What's Your Typeracer WPM Score?

I've averaging 50 wpm but I've got an awful Fujitsu server keyboard where you catch all the keys around the one you want and spend half your time going back to correct. I'll give it another go from my "best" PC at home later ... I reckon I can probably double that if I try!! (y)

With my good old 20 years old keyboard I can reach > 100 with ease.

Awesome hardware btw. no computer hardware of this quality is manufactured today - built in 1992, hand-signed by 2 different QA guys, these are built to last forever (or at least, for a very long time).

Years ago, I got 2 of them in a 2nd hand hardware store for a very low price - that dude probably didn't know what he was selling there and how expensive these keyboards originally were - and no, I didn't tell him :)

On my notebook, I struggle to get a score of 60, so yes, keyboard quality matters a lot.

My average is 136, I used to play with people in college when I worked in the labs, I would be typing away on a paper look at them and talk to them in a full conversation. While at the same time if I made mistakes in typing I'd backspace fix them without even looking at the screen :P Used to baffle people.

Usually just over 100wpm on my steelseries 7G (cherry mx black switches)

I type with mostly just the first 2 fingers on each hand though, except for modifier keys and symbols

With my good old 20 years old keyboard I can reach > 100 with ease.

Awesome hardware btw. no computer hardware of this quality is manufactured today - built in 1992, hand-signed by 2 different QA guys, these are built to last forever (or at least, for a very long time).

Years ago, I got 2 of them in a 2nd hand hardware store for a very low price - that dude probably didn't know what he was selling there and how expensive these keyboards originally were - and no, I didn't tell him :)

On my notebook, I struggle to get a score of 60, so yes, keyboard quality matters a lot.
Have you looked into the Das Keyboard? It's a mechanical keyboard built the same way as the old IBM Model M.

You can still buy new Model M from Unicomp, too, although the Das Keyboard has the advantage of being optimized for either Windows or Mac and can have blank keys.

I myself should really get a nice mechanical keyboard, it really does make all the difference in the world.

Just got 119 wpm on my keyboard. Now if only there were a proper, usable, truly silent keyboard out there instead of the quiet-but-not-quite-silent ones. I'd kill for one. And a silent mouse, too. Call me insane.

This is what I use... a man's keyboard...

mk_nek4000_large.jpg

Just got 119 wpm on my keyboard. Now if only there were a proper, usable, truly silent keyboard out there instead of the quiet-but-not-quite-silent ones. I'd kill for one. And a silent mouse, too. Call me insane.
You can get a standalone ThinkPad USB keyboard. I've always found them pretty quiet myself.

My highest so far is 97, used to get above 110, but I don't practice my typing skills much anymore, I taught my self how to type though when I was 5 :p.

Have you looked into the Das Keyboard? It's a mechanical keyboard built the same way as the old IBM Model M.
I know both daskeyboard and the Unicomp products. Both are excellent but neither of them gives you this extremely solid feeling of an original IBM Model M. I doubt such a keyboard will last for 20 years, but we don't really know :)

It's also interesting to see they cost less than the IBM keyboards did 20 years ago.

There are also Cherry keyboards (they still build the "clicky" ones) and if you can deal with a somewhat unorthodox layout, the Sun type 6 / type 7 are also excellent (though I think, most PC/Windows - only users will hate them, but I'm biased, because I've been working with Sun hardware for a long time :) ).

Top Bottom