What's up with Forum Ban?

Our mods wanted me to buy this for them:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/forum-ban.3472/

But when I tried to buy it takes me to another site that looks like Xenforo and asks me to login as if I were on Xenforo:

2015-03-30%20at%2011.41%20AM%202x.png

And says Download Not Available. Not getting why I get re-directed to nobito.me and asked for my Xenforo login credentials.

That is Nobita's forum. Register to download.
Strange user experience, no? You click the Buy Now for $20 button, the button changes to Download Not Available, and visually it's hard to discern that you are on a different site. Then you notice that for some reason you're not logged in, it looks exactly like the login on Xenforo's forum, so you go to enter your Xenforo credentials until you start to wonder if you're being phished.

Is it just me?

I think it may be just you :p, you couldn't tell you were redirected to a new site?

Many developers that sell from their own site run the default XenForo style, so this isn't isolated to just that developer.

No, I've never seen a site where you click a button that says "Buy Now for $20", it switches you to a new domain, and changes the button to say "Download Not Available" but keeps the same look with no messaging to explain what just happened. Then it's up to you to figure out that the logo in the upper left changed and you are not logged in.

I had just bought Usernotes for the Staff and the same Buy Now button took me to PayPal's shopping cart. I didn't expect two completely different behaviors for the same UI element.

This would be a dream for phishing if Xenforo login credentials were what you hoped to phish.

The 'buy now' button can be linked to any URL.
For my add-on it starts a conversation.

This would be a dream for phishing if Xenforo login credentials were what you hoped to phish.
Any member doing that wouldn't last very long here.

Thanks for the clarification, Brogan. We're trying to convert a big forum to Xenforo so the mods and I are learning the ins and outs on a test forum Slavik helped us create.

I have a lot of respect for what you and the Xenforo community has built, it's just that as a newcomer some things are foreign. It's hard for me to understand how a buy now button can still be called buy now if it starts a conversation or does all the other behaviors it can do by linking to any URL.

No payments are handled via XF, so paid add-ons provide a purchase URL. some go to PayPal, others go to developer sites.

Thanks for the clarification, Brogan. We're trying to convert a big forum to Xenforo so the mods and I are learning the ins and outs on a test forum Slavik helped us create.

I have a lot of respect for what you and the Xenforo community has built, it's just that as a newcomer some things are foreign. It's hard for me to understand how a buy now button can still be called buy now if it starts a conversation or does all the other behaviors it can do by linking to any URL.
I def understand the confusion, happened to me when I first joined
Haha

Top Bottom