What's your forum's loading time?

gogo

This is the result for a thread view page that contains 1 post.

Queries 46 Time 0.1884s Memory 11.01MB

Upon several reloads, the time will range fro 0.06s to 0.10s.

I wonder if this is normal for Xenforo forums with one active user.

Or there is something that I can make it faster?

1-CPU 1GB RAM VPS for development. The results is more or less the same after trying to restore the snapshot to a 8-CPU 32GB RAM VPS temporarily.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, I tried something.

I disabled all add-ons and reloaded the page. The result is as follows:

Queries 7 Time 0.0186s Memory 3.60MB

The difference is huge. Notice there are 39 queries fewer for the same page.

Guess I'll need to further trim down the number of add-ons used. I'll inspect them one by one and see how many loading added after they're used.

What's your time to interactive before and after? That's an important measurement.

What do you mean? I can feel the difference when the page of loading between 0.15-0.20s and 0.01-0.05s. It's so obvious, if that's what you refer to.

What do you mean? I can feel the difference when the page of loading between 0.15-0.20s and 0.01-0.05s. It's so obvious, if that's what you refer to.

It how long it takes before a page is ready to be interacted with. Google Lighthouse and GTMetrix will let you know these values among many others.

Best most objective real-world tool to use for this.

They're not selling anything, have no agenda and use only real browsers, real internet connections. Not any algorithms or metrics, no BS just real world web performance testing.

That's the main page (forum list) of the website. Every node got its svg icons, 30 of them. Maybe I'll use a sprite sheet for that later.

This is another test for a thread list in a forum, 3 threads only.

With add-ons:

1590122915036.webp

All add-ons disabled:

1590122936123.webp

Which add-ons do you have installed which are adding 40 queries to the page?

I can't even begin to imagine what functionality has been added to the thread view to account for that.

Which add-ons do you have installed which are adding 40 queries to the page?

I can't even begin to imagine what functionality has been added to the thread view to account for that.

What's the deal with FA that takes 54% of page load?
Can't xenForo include only those 5%-10% of icons that is being used in the default style instead of the whole package that includes 90% of unused icons and makes all pages twice heavier?

What's the deal with FA that takes 54% of page load?
I didn't install additional fonts in the server though. Maybe it's FA?
The fonts are custom font files and they get cached, so their size is only relevant to the first pageload, for typical browser caching. That is why you don't see them in your waterfall for subsequent tests in the same session.

FA isn't part of the font files. Study your waterfall.

The fonts are custom font files and they get cached, so their size is only relevant to the first pageload, for typical browser caching.

Yeah, explain it to those first time visitors, who was waiting for 2 secs, got tired to wait and gone.
And also to Google who placed my competitor's page above mine just because his page loads faster.

I would understand if the page would load twice longer for items that are used. I still would not like it but I could at least understand.
But to make pages to load twice longer for items that are not even used... I can't like it, I can't understand it.

Yeah, explain it to those first time visitors, who was waiting for 2 secs, got tired to wait and gone.
And also to Google who placed my competitor's page above mine just because his page loads faster.

I would understand if the page would load twice longer for items that are used. I still would not like it but I could at least understand.
But to make pages to load twice longer for items that are not even used... I can't like it, I can't understand it.
Which brings us back to a relevant question posted earlier.
Brogan's question.

Also - google doesn't ever seem to penalize sites that truly load slow due to 5mb of just plain bloat, so I'm skeptical it would single you out for pageload time.

Last edited:
Google who placed my competitor's page above mine just because his page loads faster.
I'd use WPT to analyze the competitor's site. I bet you find he has custom font files as well. Most all websites do, today. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Man... I asked Brogan about FA. I don't care what you would use and what you have to say about Google. )

Man... I asked Brogan about FA
You... didn't answer HIS question though. It was a good question. If you have addons adding 40 queries to the page THAT is the actual problem, not FA or custom font files. Queries are every pageload, typically never cached.

Top Bottom