1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who lives in England, Germany, Scotland, Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gabby, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I'm just wondering who here lives in England, Germany, Scotland or Switzerland? I'm considering a move (if I can EVER get a darn visa) and just wondering a few things. Looking at the Manchester area. Not sure about Germany but do like Stuttgart. Scotland would be on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Real estate prices are very high in all these areas, as is rent. I was surprised.

Its either going to be Scotland, England, Germany or Switzerland. Switzerland is nearly impossible to get a visa unless you have a large profitable company to bring over.

I'm looking to be close to the city but have a place for a small garden.

I have a year and one month to decide, depending on a few personal factors.

2. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I'm in England.... and I have to ask.. manchester???? Why on earth, of all the places in England you could choose, have you picked Manchester? :D *waits for people in Manchester to yell at me*

ShadyX likes this.
  3. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Opportunities for my family. :)

4. captainslater

captainslater Well-Known Member

Why don't you consider Austria?
    Better schnitzel + alps + german speaking :D

5. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Captain. Austria would be wonderful. In fact, that was my first choice in the beg, but house is extremely expensive.

6. captainslater

Do you need a house? There are flats with garden too. Give me some details if you'd like and I can have a look for you.

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

In Manchester???? LOL

ShadyX likes this.
  8. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Yes a flat would be great. Close to shopping, medical, theater, movies.... At least two bedrooms. Must be in an excellent area. I've been looking for a long time in Austria. Also, the Austrian government has never responded to my visa inquiries. :confused:

I'm pretty ill now so would love to move sooner but my hope is that I'll set up and leave something in Europe for my family to use so it will be a long term lease. If I settle a long term lawsuit I have at the moment, I'll move A LOT sooner. Health, money and visa ar my major obstacles at the moment.

9. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying. LOL

10. Craigr

Craigr Active Member

I'm from Scotland, lived in Edinburgh for 2 years and it is awesome. (y)

11. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Derbyshire's nice - we have castles :D. Avoid London - too hectic. Cheshire is nice (I'm biased about that though). Chester is particularly lovely, but think it's getting expensive to live there now.

12. captainslater

Visa inquiries could be a pain in the ass, Austria is known for it - but may depents on your origin country.

I live in Lower Austria (http://www.austria.info/us/provinces-and-regions & http://www.lower-austria.info/portal/en/?tt=NOEEN_R51) in a city called Ybbs directly at the danube.
    Next airports and big cities like Vienna are about 100 km away (1 hour to drive per train/car).
    Shopping, hospitals, cinema etc. are in proximity. (Regular) Theater eg about half an hour.
    Pending on which region/size you'd prefer there are condos with about 700 € monthly costs and about 15.000 € prepayment.
    Rental apartments starts (with good sponsorships) with about € 450.

Gabby likes this.
  13. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

I live in Blackpool, the beach isn't very nice :(

Gabby likes this.
  14. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Captain.

Ah this looks so lovely. So the cost for a condo starts about $870.oo. or so?

15. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

My assitant is from Blackpool. We were just looking at some pics of that area just yesterday.

16. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

The place is filled with heroin addicts, 11 year old prostitutes and a load of other weirdo's. It's cool to visit but a very bad place to live.

17. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I didn't know you were in the UK :D I worked in Lytham St Annes for a while a few years ago, spent most evenings wandering around Blackpool bored out of my head!

ShadyX likes this.
  18. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

I would also consider the the south of France. No where near Paris. Last time I visited Paris, it looked like Walmart had taken over. So Sad.

19. captainslater

Yes about but as I said it depends which province you're prefering and if you're suitable for sponsorship from (local) government.

20. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Um not sure what you mean by sponsorship.