JavaScript is really not overused here. It's not getting in my way, it's helping and improving the UI of the site. You also have to remember that JavaScript is getting faster and faster thanks to additional attention by browser makers. It's really the way of the future. :)

I would fall into the group of never turning off (non-external) javascript. Simple things like inline editing and AJAX just add to the whole user experience. However, I think it's a smart thing to code anything to not be reliant on a technology that can be turned off.

That is, code so that Javascript can fail gracefully, but still allow the user to perform the tasks they need (as Dismounted said).

That said, with Firefox and Chromium out and having so many options, there's no reason to use a non-JS supported browser.

I would fall into the group of never turning off (non-external) javascript. Simple things like inline editing and AJAX just add to the whole user experience. However, I think it's a smart thing to code anything to not be reliant on a technology that can be turned off.

That is, code so that Javascript can fail gracefully, but still allow the user to perform the tasks they need (as Dismounted said).

That said, with Firefox and Chromium out and having so many options, there's no reason to use a non-JS supported browser.

xenForo does this really well.

Doing so is as simple as editing the appropriate template and removing an attribute from the <a> tag that surrounds the forum title.

Yes, I read it earlier somewhere (can't remember... such a huge amount of postings here in just 1 single week!) where you or Mike explained it. If it is that easy, then there is no problem for those customer who need static text. Great!

I think what matters more is for the forum to work well even without JavaScript enabled. I personally think JavaScript, and indeed JQuery, should be used to enhanced an already working website. So, basically, the forum should be usable with or without JavaScript enabled.

I think what matters more is for the forum to work well even without JavaScript enabled. I personally think JavaScript, and indeed JQuery, should be used to enhanced an already working website. So, basically, the forum should be usable with or without JavaScript enabled.

As far as I'm aware, this entire system is built with all the information provided by JS (or alternatives such as the member card) as a normal non-js browser, and the JS just modifies it. So when its off, it looks normal and still works.

Okay maybe have a little X button or image when you hover over the forum that will stop that from popping up and if you want to turn it back on have it so it shows a + or something along them lines.

Top Bottom