Why did you...

GofD

...start your forum? I'm guessing most of us will say personal passion, but there are probably those who started them in profitable niches, because they were P.O.'d at other forums they participated in on the same subject, or oh, I don't know...on a dare?

I started ours because I wanted more information on a subject and couldn't find it on the net. I saw a vacant niche and took it, and pulled some peeps from another forum that was less than focused on my subject but which was nonetheless getting most of the traffic.

You?

It all started with me joining some of my first forums and quickly wanting to be more than just a regular member. Since then in 2005, I have been through many. And I mean many. My goal is to own a forum (or more) that can be considered "big-board" status. The two I have now are my best chance of doing so because they are based around my two main hobbies, trucks and running forums.

...start your forum? I'm guessing most of us will say personal passion,

because they were P.O.'d at other forums they participated in on the same subject

I started my newest one cause a rival was using TWENTY year old software that wasn't even written for forums. Their search feature was for bottom feeder amphibians. And they kept changing things rather than fixing what was broke. And THIS software is used by only EIGHTY people in the entire world. Plus their static information was sadly out of date.

Forums are just another forum if you will for communication and I support cognitive communication as it is too often taken for granted by our species and given the probabilities involved with the creation of life this is a true blessing. A game modding forum back in the day was hosted by a forum software, I saw and clicked on the footer link and was blown away that there was this whole other thing doing exactly what the place I was just at was doing and completely dedicated to building the thing....then I saw the mods. It could give reason to something I already loved doing (modding things) that can replicate itself and have propagating results. Take of that what you will.

I actually wanted to run a forum for people like myself whom are Borderline Personality Disorder Survivors, I am not doing so as yet because I am unsure of how to go about doing so and am nervous of starting it up, in the interim I am simply providing a release and support site for my styles designs.

My reasoning might be a bit selfish, or maybe just out of boredom. Basically I've been a member of a community for about 8 years, and for the past 3 years it's just been stagnating and none of the original team members weren't really doing anything about it, so I decided to take the reigns and do it myself. :p

Can't really give a solid reason why I've started my forum. I'm neither passionate nor motivated by it which is probably the reason why I haven't opened registrations for it yet. :p

Same here, thinking back it all started for me after I join my first ever forum board. It was an official gaming community that sold the game I played, from there I got interested in running a forum myself. But I had an interest in HTML before that.

Now you got me curious :D ... what is this software ? BBS ? :D

I want to have the honor of being number 81 :D
It's called Amos.
The only reason I know what it is is that some of the links in the software refer to it, others don't. I got curious and looked it up. It was never actually meant to be a forum software but whoever is in the IT section of this company has hacked it pretty well and made it run as a bulletin board type forum. It does okay, but the search is impossible. You actually have to go to google to search the forum.

Then about 3 weeks ago they "added" some features and, of course, broke half a dozen others. We started a "complaint" thread, they told us to send in messages to the help department but we all know what happens when we do that, we get a canned answer and nothing is ever resolved. I kept saying they needed to come into this decade and use a real forum software. Then it occurred to me to start my own. I've mentioned it to some of my friends from there on Facebook, and slowly mine is growing. I've told the few people I have so far that what will be nice is to be able to update the information we need to update as so much is sorely out of date and they don't care.

I added a remotely hosted forum to my website in 1996 as it seemed like a cool thing to do. My website had just about every cheezy "widget" that I could find. Midi music, flashing text, silly javascript, chat room (remotely hosted), etc. Crap, I feel old now :(

I added a remotely hosted forum to my website in 1996 as it seemed like a cool thing to do. My website had just about every cheezy "widget" that I could find. Midi music, flashing text, silly javascript, chat room (remotely hosted), etc. Crap, I feel old now :(
You should :P lol. I remember Flash Introductions which were fun to laugh at(even though some sites still use them...)

Top Bottom