JS Usage - why do some people think it's "overdoing it"?

James

I've seen posts here and on other sites that complain that there's too much JavaScript being used... but JavaScript is cached by your browser so it technically improves speed load the more you use the forum, right? 8-)

I am fine with a good bit of javascript being used in a product, as long as its properly used. If we have javascript to layout the entire page, rather than CSS (I know, bad example), it becomes to much. Until then, I'm fine with it.

::nods::
Totally fine with the use of js and jQuery in particular. I really like jQuery, it's just... Well, fun. :)

If a guest is blocking js in their browser there's soooo much on the internet that will be broken for them, I don't have a lot of sympathy. jQuery and CSS FTW, two great tools that work great together!

For some reason, many still have a mentality of JS as being a "meddling" language that adds nonsensical little trinkets to webpages (remember those silly scripts that made snowflake graphics descends from your browser?). But as VincentU said, it is part of the future of web development, and is a necessary component for rich interactive UIs.

Yeah, that's probably it Danny.

People say it affects page load etc, but when it gets cached it really doesn't and it's hard explaining that to stubborn and people stuck in their old habits.

I like a more developed back-end that is highly extensible, then a flashy front-end. As a pre-alpha this has the flashy-ness perfectly, but how does the underlying structure look? :eek:
Kier is forever bragging about how it's super-easy for him to code with the XF framework so I am completely looking forward to seeing what it looks like!

The future is now.

Javascript already is a necessary component, especially if you want to build the rich interactive UIs users have grown accustomed to and have come to expect. One can either fight that, and be left behind, or embrace it.

I've seen posts here and on other sites that complain that there's too much JavaScript being used... but JavaScript is cached by your browser so it technically improves speed load the more you use the forum, right? 8-)
A lot of people remember the JavaScript of the 90's and early 2000's. It was slow, bulky and hard to deal with. As such, most people disabled it in their allow browsers. What we have today is much more streamlined, easier to use cross-browser and much much faster. Unless you're using Internet Explorer that is...

There is no need to fear proper JavaScript today and studies say that 97% to 99% of browsers have it enabled. Most of the web uses it. This site uses it efficiently and without detriment. More JavaScript and AJAX where appropriate would be beneficial.

Top Bottom