Who Uses Ubuntu Linux?

DRE

As a long-time Microsoft Windows user, here are my impressions of Linux so far.

Last night I got a virus in Windows 7 and Windows Defender came on and told me it would clean it if I paid. I thought wtf and instead of trying to get out of it (was too sleepy to bother) I just turned the computer off and booted up Ubuntu Linux Lucid Lynx 10.04. I never really use it. I installed it last year because I read it had cool video, music-editing and photoshop programs.

Anyway, I noticed that I had this set this OS up with some kind of add-on that makes everything look like Windows 7. I think it's called Wine. I've already forgot what Ubuntu is supposed to look like. I know the 'start menu' bar is supposed to be at the top. I really like how the windows do a wobbly effect. The rolled up windows was annoying at first but now I'm starting to appreciate it because it's like rolling up the blinds of a window.

My xenforo forum main page looks weird when logged in but xenforo's mainpage looks okay when logged in in Firefox 3.6 I tried using Konqueror but pages load to slow. I have no idea how to upgrade firefox from 3.6 something to the latest version. I downloaded the latest version but I don't know how to install it. I'm seriously going to need a manual for this OS. Not sure where I should even start. I'm downloading Google Chrome.

I use Mythbuntu (I have been trying to learn to be able to do all of my daily tasks on linux now myself) which is pretty much code sitting on top of ubuntu so that you can use a pc as a master server and db for slave servers and for viewing video on pcs and other devices.

I believe the only way to install firefox from ubuntu is from a terminal window ...

Check this page out and see if it helps you. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-firefox-5-on-ubuntu.html

There is a newer version of Ubuntu out; you might want to upgrade. :)

Wine does not make everything look like Windows 7; it is a program that allows you to run (certain) Windows apps in Linux.

Check this out. :)

I use Ubuntu Server for my dedicated server. I tried using it as a workstation solution with a GUI, but Apple's OSX with UNIX under the hood simply was more user-friendly and stable to me. But the same here, I've stepped away from Windows.

I never used Ubuntu regularly. Whenever there is a new release with significant changes, I just give it a try in virtual machine. I am a full time Fedora user. For my regular needs, I usually never feel anything lacking in Linux machines. Other operating system(s) (namely Windows 7) reside on my machine for testing cross platform applications. :)

I use Mythbuntu (I have been trying to learn to be able to do all of my daily tasks on linux now myself) which is pretty much code sitting on top of ubuntu so that you can use a pc as a master server and db for slave servers and for viewing video on pcs and other devices.

I believe the only way to install firefox from ubuntu is from a terminal window ...

Check this page out and see if it helps you. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-firefox-5-on-ubuntu.html
I'm just going to uninstall it and then reinstall firefox from scratch. Thanks tho.

There is a newer version of Ubuntu out; you might want to upgrade. :)

Wine does not make everything look like Windows 7; it is a program that allows you to run (certain) Windows apps in Linux.

Check this out. :)
Oh wow another one...

and that link is perfect! I needed that, thank you!

I use Ubuntu Server for my dedicated server. I tried using it as a workstation solution with a GUI, but Apple's OSX with UNIX under the hood simply was more user-friendly and stable to me. But the same here, I've stepped away from Windows.
I'm not a programmer so I'm lost when you start talking about dedicated servers etc. Do you mean dedicated server for your host?

I never used Ubuntu regularly. Whenever there is a new release with significant changes, I just give it a try in virtual machine. I am a full time Fedora user. For my regular needs, I usually never feel anything lacking in Linux machines. Other operating system(s) (namely Windows 7) reside on my machine for testing cross platform applications. :)
I read somewhere that Linux had trouble using certain wifi and bluetooth elements which is partially why I stopped using it. I installed Linux on my PlayStation 3 and ran into that problem when I was trying to use the PS3 remote.

Me:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ubuntu-operating-system.17194/#post-225413

I used Debian for a while. I liked it. It has good package management. I personally used the stable release.

Ubuntu is simply a relabel of Debian unstable. They fork every release of Debian unstable and call it Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu forums can be a good support resource. I used their forum when I was running Debian. But there is also a lot of bad information there; not everyone on their forum knows what they are talking about.

My biggest concern is drivers and compatibility.

If you will be playing games then you should have an nVidia graphics cards. nVidia has the best driver support in Linux. Their drivers are closed source which offends some Linux users, but the performance gains are worth it.

Anyway, I noticed that I had this set this OS up with some kind of add-on that makes everything look like Windows 7. I think it's called Wine. I've already forgot what Ubuntu is supposed to look like. I know the 'start menu' bar is supposed to be at the top. I really like how the windows do a wobbly effect. The rolled up windows was annoying at first but now I'm starting to appreciate it because it's like rolling up the blinds of a window.

That is your window manager. There are some that look like Windows. I personally used GNOME.

My xenforo forum main page looks weird...

Weird how? I remember when I first started running Debian the fonts on web pages looked different. I had to download a font package from apt (the built-in software repository). I remember searching for the name of a particular font to find the package. "Verdana" I think. And it was some kind of Windows font package.

...when logged in but xenforo's mainpage looks okay when logged in in Firefox 3.6 I tried using Konqueror but pages load to slow. I have no idea how to upgrade firefox from 3.6 something to the latest version. I downloaded the latest version but I don't know how to install it. I'm seriously going to need a manual for this OS. Not sure where I should even start. I'm downloading Google Chrome.

Ideally you should get all of your software from apt (the built-in software repository). You can run apt in the shell, but your window manager also likely has a shortcut for the repository somewhere in your menus. That would be a graphical interface which is better than the shell.

FYI, Firefox in Debian/Ubuntu is called Iceweasel:

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel

It's in apt.

You were talking about updating Firefox. If you install Iceweasel through apt then updates are handled through apt. You don't have to download and install updates for an individual application like you do on Mac and Windows. Just run apt and it updates everything. That's why it is best to install everything through apt. Debian/Ubuntu has great package management. Use it.

Apt is also a good way to find software solutions. Just enter a search query for the kind of application you want and it will pull up a list. Select from the results and install, all using apt. And all software in the repository is free. Apt in Debian/Ubuntu is basically like Apple's App Store except everything is free and it manages all updates for you.

...I think it's called Wine...

WINE allows you to run Windows programs in Debian/Ubuntu. It is effectively an emulator but technically not. I'm not sure what the correct label is. It recreates the Windows API in Linux and fulfills all library calls without needing to install Windows itself. I played WoW in WINE and it worked great.

Me:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ubuntu-operating-system.17194/#post-225413

That is your window manager. There are some that look like Windows. I personally used GNOME.

Weird how? I remember when I first started running Debian the fonts on web pages looked different. I had to download a font package from apt (the built-in software repository). I remember searching for the name of a particular font to find the package. "Verdana" I think. And it was some kind of Windows font package.

Ideally you should get all of your software from apt (the built-in software repository). You can run apt in the shell, but your window manager also likely has a shortcut for the repository somewhere in your menus. That would be a graphical interface which is better than the shell.
Oh okay cool it says I have GNOME. So would the apt be called Synaptic Packages Manager?

and

Only in Firefox does it show that graphical glitch.

FIREFOX.webp

FYI, Firefox in Debian/Ubuntu is called Iceweasel:

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel

It's in apt.

You were talking about updating Firefox. If you install Iceweasel through apt then updates are handled through apt. You don't have to download and install updates for an individual application like you do on Mac and Windows. Just run apt and it updates everything. That's why it is best to install everything through apt. Debian/Ubuntu has great package management. Use it.

Apt is also a good way to find software solutions. Just enter a search query for the kind of application you want and it will pull up a list. Select from the results and install, all using apt. And all software in the repository is free. Apt in Debian/Ubuntu is basically like Apple's App Store except everything is free and it manages all updates for you.
Hmmm. All this is so interesting and convenient that it makes me not even want to go back to Windows. Gonna check IceWeasel out now.

This is like learning how to ride a bike all over again. Or going from vbulletin to xenforo and having to learn stuff over.

At least some things are still the same.

Top Bottom