Why can't RM be used for blogs?

3rd AnGle

Just wanted to see some opinions on why RM can't be used for blogs.

Few assumptions on the RM:
  • options to disable download functions based on category
  • a tab manager,
  • enable/disable review..
  • Comment system
  • a forum selection option for each categories.
(btw these options are available in Bobster's showcase.. not sure bout the last though).

If we can assign a node to each category.. say use "Blog" node for Blogs and use Jake's node as tab.. Bingo. As far as the layout of RM resource page is concerned it is very "blog".

Just to clarify, i need a article/blog layout for each post and a comment system like the one in RM with author's response. I am not sure if there are more functions i might need in blogs... I am looking for the very basics. And I am gonna need the RM anyway for other purposes like downloads .. so was thinking what's wrong with using RM for blogs as well by setting up a category for blogs.

Please prove me why this is not the way.. to avoid mistakes :)

I would love to turn showcase into blogs. Couple problems though. There's no importer for existing blogs and showcase items require a prefix. As an index it would also need lots of work such as a comment's sidebar (if comments were turned on). There's no tags feature or RSS for Showcase either.

I would love to turn showcase into blogs. Couple problems though. There's no importer for existing blogs and showcase items require a prefix. As an index it would also need lots of work such as a comment's sidebar (if comments were turned on). There's no tags feature or RSS for Showcase either.
Have thought about using showcase too and am still thinking on that but one thing that i miss there is the RM's awesome author's response... and I didn't know about showcase items needing prefixes.. (gotta check properly again).

Will tags and comments sidebar be a real issue? An issue big enough to install another add-on... :) honestly speaking am gonna need RM for downloads and reviews...so don't wanna install more add-ons if it can handle most of the part for blogs :D

Just wanted to see some opinions on why RM can't be used for blogs.

Few assumptions on the RM:
  • options to disable download functions based on category
  • a tab manager,
  • enable/disable review..
  • Comment system
  • a forum selection option for each categories.
(btw these options are available in Bobster's showcase.. not sure bout the last though).

If we can assign a node to each category.. say use "Blog" node for Blogs and use Jake's node as tab.. Bingo. As far as the layout of RM resource page is concerned it is very "blog".

Just to clarify, i need a article/blog layout for each post and a comment system like the one in RM with author's response. I am not sure if there are more functions i might need in blogs... I am looking for the very basics. And I am gonna need the RM anyway for other purposes like downloads .. so was thinking what's wrong with using RM for blogs as well by setting up a category for blogs.

Please prove me why this is not the way.. to avoid mistakes :)

Any reason why you would want to adapt the RM for blogging?
What has the RM got that the blogs submitted by 3rd party developers hasn't?

Just curious, I would have thought it would be easy to adapt an existing blog product to your needs rather than adapting the RM. Not saying it's a bad idea I'm just curious to the reasons why the RM.

@shelly

Reasons:
  • honestly speaking am gonna need RM for downloads and reviews...so don't wanna install more add-ons if it can handle most of the part for blogs
I agree... the most simple way is to install another add-on but am just exploring the idea of killing two birds with one stone :D

@shelly

Reasons:
I agree... the most simple way is to install another add-on but am just exploring the idea of killing two birds with one stone :D

Ah I see. I think i have to agree to an extent as I loathe installing more add-ons when i don't need to if x-feature/function can be included in current installed add-on. It's an interesting concept if your wanting to use the add-on (RM) for 3 different purposes if i read correctly. I thought you just wanted to use the RM and adapt it to be used for blogging but it sounds like the bigger plan is to adapt it as a multi-purpose add-on.

Interesting, I can't say I have thought of this idea but the first thing that comes in mind is to try to not confuse the member, if it's going to be multi-purpose. Pending I understood where your going with this idea.

Interesting, I can't say I have thought of this idea but the first thing that comes in mind is to try to not confuse the member if it's going to be multi-purpose.
This is a very valid concern.. and i thought the same. Hence, i was hoping if there is an option to assign a specific node to each categories in RM.. then it could be handled by using nodes-as-tab add-on (which i have installed already).

I suppose the RM at its current form doesn't assign any specific nodes to each categories in RM. I suppose they all go under "Add-on Releases" node. That's the biggest challenge.

To circumvent this issue:
  1. If a XenPorta block is made to fetch Resource items based on categories.. GOOD enough
  2. If Jake enhanced his node-as-tab add-on to allow categories from RM as Tab... Awesome.. (i understand categories are not nodes.. but Jake prolly knows how to do it, Jake :sneaky:)

I assume you guys are not blogging by yourself, but your members are blogging ?

Are you really looking for a "Blog" or for a "user-dedicated page" (a specific page for each specific user) ?

Is there an outlined features of RM? I'm hoping that "custom fields" feature is available.
Nope... aprt from what we see now...everything else is just guesswork :)

I assume you guys are not blogging by yourself, but your members are blogging ?
correct

Are you really looking for a "Blog" or for a "user-dedicated page" (a specific page dedicated to the user) ?
For a "blog"

Huh? None of ours have prefixes.

Think he means a Showcase Item belongs to a category, which IS how the architecture is designed. There is no "prefix" functionality in Showcase, so I am not sure why he chose that particular term.

Any reason why you would want to adapt the RM for blogging?
What has the RM got that the blogs submitted by 3rd party developers hasn't?

Just curious, I would have thought it would be easy to adapt an existing blog product to your needs rather than adapting the RM. Not saying it's a bad idea I'm just curious to the reasons why the RM.
None of the blogs have features images or ratings that I know of. The way showcase has its features images plus description is similar to wordpress blog preview modules. The only thing missing is a showcase index or xenporta/bd widget slider for showcase or blogs. I don't know why forum solution's blogs always leaves out featured images.

None of the blogs have features images or ratings that I know of. The way showcase has its features images plus description is similar to wordpress blog preview modules. The only thing missing is a showcase index or xenporta/bd widget slider for showcase or blogs. I don't know why forum solution's blogs always leaves out featured images.

It's been a while since I used a xf blog but to be fair blogs haven't really warranted a image feature, definitely a rating system of some kind is needed if there isn't one but i would imagine blogs would be aiming for a feature blog article before an actual image imo. Showcase is designed to make use of a image feature because it focuses on images where blogs focus on the written content so i think we could forgive blog devs for not including that.

It's been a while since I used a xf blog but to be fair blogs haven't really warranted a image feature, definitely a rating system of some kind is needed if there isn't one but i would imagine blogs would be aiming for a feature blog article before an actual image imo. Showcase is designed to make use of a image feature because it focuses on images where blogs focus on the written content so i think we could forgive blog devs for not including that.
Do you blog at all or often?

Top Bottom