Why do some not upgrade and some do ASAP?

WCFA

Now it makes sense to me when a new XF update comes out and its a security improvement people update.
I tend to wait a short time to make sure its a clean update.
But the point of this post is why do some not update and still run versions like 1.0.2 an alike.
Perhaps its Mysql versions ??
I read periodically members here posting support on some very old versions, however being they
can posts; this means their are paid up to that point for support? I just wondered why some update and
some don't ?

Last edited:
XP, I assume you mean XF? It could be pretty difficult for some 1.1 sites to make the leap to 1.2+ between styles needing complete redo's and the numerous amounts of abandoned addon's.

Many large sites such as IGN are also going to be stuck on older version due to heavy customization of the core and complex deployments. While most sites won't have an excuse to not jump between say 1.3 and 1.4.

XP, I assume you mean XF? It could be pretty difficult for some 1.1 sites to make the leap to 1.2+ between styles needing complete redo's and the numerous amounts of abandoned addon's.

Many large sites such as IGN are also going to be stuck on older version due to heavy customization of the core and complex deployments. While most sites won't have an excuse to not jump between say 1.3 and 1.4.
LOL Yea XF.:confused:. I have only been using "XF" since 1.2.4 I think and just upgraded every few months.
I guess I was not aware and hence why I asked figured there would be a reason. Thanks for the explanation.

Addons and Themes are quite an issue which can give you some delay. I'm always a little behind due to that and if there are large steps in between, it takes quite an amount of work..

I read periodically members here posting support on some very old versions, however being they
can posts; this means their are paid up to that point for support?
They can get support here on the forums as long as they are registered customers.

They can get support here on the forums as long as they are registered customers.
True, I do like the peace of mind the yearly support has its only a few dollars a month but helps if something goes wrong and they usually answer
quite fast which is a plus. But I get your point as well.

Now it makes sense to me when a new XF update comes out and its a security improvement people update.
I tend to wait a short time to make sure its a clean update.
But the point of this post is why do some not update and still run versions like 1.0.2 an alike.
Perhaps its Mysql versions ??
can posts; this means their are paid up to that point for support? I just wondered why some update and
some don't ?
Headace of updating all the Addons... I need to find the time when I can do a full backup, get the addons and new version ready and mass install and pray for the best...

Headace of updating all the Addons... I need to find the time when I can do a full backup, get the addons and new version ready and mass install and pray for the best...
This is how I did it from from 1.4.0 to 1.4.5 and backed up and one by one tested the addon and then also decided whether I used them all still.
I was buying RM, so for me was as good a time as any to do it.

A lot of it depends on how big the risk of upgrading is. If a site is large, or is not self-managed, or for some other reason can ill-afford downtime or errors, it can be a challenge to go through the testing required to ensure a seamless upgrade.

I wait for a version of two, although I did run on xF 1.3.2 from August until January (iirc) where I renewed my xF license - I never saw it nescesary however I had to for peace of mind with security. I tend to wait a version or two and then update, so I'm not constantly updating.

Top Bottom