Who lives in England, Germany, Scotland, Switzerland?

Ha.. my other half works up as far as Burton on Trent - Open Reach Engineer. He's often down that way.. and Ashbourne, so you're only about 40 minutes from me :D I'm kinda in between Alfreton and Chesterfield.

Hello,
I'm just wondering who here lives in England, Germany, Scotland or Switzerland? I'm considering a move (if I can EVER get a darn visa) and just wondering a few things. Looking at the Manchester area. Not sure about Germany but do like Stuttgart. Scotland would be on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Real estate prices are very high in all these areas, as is rent. I was surprised.

Its either going to be Scotland, England, Germany or Switzerland. Switzerland is nearly impossible to get a visa unless you have a large profitable company to bring over.

I'm looking to be close to the city but have a place for a small garden.

I have a year and one month to decide, depending on a few personal factors.

You should come to live in Wales. It has some of the best scenery in the world IMO. Lovely place to live and bring up a family. Plus we have our own beautiful language :D

Cornwall is my dream place to live. :)
Port Isaac, where they filmed Doc Martin. :)

088.webp

Bit more for y'all...
http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/history/

I've lived in Sheffield all my life, and the only other place in the UK I'd ever consider moving to would be somewhere down near Penzance in Cornwall......but there aren't any IT jobs like I do here in Sheffield.

South east of London for me, Aldershot. Easy access to "Town", green belt area, New Forest not far, historical places all around and I live in a little cul-de-sac surrounded by the Basingstoke Canal in the front (can see the boats going past in the morning) and the Blackwater River on another side. The town itself is crap but the location is good. IMO. There is a redevelopment plan ongoing ever since the Army sold quite of a bit of land back to the local council.

Personally if I could live anywhere it would be Southern Ireland for the view or Southern Italy, well, Amalfi :)

I wouldn't live in England. I'm English and my poor society is being ravaged by American style economics. If anything the result is more savage here because we don't have American wealth and natural resources.
Anyway the situation is a feral society, which our Government has admitted is "broken" with dyjng or dead communities. In 5 years most of our high streets/ main streets are going to be derelict due to supermarket blight. We have starving children here and rampant homelessness.
Some are fighting back but I am a disabled person and I would NOT as a disabled person want to live in England. Vulnerability in a bullying epidemic society? No. Public services have been shredded and only about 20% of the planned cuts have been done. 80% more of the current social decline is truly a horrific thought.

Luckily I handfast a Welshman 20 years ago and lived in both countries. Have settled here now for 6 years and can recommend South Wales very very highly. Very friendly practical and efficient people who welcome incomers in true neighbourly style. Unlike sad England bureaucracy is not permitted to strangle human life. People here still know that we work to live, not live to work.
This is the heartland that birthed the NHS and the vision of the welfare state out of the mining communities. That spirit is still very much alive.
There's been a lot of regeneration funding for the mining areas from the EU - the Welsh Assembly is clever about grants. So we don't have such wastelands of boarded up streets as English towns. Not yet anyway.
There's a thriving arts scene and breathtaking landscape and seascape short drives away.If archaeology interests you this is a dream.
Cardiff Swansea and Newport have all the practical city resources. Plus public services have not been so wrecked as they are in my poor poor England. Which is going to get a LOT worse.

Add an amazing Celtic culture, ancient and modern, with mythis and legends behind every tree and stone ... I'm a scholar of y Mabinogi and goddess thealogy) All the fascination of a foreign and ancient culture but almost everyone speaks English.

Do contact me privately if you like. I love to look after visitors and share this wonderful place and House Morgain is a (non commercial) family retreat house - see my website.

ps. Cornwall is also Celtic and fascinating but gets frantically crowded with tourists =- the Cornish are impressively good at the tourist business which the Welsh by and large are not. Visit Cornwall in winter, early Spring or late autumn when the tourist season is not dominant. But I wouldn't live there.

Top Bottom