XF 1.4 Where do I drag upgrade (upload) file?

pfernand

I'm trying to upgrade to version 1.4.5 but I'm getting the message that I already have the most recent version of 1.4.4. Where exactly do I drag the upgrade file? I dragged the UPLOAD file to the same directory containing the INSTALL, DATA, JS, LIBRARY, STYLES folders but I guess this isn't the right place. The instructions only say to 'Upload the contents of this directory to your server, over top of your existing XenForo files.' I thought I had done so. Can anybody tell me where to place the UPLOAD file please? Thank you. I am very new to XF.

Attachments

• upgrade to server.webp
    upgrade to server.webp
    27 KB · Views: 27
What I do is rename the upload folder the name of your forum directory (i.e. forum). Drag it to your site and your FTP program will ask if you want to overwrite your files. Click yes to all.

Ok, I copied the files again and now I'm getting an Xenforo 1.4.5 - Error to set permissions on my INTERNAL_DATA directory to world writable --> Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it. When I right-click the directory on my server, my permissions show that everything is checked off except Groups WRITE permissions and Public WRITE permissions. Do I just need to check these 2 boxes to make the directory WORD WRITABLE?

Thank you vbuser.

I set my INTERNAL_DATA directory to chmod 777. (Is that the same as chmod 0777).

However, I'm still getting the error. I noticed the error shows the path of the INTERNAL_DATA directory in a different location than mine. The error shows INTERNAL_DATA under my INSTALL directory but I have mine on same level.

The error shows --> The directory /home1/pfernand/public_html/mydomain.com/install/INTERNAL_DATA
My server --> /home1/pfernand/public_html/mydomain.com/INTERNAL_DATA

Attachments

• server.webp
    server.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 17
home1/pfernand/public_html/mydomain.com/INTERNAL_DATA
This is the correct one to chmod 777. Sounds like you uploaded your files in the wrong directory. You'll need to fix this later. admincp>tools>file health check will tell you if all your files are present.

EDIT: you may have installed your forum in the install directory. You don't want that.

Thank you for your patience vbuser. I can't wait until all this is second-nature to me but right now it's all a little nerve-wracking.

I ran the file health check tool and got this:
  1. install/index.phpFile does not contain expected contents.
What do I do to fix this? Very grateful for your help.

Thank you Brogan but what's the corresponding location? I see INDEX.PHP files in 3 locations:
  1. /public_html/theplugyourconnect.com
  2. /public_html/theplugyourconnect.com/install
  3. /public_html/theplugyourconnect.com/install/install
I copied the new index.php file to /public_html/theplugyourconnect.com and I got the The directory /home1/pfernand/public_html/theplugyourconnect.com/install/internal_data must be writable error again even though my chmod is 777.

First you need to fix your install folder since you uploaded your upgrade there. Make a backup first in case something goes wrong.
  1. delete the install folder /public_html/theplugyourconnect.com/install

2. upload a fresh copy of the install folder from 1.4.4 or whatever version you currently have. That will get rid of the upgrade you accidently uploaded there.

3. in your 1.4.5 upgrade, rename the upload folder "theplugyourconnect.com"

4. in Filezilla go up one level to the /public_html folder. On the local side right-click "theplugyourconnect.com" Choose upload and it will ask you if you want to replace the remote folder. Check the box that says "Apply to current queue only"
This may not be the best way but it's the only way I know how. If you use the sync feature on FileZilla you'll be less likely to make mistakes.

3. in your 1.4.5 upgrade, rename the upload folder "theplugyourconnect.com"

4. in Filezilla go up one level to the /public_html folder. On the local side right-click "theplugyourconnect.com" Choose upload and it will ask you if you want to replace the remote folder. Check the box that says "Apply to current queue only"
This may not be the best way but it's the only way I know how. If you use the sync feature on FileZilla you'll be less likely to make mistakes.
There is no need to rename the upload folder and then upload that folder. You can simply drag the contents of the upload folder (by selecting all files and folders within it) and upload these to "theplugyourconnect.com". Make sure when dragging that when you drop them in the remote folder you do so on top of files in "theplugyourconnect.com", not on a folder. Doing so on a folder will copy the uploaded contents into that folder. I suspect this is what the OP has done previously and why there's detritus in the install folder.

I'd also recommend that you do not use Filezilla. Many of the problems that folks have when uploading are due to using this - it sometimes doesn't copy all files across and it's caused other issues as well. I'd recommend, as would Brogan, that WinSCP is used as the FTP client.

Are you dragging the folder upload into the internal_data directory?
  1. Open the folder upload, you'll see a lot of files
  2. Go to /public_html
  3. Drag all of these contents INTO the theplugyourconnect.com directory. It should be highlighted before you drop them in. Click yes to override all files

Top Bottom