Which MPM do you use?

• Prefork

• Worker

• Event

• I don't use Apache

• I have no idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

JoeSchmoe

The following highly rated ServerFault post argues for using the Event MPM rather than PreFork or Worker:
http://serverfault.com/questions/383526/how-do-i-select-which-apache-mpm-to-use

People called the post "epic" and canonical in the comments. Does it apply to XF, though?

Which Apache MPM do you use? Have you tried Event? It looks like just a couple of clicks to upgrade to it if you have a cPanel/WHM VPS.

And should I try it? That would make my cPanel stack into Apache2.4/Event/FastCGI/PHP5.5. My old VPS has Apache2.2/PreFork/SuPHP/PHP5.3, and I'm pretty lucky to have two VPSs at the moment to play with, so I can experiment before migrating my site. The apps we run, over 5 cPanel accounts include XF, Mediawiki and WordPress.

Last edited:
That would make my cPanel stack into Event/FastCGI/PHP5.5. My old VPS has PreFork/SuPHP/PHP5.3,
Going from PreFork -> Worker/Event is an important thing to control cpu & memory usage, as it means you only have a smaller pool of php workers finishing requests in a decent time rather than a large pool consuming all your resources and finishing nothing.

PHP 5.3 -> PHP 5.5 will use a fair bit less memory, which helps scalability.

But all that is wall dressing. Just changing from SuPHP -> FastCGI is probably going to give you a crazy silly performance improvement that makes everything else look small.

It is the single biggest change you can make for performance.

<doing the happy dance>

But please do vote in the poll. I had thought that the vast majority of people used PreFork, and I'd love to find out the truth.

Top Bottom