When a real nice big gallery add-on ?

Whoever develops a truely awesome gallery has to have both excellent coding skills and great artistic taste in design, and thus it makes harder to come through.

Below are just some examples from other sites(not necessarily the best):

http://dopdemo.net/previews/?item=thumbnail-gallery-wordpress-plugin

http://www.myconcretelab.com/en/concrete5-blocks/advanced-slider/
http://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/galleria_image_gallery/
http://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/slider-overlay/

Well, I was thinking something similar: hiring someone that has frontent development skills, to play with Photopost's css and make it look like my new forum skin for now. In the meantime I will introduce User Albums to the members, and keep photopost as a legacy gallery system until something comes up and I can convert it. But at this point I am moving forward with the conversion no matter what, plus I can't discard the gallery, it's a strong point of the community with 30,000 photos.
Honestly... I won't even touch Photopost due to how ugly the code is.

If you really need a gallery system, I'd wait until there's a decent one available before you convert otherwise you'll settle for a halfassed solution or a system that just isn't worth the time to get it to integrate (Photopost).

I understand your view, but from where I stand, there is no way I will leave my community into a further state of slowly decay just because of the gallery. I've stayed with vb3 for so long that I've lost my own interest in building new things for the site, the members are not getting new stuff, they are stuck in a script that is aged, etc.

I've made the decision to move no matter what happens with the gallery. Current gallery used to make 20% of the site's traffic years ago, as the site has progressed it went down to 10% and currently it's doing 7% of the site's traffic. So I'd rather move to a modern platform like XenForo even if it means I have to find an ugly solution for my gallery.

Another thing I was wondering is if I can just use the User Albums add-on, and convert photopost data into that? (I will convert vb albums into xf User Albums anyway)

No, he just took everyone's money.
This topic which has been written 60 days ago doesn't give me this feeling at all. All you need to do is to wait more to have a full product fully written with the XenForo coding syntax.
For those who want a photopost integration, it might be better to create a new thread but with knowing that it seems to have a few tensions (or a communication problem) between Photopost and XenForo.
Anyway, the original question of this thread has been answered.

How about something like the attached screen shots???

I've been working on this for a while. And then I had to put it to the side for a while because I recently re-located. Now that things have settled down a bit I am thinking I will be able to get back to it.

I have a full installer / conversion program from photopost.
Screenshot from 2013-03-17 05:51:38.webp

installer 2013-03-17 05:55:31.webp

Where have you been hiding :LOL:

Give it to the people, free or not, we want to check it out :ROFLMAO:

If you want i can do some testing for you, I've got my forum converted as a test conversion and photopost sitting in vb with 30,000 photos. Should be a good crash test ;)

New gallery software that I wrote. It's pretty close to be able to do a beta release. Just trying to think if I should release it for free, or do a paid version?
Any possibility to move away from Photopost to a full integrated gallery would be appreciated. :)

Yeah it was last time I checked. I assumed since it was being suggested somewhat recommend that it evolved since the last discussion. Personally I'd stay well clear of it (no offence to the author of the add-on)
No evolution since first release. :(

If you want i can do some testing for you, I've got my forum converted as a test conversion and photopost sitting in vb with 30,000 photos. Should be a good crash test ;)

I have one site to test against and having another large site to test against would be great.

I have a few small .html things I need to clean up before I can do a beta.

I think the best idea is to do free for the basic version. And then additional features would be paid options. I.e. contests would be a paid add-on.

What do ppl think of that ?

I have one site to test against and having another large site to test against would be great.

I think the best idea is to do free for the basic version. And then additional features would be paid options. I.e. contests would be a paid add-on.

If the basic version is fully functional (all essentials included) and if the paid version offers popular functionality & BFO then that would work.

I do hope that the UI will make use of a pretty jQuery viewer and that categories will be visually pleasing as well. There's loads of amazing jQuery scripts that can be used as gallery interfaces & viewers.

I think you should see to it in a way that keeps you happy and motivated to keep working on it. If it's a quality addon, people will pay for it. Free basic + paid advanced version sounds fine too. :)

We imported our vB3 gallery into the XFR User Albums add-on. It works well enough. I'd prefer that it felt a little more integrated -- that comments would show up under What's New, etc. But it does work, and it does let you migrate from vB3/4.

If the basic version is fully functional (all essentials included) and if the paid version offers popular functionality & BFO then that would work.

I do hope that the UI will make use of a pretty jQuery viewer and that categories will be visually pleasing as well. There's loads of amazing jQuery scripts that can be used as gallery interfaces & viewers.
The jquery scripts are hit and miss as to reliability and they are a pain to debug at times.

One of the key features I will include is the auto attachment option.
If you attach an image to a post in xenforo there will be a check box to add to your gallery. The image will only be stored once.

Top Bottom