Third party What's up with gravatar

x4rl

I changed my avatar with gravatar about 2 months ago and its still showing the old one (On all xenforo sites am a member of) if its some cache its a bloody long one.

I actually see 2 different avatars at different sizes, and it seems to be different than what Gravatar is serving. However, whatever caching they use likely isn't something that we can modify.

I actually see 2 different avatars at different sizes, and it seems to be different than what Gravatar is serving. However, whatever caching they use likely isn't something that we can modify.
I mean caching xenforo side mike, It's fine on all the other sites i use which use gravatar that's why I asked mate.

Oh and yea them two avatars are none am using lol

edit = typo's :cautious:

We don't do any caching - the URL requests it from Gravatar directly. It may be an issue on their side...

We don't do any caching - the URL requests it from Gravatar directly. It may be an issue on their side...
hmm odd, well I did say above it was fine on all other sites I use "which use gravatar"

my gravater url
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/9b3573db657b48621bcfddfe4ec71809?s=100&d=&r=G

xenforo's gravater url
www.gravatar.com/avatar/9b3573db657b48621bcfddfe4ec71809.jpg? see shows same image via the link but does not display this on xenforo. (even tho this IS the link xenforo is requesting)

For the record, I am getting the same issue. My Gravatar works on all other sites I use Gravatar on except XenForo. When I go to change my avatar here on this forum via Username > Avatar, the 'Use Gravatar' option is selected and is displaying my new avatar. However when I click 'Test' and/or 'Okay' to save my settings, the old avatar is still in use.

I hope this helps in finding a fix for this minor issue.

I'm currently playing around with this, though it looks like it's caching on their end at the Varnish level.

Well, it basically definitely doesn't have anything to do with XenForo. We're using their API as they document. I'm just trying to see if there's a specific thing that we're doing that's causing this.

No problem Mike, it's not a major issue of course, but I guess it does run through people's minds whenever they change their Gravatar and it doesn't work on XenForo. I'm glad that you're trying your best to find a solution. ;)

Unfortunately, this definitely appears to be a Gravatar issue. We serve avatars directly from Gravatar, so we're at the mercy of their cache life time. Ok, that should be fine -- it's only 5 minutes. However, they're doing caching beyond that - at the Varnish level most likely, so it's not a client-side issue. If you set additional URL params, you can bust this caching on their end, but only for that URL.

This is something they'd have to resolve. Note that it's not specific to XF URLs. It may be related to the size options they provide and them not expiring the cache correctly. Unfortunately, they don't have any contact form on their site...

Well I've just tried using the links given in various help topics on their Common Questions page but it still doesn't clear the cache or allow for the newly uploaded image to show. I changed my Gravatar a couple of days ago so I guess I can give it a week to see if there is any progress. In regards to not having any sort of contact form or address on their site; they are run by Automattic, so I assume using their contact form would be most beneficial?

How long ago did everyone else update their Gravatars? Just so we can get a specific period of time on how long Gravatars haven't been updated...

If it helps Mike, my new Gravatar is in use on other sites except XenForo... WordPress displays it fine at least.

If it helps Mike, my new Gravatar is in use on other sites except XenForo... WordPress displays it fine at least.
I did say that some time ago mate to mike. has to be a XF issue all over sites are fine for me..

Just because it happens on XenForo does not mean that it's actually related to XenForo.
Well if it works on other sites which use it just fine one would think it was the site which its not working on, But I get your point Mike. Is there any more news on this?

Vodkaholic, both of those urls match the image that I currently see as your avatar here.

Attachments

• vodkaholic.webp
    vodkaholic.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom