Ubuntu 22.04 LTS vs 20.04 LTS

Sim

Now that Ubuntu server 22.04 LTS is released - I'm wondering if there are any significant changes / gotchas in the default server build compared to 20.04 LTS ?

I can't find a succinct list of changes introduced in 22.04 server - all the published articles focus on the desktop version.

I'm mostly referring to significant changes like the move to netplan network configuration in previous releases (was it 18.04 => 20.04 which introduced Netplan? or was that 16.04 => 18.04? I can't remember exactly)

I'm working on updating my VPS build scripts now to work with 22.04 - but was hoping to get a heads up to identify anything significant I'm going to have to look carefully at.

So far we have not noticed anything major in terms of changes between 20 and 22. (other than the kernel).

There are some packages that are still getting ported over to the newest distro release, so bear in mind some programs may need manual compile if you are expecting to use apt

Some things that I've found so far:

If using Netplan with statically assigned IP addresses, be aware that the gateway4 and gateway6 directives are now deprecated. They can still be used, but the preference is now to use default routes via the routes directive.

ssh-rsa is no longer in the list of accepted key types for logging in via SSH key pairs, so if you're using an older SSH key and don't want to generate a new one, then you may need to add it to the PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes

Everything else I've found so far is minor or likely specific to my builds.

I've just built my first 22.04 LTS production server, will start moving some sites across to it shortly and report back any further issues I find.

Top Bottom