1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JS Usage - why do some people think it's "overdoing it"?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by James, Aug 5, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I've seen posts here and on other sites that complain that there's too much JavaScript being used... but JavaScript is cached by your browser so it technically improves speed load the more you use the forum, right? :cool:
  2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Javascript is the future guys :)

I got nothing agains it.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I am fine with a good bit of javascript being used in a product, as long as its properly used. If we have javascript to layout the entire page, rather than CSS (I know, bad example), it becomes to much. Until then, I'm fine with it.
  4. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Totally fine with the use of js and jQuery in particular. I really like jQuery, it's just... Well, fun. :)

If a guest is blocking js in their browser there's soooo much on the internet that will be broken for them, I don't have a lot of sympathy. jQuery and CSS FTW, two great tools that work great together!
  5. Danny.VBT

Danny.VBT Active Member

For some reason, many still have a mentality of JS as being a "meddling" language that adds nonsensical little trinkets to webpages (remember those silly scripts that made snowflake graphics descends from your browser?). But as VincentU said, it is part of the future of web development, and is a necessary component for rich interactive UIs.
    jmurrayhead likes this.
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's probably it Danny.

People say it affects page load etc, but when it gets cached it really doesn't and it's hard explaining that to stubborn and people stuck in their old habits.
  7. iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches Active Member

I like a more developed back-end that is highly extensible, then a flashy front-end. As a pre-alpha this has the flashy-ness perfectly, but how does the underlying structure look? :eek:
    dieketzer likes this.
  8. James

James Well-Known Member

Kier is forever bragging about how it's super-easy for him to code with the XF framework so I am completely looking forward to seeing what it looks like!
  9. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

I'm fine with JS, Ajax and jQuery, They are really fun, but they should be used only as needed, not more.
  10. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

The future is now.

Javascript already is a necessary component, especially if you want to build the rich interactive UIs users have grown accustomed to and have come to expect. One can either fight that, and be left behind, or embrace it.
    jmurrayhead likes this.
  11. Koleckai

Koleckai New Member

A lot of people remember the JavaScript of the 90's and early 2000's. It was slow, bulky and hard to deal with. As such, most people disabled it in their allow browsers. What we have today is much more streamlined, easier to use cross-browser and much much faster. Unless you're using Internet Explorer that is...

There is no need to fear proper JavaScript today and studies say that 97% to 99% of browsers have it enabled. Most of the web uses it. This site uses it efficiently and without detriment. More JavaScript and AJAX where appropriate would be beneficial.
  12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

xF isn't overdoing it with javascript, they are using it efficiently and effectively.
  13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Guess that I'll need elinks or higher when viewing XF sites.

No more emacs-w3m D:
  14. James

James Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only person who looks at JS-haters with a scorn ;)
  15. Dismounted

Dismounted Well-Known Member

As long JavaScript usage is unobtrusive and degrades gracefully, I don't, and most people don't, have a problem with it.
    James likes this.
  16. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

I hate JS if it's used in a way that the site won't function without it.
    Ceri May likes this.
  17. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Lucky we haven't done that then, eh?
    Disjunto and Ceri May like this.
  18. Dismounted

Dismounted Well-Known Member

Time to test it out then, eh? :D
  19. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

Yup :D
  20. Chris Keenan