Why can't RM be used for blogs?

Featured images is a must have feature for blogs. I think people are more enticed to read blogs or articles that has an accompanied image related to the blog. There's no forgiving when it comes to this because its just plain common sense. It makes no sense to me why its continually left out.

Featured images is a must have featured for blogs. I think people are more enticed to read blogs or articles that has an accompanied image related to the blog. There's no forgiving when it comes to this because its just plain common sense. It makes no sense to me why its continually left out.

BTW I'm not disputing with you that it shouldn't be included, If i believe in a feature that should be added I fight my case why it should be added, perhaps do the same in the blog add-on threads, the worst that can happen is that it's not added as a feature and obviously best scenario would be you annoyed the dev that much they added it. :P

Reactions: DRE
Never. I find it up there with stripping wallpaper, watching paint drying and counting the amount of blades of grass in the garden.
Do you also find writing articles as boring?

There's not that much difference between writing an original featured article for a news site and writing a blog that is a review about a movie you watched. Both are your opinion, both could be rated 1 to 5 stars if you chose it to be rated, both could feature a featured image or video to catch your attention from the main page in a module and/or slider.

BTW I'm not disputing with you that it shouldn't be included, If i believe in a feature that should be added I fight my case why it should be added, perhaps do the same in the blog add-on threads, the worst that can happen is that it's not added as a feature and obviously best scenario would be you annoyed the dev that much they added it. :P
I would but Better Blogs has been abandoned and getting my ideas or suggestions in XI Blogs will either never happen or happen 5 years from now.

Do you also find writing articles as boring?

There's not that much difference between writing an original featured article for a news site and writing a blog that is a review about a movie you watched. Both are your opinion, both could be rated 1 to 5 stars if you chose it to be rated, both could feature a featured image or video to catch your attention from the main page in a module and/or slider.

I'm not really a document writing type of person. Obviously I do it if i have to but thinking about it, I suppose I do find it boring when I need to write up documentation whether it's an external guide/documentation for an add-on or some type of resource.

On the subject of your feature wishlist. My point was I couldn't see why it should be included, I suspect neither can the add-on devs but since you explain more thoroughly perhaps strengthen that argument and bring your suggestions to them (there's two blogging products) surely one of them will entertain the idea/suggestion?

I would but Better Blogs has been abandoned and getting my ideas or suggestions in XI Blogs will either never happen or happen 5 years from now.
As far as I recall, you've only made one suggestion and got an explanation as to why it wasn't on the table at the time (and no, it isn't because I don't know how). You were unsatisfied with that answer, but that's your right. :) If you have made others, point them out in the thread but I only recall the vanity URLs as something you were pushing for.

Ah right sorry, i never knew better blogs was abandoned. Perhaps the other one from Onimua? He's always been good for adding suggestions?

While I'm here, it would be nice if The Resource Manager also included featured images. Sometimes it feels like the developers are so obsessed with speed and optimization that they would never even consider featured images for both the resource manager, their upcoming CMS or Blogs. Frigging sucks. That's part of why people use wordpress integration.

As far as I recall, you've only made one suggestion and got an explanation as to why it wasn't on the table at the time (and no, it isn't because I don't know how). You were unsatisfied with that answer, but that's your right. :) If you have made others, point them out in the thread but I only recall the vanity URLs as something you were pushing for.
I'd have to dig up old posts from archived threads and repost them. I think some were in LN Blogs discussion and others in Bookmarks. I know, unrelated addon but I made my blogs suggestions there too. I'm just random like that.

I'd have to dig up old posts from archived threads and repost them. I think some were in LN Blogs discussion and others in Bookmarks. I know, unrelated addon but I made my blogs suggestions there too. I'm just random like that.
You can't expect a developer to feasibly see your suggestion in an unrelated thread and keep track of it for their add-on. Onimua is pretty good at actually considering suggestions, when they are made in the correct places.

Sorry to ramble in your thread like this 3rd Angle, it's just that I had been considering turning bobster's showcase addon into blogs at one point and showcase is like the resource manager in some ways. It's funny how addons like showcase, xenporta, xi blogs and better blogs together have everything you need for a superior blog addon but no one thinks to put those ideas together in one resource. This is the type of stuff that makes me want to learn php if I wasn't so busy.

Well, I can't keep track of feature suggestions made outside of the areas I normally read for such things. ;) And I looked, and I see no other feature suggestions you have made. If you have them, post them here.

Features can't be considered by any developer unless you actually make them aware of it for the appropriate add-on.

You can't expect a developer to feasibly see your suggestion in an unrelated thread and keep track of it for their add-on. Onimua is pretty good at actually considering suggestions, when they are made in the correct places.

Mama Mia where's my Galleria?

Well, I can't keep track of feature suggestions made outside of the areas I normally read for such things. ;) And I looked, and I see no other feature suggestions you have made. If you have them, post them here.

Features can't be considered by any developer unless you actually make them aware of it for the appropriate add-on.
I was talking about archived threads on Xenforo. I'll sign in sometime and repost my suggestions on your site.

Mama Mia where's my Galleria?
I've done a lot of heavy-lifting to make Jeremy's life easier in that department. :p He should be moving along now (after he finishes something else I need).
I was talking about archived threads on Xenforo. I'll sign in sometime and repost my suggestions on your site.
I see now, you are right. :) But some of those are now implemented (view counts, ratings), so some of the things you do want are in there now. (y)

Sorry to ramble in your thread like this 3rd Angle, it's just that I had been considering turning bobster's showcase addon into blogs at one point and showcase is like the resource manager in some ways. It's funny how addons like showcase, xenporta, xi blogs and better blogs together have everything you need for a superior blog addon but no one thinks to put those ideas together in one resource. This is the type of stuff that makes me want to learn php if I wasn't so busy.
no issues at all bro (in fact i love reading all opinions).. and am glad to see there are more like me who thought we are very close to getting blogs from RM or Showcase. I fully agree with your featured image in blogs part. People these days want to tell more story from their pictures than jotting down 500-1000 words. Just look at what iBenick has done here http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?trail-guides/ > is that so different from blogs or pinforo (yes they are but it is soo sooooo close.. )

<edit: oh..btw i'd prefer to get the RM shaped up as blogs than use my showcase.. coz i have reserved my showcase license for something special :D)

no issues at all bro (in fact i love reading all opinions).. and am glad to see there are more like me who thought we are very close to getting blogs from RM or Showcase. I fully agree with your featured image in blogs part. People these days want to tell more story from their pictures than jotting down 500-1000 words. Just look at what iBenick has done here http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?trail-guides/ > is that so different from blogs or pinforo (yes they are but it is soo sooooo close.. )

I'll be honest I couldn't see why blogging devs would add a image feature into blogs until he explained it more thoroughly. I just think this is a case of other developers not being aware of this might be what people want. Sometimes you just have to keep fighting your case, your argument to have it included and the practical reasons why it's going to be beneficial. I think this is the case here partially, and devs need to be aware that people want this said feature because if they aren't aware of this is what people want they won't add it.

I think this could actually be a fruitful thread. :)

I've done a lot of heavy-lifting to make Jeremy's life easier in that department. :p He should be moving along now (after he finishes something else I need).
I see now, you are right. :) But some of those are now implemented (view counts, ratings), so some of the things you do want are in there now. (y)
XI Core = Amazingly helpful. :) Seriously guys, we are setting ourselves up nicely.

Top Bottom