1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 When to Rebuild Caches

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by dethfire, Feb 25, 2015.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

I am unsure of when I should be or often be rebuilding different caches. Any advice?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You shouldn't need to in general day to day use.

3. dethfire

What are some examples of when I should or would be recommended?

4. nrep

nrep Well-Known Member

If I make changes manually in the DB then I'll sometimes need to do a rebuild to get the correct counts, that's about it though.

5. dethfire

Good call. I have made some edits in phpmyadmin recently

6. Brogan

Tylically only if there is a problem related to certain data showing incorrectly, or for certain tasks such as rebuilding the search index or manually triggering user group promotions.

7. Brogan

You should never be directly manipulating the database.

8. dethfire

well, some things XF just can't do from admin ;) and prune was the wrong word. I was setting thin threads to soft delete mode :)

9. NickCF

NickCF Member

Hi,

Our site is running a bit slow and someone with a reasonable amount of knowledge in this area advised me to rebuild some caches to speed it up (among other things). So I'm not sure which ones I should be rebuilding. Any advise here? Couldn't find much information on this.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Rebuilding caches will not really affect site speed.

11. NickCF

NickCF Member

Ok, so under what circumstances would I rebuild caches?

12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Generally, you don't need to. You won't need to in the normal running of the forum, unless there are specific values that appear incorrectly or where things are missing.

13. NickCF

NickCF Member

Ok thanks.