Which php caching for XenForo ?

Francesco V.

I'm jumping to another VPS provider and i don't know if i should stick with e-accelerator or swtich to APC or other caching thingy.
Which's the best for XenForo ?

Which is better.. vanilla ice cream or strawberry? :D

I personally use Xcache with nginx/php-fpm and have no complaints. I played with APC for a while but saw no real benefits so went back to Xcache. From what I understand e-accelerator is no longer actively supported?
Some have said if you run Apache2 then use Xcache, if you run nginx use APC - but like I said I didn't notice any real difference - but I didn't put them to any performance testing either.
I guess it also helps that my VPS is served from a system with RAID10 SSD's. :p

Somehow, I can't get APC works on my VPS. So I installed xCache and no problems so far. Really fast! And I'm using nginx + php-fpm on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Ok at the end i choosed APC only because it seems the most active (php dev endorsed, too) project.

One related question. If my PHP 5 handler is DSO and apache handler is suEXEC are op code accelerator effective ?

If you do, you can't put memcached in config.php anymore (or at least that's what I know, correct me if I'm wrong). APC works "kinda automatic" anyway, other webmasters do it.

Reactions: rdn
memcache and memcached (yes, there are two named almost the same) really only benefit you if you're using more than one server in your configuration. There is documentation on this.

APC installed, but don't add it to config.php. APC alone will help speed up all PHP on your system. xCache is what would be good to add to your config.php

If you're using cPanel, you will want to build xcache from source. The one bundled isn't complete (you need to configure it) and isn't as updated as the source. And isn't supported (even though they supply it). You need only visit their support forum to learn this.

php 5.5 (not yet final) will include Zend Optimizer+ XenForo is built off of the zend framework and I've tried the cache.... You're all going to LOVE php 5.5 once it is out.

Haven't had much luck with Xenforo and Xcache on my server, users keep getting logged out, I too experience the same problem, especially in the admin panel.

I'll login, click a new tab in the admin panel and I'm logged out

Running Apache with Nginx to serve static content, latest version of XF and Xcache.

Anyone else experiencing this? Tempted to try switching to, or installing APC or Eaccelerator.

Haven't had much luck with Xenforo and Xcache on my server, users keep getting logged out, I too experience the same problem, especially in the admin panel.

Running Apache with Nginx to serve static content, latest version of XF and Xcache.

Anyone else experiencing this? Tempted to try switching to, or installing APC or Eaccelerator.
Want to share your xcache.ini and config.php?

XCachesettings look like this:

Code:
extension="xcache.so"
xcache.admin.enable_auth="off"
xcache.admin.pass=""
xcache.admin.user="mOo"
xcache.cacher="On"
xcache.coredump_directory=""
xcache.count="4"
xcache.coveragedump_directory="/tmp/pcov/"
xcache.coverager="Off"
xcache.gc_interval="0"
xcache.mmap_path="/dev/zero"
xcache.optimizer="Off"
xcache.readonly_protection="Off"
xcache.size="256M"
xcache.slots="8K"
xcache.test="Off"
xcache.ttl="0"
xcache.var_count="2"
xcache.var_gc_interval="300"
xcache.var_maxttl="0"
xcache.var_size="128M"
xcache.var_slots="8K"
xcache.var_ttl="0"

I see...

I suggest you enable xcache auth and then upload xcache admincp ("htdocs" folder) into your site. Xcache admincp will show you some suggestion about settings and performance.

Dont forget to add admin.pass and admin.user :)

Are you using ssl/https?

No, no https/ssl

And yea, it's odd, it only affects Xenforo, I have a VB 4.2 forum running without issue on the same server, utilizing Xcache.

I currently have my vBulletin 4.2.0 forum that I am converting to the latest Xenforo, running memcache. Does Xenforo support memcache accelerator or would I be better changing to another type like Xcache or APC? I have a VPS server with 1GB of memory, CentOS 5.9 64-bit with Xen VPS running cPanel bleeding-edge, Apache 2.4.4, PHP 5.3.23, MySQL 5.5.30. Also, am I now able to upgrade to PHP 5.4 since I am dumping that lame duck that is vBulletin?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom