• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What's new in XenForo 2.0

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
There is indeed reasonable talk about newsletters generally, though a lot of them are in the context of a couple of newsletter related add-ons. There's definitely a number of customers who want it, would use it and use it well. I don't, however, think that represents the majority. I suspect that most people would just use the "Email users" function in the Admin CP and that would be ok for their needs.

In terms of analysing the perceived demand for it, we'd go by the Suggestion thread that is open for it:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/newsletter-function.713/

This doesn't currently indicate that there's a big call for it. Though it certainly is a valid suggestion, and it will be considered in the future, but as it stands it doesn't currently paint a picture of it being a priority.

It appears half way down page 10 when viewing the forum based on first message likes:

https://xenforo.com/community/forum...page-10?order=first_post_likes&direction=desc

The Sandman

There is indeed reasonable talk about newsletters generally, though a lot of them are in the context of a couple of newsletter related add-ons. There's definitely a number of customers who want it, would use it and use it well. I don't, however, think that represents the majority. I suspect that most people would just use the "Email users" function in the Admin CP and that would be ok for their needs.
Why not split the difference and offer a simple Summary Email (manual, weekly, monthly, whatever) with a greeting, a listing of the top (5,10, whatever) threads and space for an additional admin comment. Then you can leave development of more sophisticated newsletter add-ons to the aftermarket. Win-win-win (XenForo adds a core feature many customers will use, customers will have a built-in rudimentary newsletter-like feature to drive traffic, and add-on developers are still free to create fancy, full feature newsletters.

I have everything set up for it now using an advanced HTML newsletter with features, plus then SES to send.
My point though is we're still lacking something more than just a box with - pop your email here, you can use text if you want or html. But.. to use HTML (you know, for rich newsletters) you have to look elsewhere. :sneaky:

Not saying that we're not getting bangs for bucks here, but I would have hoped that looking into this - especially as we use it to contact clientèle in a direct way, a bit further and just added that little something extra to make it easier for us to send some sort of newsletter as and when we can. Just a shame that it hasn't been taken into consideration..

In terms of analysing the perceived demand for it, we'd go by the Suggestion thread that is open for it:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/newsletter-function.713/

This doesn't currently indicate that there's a big call for it. Though it certainly is a valid suggestion, and it will be considered in the future, but as it stands it doesn't currently paint a picture of it being a priority.

It appears half way down page 10 when viewing the forum based on first message likes:

https://xenforo.com/community/forum...page-10?order=first_post_likes&direction=desc
No I agree, it's not a priority but if you look around, (as I know you would have and did) you will see that there's a set amount of us who have been requesting something about the NL for some time.. same as (dare I - events calendar of sorts :X3: (no not core I know) etc)
So it's more of a show of disappointment that nothing more than the same box we have now, hadn't been expanded upon for us to send good quality NL out to members really.
For now what I have, does the job. But for when we migrate - if there's no generator add-on out by then, will have to use a HTML generator markup site of sorts just to be able to send rich content emails, which I personally think is just a bit meh. But that's something that's seriously not do or die for this XF2 release... Just a shame that there's nothing been looked at really.

snoopy5

Speaking of "send email to users" in XF2. Is there now finally in the footer of those emails an "unsubscribe link" by default? This is legally required in many countries if you send emails from ACP.

snoopy5

Great to see this. Will this link unsubscribe only from manual emails send by admin with the ACP option "send emails to users" or will this also affect thread-subscriptions?

snoopy5

I am currently using Xenporta 2. I can only upgrade to XF2, if Xenporta 2 will be upgraded for XF2. It is not sure when this will be exactly. I love that addon but I have to make sure that I know what I am doing in case this new Xenporta will take too long.

Are there any other alternatives out there for XF2 to have a basic portal page like Xenporta 2 or is it already possible with XF2 to make something similar with XF2 out of the box?

snoopy5

Sendy.co officially supports this HTML Generator: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/sendy-newsletter-generator.5378/

xF2 update should be round the corner...
We need a newsletter option in the XF2 core so that we do not depend on external products. Sandy and all other services change their restrictions all the time. If you barely have income with your forum, but more than 12.000 users in your newsletter, you simply cannot afford to pay those services.

And I rather give xenforo more money to build a good scalable newsletter system instead of every month or for every sending xxx dollars to all those providers.

There is already a very professional free newsletter script called "phplist"- Click here for downloads. You do not need to reinvent the wheel. Simply make a bridge to XF2 so that it is working incl. bounced emails, unsubscribe etc. out of the XF2 ACP.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The importers will switch from beta to stable once we are satisfied they function correctly.

The more people that use the importers, the quicker that will be.

imno007

Did I imagine that XF2 would have drag-and-drop nodes? I could have sworn I had read that at some point in the past and have been expecting it ever since, but apparently I was wrong.... :unsure:

imno007

It does. Click the “Sort” button on the node list in the Admin CP.

Reminder to everyone; please post support queries in the correct forum rather than in here.
Ah! Just a different implementation than I was used to, but I'm not gonna complain about having to click an additional button. Thanks, Chris, that's awesome. And sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I was just playing with the demo and came to this thread to see if I saw anything about it and didn't (probably just overlooked it), so thought maybe that feature had been axed somewhere along the line, assuming I hadn't just imagined it....