What's The Deal? xenforosucks.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t help feeling the guys should be asking GoDaddy to take it down, not because of the content, but because of the infringement of trademark in the domain name.

I disagree. I think it is good publicity. People are going to come and check this place out just to see "why it sucks".

I can’t help feeling the guys should be asking GoDaddy to take it down, not because of the content, but because of the infringement of copyright in the domain name.
I thought that at first but now I think about it more, if they take it down the douche will just registered something like xfsucks.com.

Of course then you'll see something on the lines of 'OMFG!!!!!! Those gestapo gits shut me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How f**king nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

You get my point.

I thought that at first but now I think about it more, if they take it down the douche will just registered something like xfsucks.com.

Of course then you'll see something on the lines of 'OMFG!!!!!! Those gestapo gits shut me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How f**king nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

You get my point.

Yeah but a rule is a rule and you don't need to wear brown shirts to point out someone broke one ...and like they said they have to protect their name...or does the fact that there is a person who think it sucks also establish that XenForo is owned , observed, and in use long enough to warrant being fully TM'd :-)

I'm sure that if it would effect xenforo's legal points then the team here would have done something about it. Until something like that happens...it's just a well articulated joke to me.

LOL, want to expand on that Mikey?
just that people are making more out of the site that needs to be made, it's a simple hater site, no conspiracy theorys are needed and I dont think that whoever runs it will have made it that obvious, I do not personally (this is just me) think mjp runs that site.

Well a conspiracy theory indicated that you are viewing it as a real issue...it's more speculation than anything in my mind...just people having fun with it just like him.

I dont think that whoever runs it will have made it that obvious, I do not personally (this is just me) think mjp runs that site.
Registrant:
michael phillips

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: XENFOROSUCKS.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
LOVE.THISISNOTATEST.COM
HATE.THISISNOTATEST.COM

Really guys - this isn't that big a deal. People are going to make up their own minds about this software and not everybody is going to like it. Just one of those things. That blog will help to drive some traffic to this community and some of those members might just like what they see. I think thats the reason xenForo wont do anything about it.

I doubt that xenforo is a protected, registered trademark so forcing it's closure would be hard.

Although I strongly feel the site should not exist I do feel its bizarrely funny as hell and have to check in now and then when I need strong cup of BS.

That site is absurd, and obviously operated by a jealous nut with too much time on his hands. I think xenforosucks.com might have been used as an example in a contentious thread that was deleted here some time ago. The subnormal who runs that awful site might have used the domain name in a misguided effort to make some sort of delusional point, I don't know. Who knows what motivates the criminally insane?

But feldon30 is correct when he says <whatever>sucks.com is fair use as far as copyright and trademark are concerned. That has been upheld repeatedly. Which is why you should always register the "sucks" domains when you start a new endeavor. That way knuckle-dragging morons like this guy can't stir up the rabble with their incendiary foolishness. Let this be a lesson to all of you punters and future entrepreneurs. A cautionary tale, if you will.

Personally I plan to stay far away from that site. It smacks of evil and darkness. There is no light there, no grace.

I think by suing him you actually give him more publicity while damaging your own reputation 'look at XF, they can't take a bit of criticism or fun'. Seriously if I was running XF I couldn't care less about it.
Well, if they're making money off the brand then I could see grounds for suing, even if it is in a humorous way. But since it's using "XF" and not "XenForo" I can see why there wouldn't be a problem.

Would I buy a mug though? Nah.

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/XenAndTheArtOfNothing.467967817
I'mma buy all of those and throw 'em at the ground :)
naw we just have to sell more "I
heart.gif
XenForo" mugs than he does his mugs. :D

That site is absurd, and obviously operated by a jealous nut with too much time on his hands. I think xenforosucks.com might have been used as an example in a contentious thread that was deleted here some time ago. The subnormal who runs that awful site might have used the domain name in a misguided effort to make some sort of delusional point, I don't know. Who knows what motivates the criminally insane?

But feldon30 is correct when he says <whatever>sucks.com is fair use as far as copyright and trademark are concerned. That has been upheld repeatedly. Which is why you should always register the "sucks" domains when you start a new endeavor. That way knuckle-dragging morons like this guy can't stir up the rabble with their incendiary foolishness. Let this be a lesson to all of you punters and future entrepreneurs. A cautionary tale, if you will.

Personally I plan to stay far away from that site. It smacks of evil and darkness. There is no light there, no grace.
Is that not your site ? i was under the impression that it was

I was thinking that bold part just a while ago, but then I remembered how even bad publicity is still publicity, and how it would make no sense trying to prevent that.

Also I'm not sure what to think of your post tbh. Am I right in spotting some sarcasm there, especially in that last sentence? And if so, does that imply some kind of connection of you with that site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom