whats up with the SpaceBattles forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajprime2000

SpaceBattles is currently migrating to xenforo, according to the notice on the site it was suposed to only take a few hours, it has alrady been a day. does anyone know whats going on and when we can expect the migration to be completes?

sure, but i'd like some idea of how long i'm going to have to wait, or at least reassurance that something hasn't gone horribly, horribly wrong.

The owners of the community are professionals. If something has gone *horribly* wrong they can always revert back to the previously working state.

On top of that it's only nearly 7 am in the UK, I am sure once they are awake again the process gets picked up again - perhaps some shell scripts are still running and take more time.

It's a matter of waiting, the community isn't lost. Surely.

Conversions aren't an exact science and they often take a little longer than you originally bargained for. Even testing the process to death beforehand doesn't insure you against something going wrong "on the day".

I expect that this site, in particular, is in good hands though and will be ready before too long. ;)

There was a bit of a hiccup yesterday when the server decided that it didn't want to cooperate at all during the post and thread import, but it's going again now and making good progress. No data has been or will be lost.

Fingers crossed, the forums should open again at some point today, depending on the speed of the import as it nears the newer posts, which tend to be much larger than the old ones it's importing at the moment.

https://twitter.com/SBDotComForums

The owners of the community are professionals. If something has gone *horribly* wrong they can always revert back to the previously working state.

On top of that it's only nearly 7 am in the UK, I am sure once they are awake again the process gets picked up again - perhaps some shell scripts are still running and take more time.

It's a matter of waiting, the community isn't lost. Surely.
Good Lord dude it's only been a day. You must really gotta have some space battles! Not sure what ya'll do on there but it can't be that serious!

There was a bit of a hiccup yesterday when the server decided that it didn't want to cooperate at all during the post and thread import, but it's going again now and making good progress. No data has been or will be lost.
Forgetting about the server issues, I'm curious what the import speed for that size forum is like? Are you using the CLI Importer?

Forgetting about the server issues, I'm curious what the import speed for that size forum is like? Are you using the CLI Importer?
I started off by using the CLI importer, but configuration issues caused it to go a bit titsup (it missed 70% of the posts before saying it was all done for some reason), so I'm using the web version in the interest of just getting it done with as few issues as possible. It's fairly slow going, especially as environmental network issues mean that I keep losing connection to the server, so I'm having to babysit it, hitting refresh every few minutes in order to get around lost connection issues. Very tedious.

... I'm actually beginning to consider dumping the vB database, downloading it and running the import with the CLI importer on a local machine, then uploading the finished XF database back to the server. A bit extreme, but test imports of the data have always gone flawlessly when running it on my local machines.

... that said, transferring a 7.5m post database over my pathetic 10mbit/0.5mbit connection is a bit galling.

Errr... so it would be days for my database in a best case scenario... Not even an option to be down that long unfortunately.

I guess back to my original plan of building my own importer that does it at the SQL level rather than spin everything through the data writers... {sigh}
The total time to import the threads and just shy of 4 million posts was 2hrs 11mins, so with your much better hardware I would suspect you could possibly do it within 10 hours? (16mill / 4 mill x 2hrs with room to spare).

... that said, transferring a 7.5m post database over my pathetic 10mbit/0.5mbit connection is a bit galling.

I had a similar issue once. The client I was working for didn't have a very good server and the database size was huge. Wanted to do the migration on my local system but downloading several GBs of database was obviously not an option. What I ended up doing was that I asked for help to a guy who owned a very powerful server. He gave me shell access on his server (a friend) and I dumped the DB from the client's server and did a wget from my friend's server (which was hosted by Softlayer btw ). Once I had the DB on this server I did the DB migration (this wasn't a XF import, another system) through shell. Then went back to the client's machine and did a wget and imported the converted DB.

It really wouldn't have been possible to do what I did had i not had access to the other server. So I may suggest, if possible, you can think along these lines.

The total time to import the threads and just shy of 4 million posts was 2hrs 11mins, so with your much better hardware I would suspect you could possibly do it within 10 hours? (16mill / 4 mill x 2hrs with room to spare).
I might have a go at extending the CLI Importer to work with a few other content types (users and private messages most notably) and then also see about delegating the threads doing the import across multiple servers (if I could have 10 servers each working on chunks, it might be able to be done in a realistic timeframe). But not sure which is going to be more work... building my own from scratch that works but is not user friendly... or get into other people's code (the CLI Importer) and see if I can figure out the intricacies of how it works and then build on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom