XF 1.5 What's the means of Follow message moderation rules: Allow?

msibm

In the user group permission, if "Follow message moderation rules" is set to allow, is it mean to let the user to choose by oneself to follow rules or not?

It requires staff to approve posts before they're posted. If someone makes a post, it will be placed into the moderation queue.

Edit: Sorry, it's the other way around. Leaving the permission as Not Set (No) causes the post to go into the moderation queue. Setting it to Allow means users don't have to wait for their posts to be approved.

Last edited:
It requires staff to approve posts before they're posted. If someone makes a post, it will be placed into the moderation queue.
That is incorrect.

When "Follow message moderation rules" is set to Not Set (No) or on rare occasions to Never (though generally you shouldn't use this, then posts for members of that user group are moderated.

When "Follow message moderation rules" is set to Allow, then members of that user group will follow any moderation rules for a forum. Generally most forums are not moderated (so they are following no moderation rules) and therefore they can freely post. However if a forum/node has "Moderate new threads posted in this forum" set, then members will follow that moderation rule and therefore their posts will be moderated.

This was previously explained in this post by Mike and the preceding one:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/member-is-moderated-why-how-undo.46978/#post-505287

As you can see, it can be a bit confusing, even to members like @Amaury who have been around for a while. ;)

As you can see, it can be a bit confusing,
It's extremely confusing.

I have changed phrases to cope with this. I have to think of the permission as "This group is not moderated" and then if I set to "no" or "never" it means they are moderated because they are not not moderated or never not moderated or not never moderated nohow.

moderated.webp

It's extremely confusing.

I have changed phrases to cope with this. I have to think of the permission as "This group is not moderated" and then if I set to "no" or "never" it means they are moderated because they are not not moderated or never not moderated or not never moderated nohow.

View attachment 126217
Though that phrasing still isn't correct when a forum has "Moderate new threads posted in this forum" set because they will still be moderated.

I don't know what the answer is. I did post a suggestion 2.5 years ago about changing the phrase

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-follow-message-moderation-rules-phrase.55234/

and it was pointed out then about this scenario. I'm not sure what the answer is to make this simpler to understand.

Top Bottom