Whats going on around here?

speedway

I have been noticing a trend lately where strange tings are happening in the addon world.

I keep seeing support threads for addons being closed (at the authors request), addons being taken off here and placed on inaccessible sites and a myriad of addons suddenly being deleted.

Is there suddenly a discourse in the ranks that the general population knows nothing about?

Just wondering as it all seems a little strange...

Can't say I have noticed that myself, but then I never did really follow the developer world too closely.

Which addons and obscure sites are you referring to?

Nothing like this I am aware of. There may have been a developer or two in the past (during the lawsuit procedure) who decided to remove their works, but other than that, I don't think there is anything like that.

Can't say I have noticed that myself, but then I never did really follow the developer world too closely.

Which addons and obscure sites are you referring to?
stewart1champ seems to have moved all his addons to xfshowcase which seems to be down now.
A number of Chris's discussion threads have been closed.
A number fo addons have been deleted from the resource manager for some reason

Just those things are making me start to wonder....

I see a lot of resources from both those guys here...

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/authors

Sometimes resources are deleted as they become obsolete, or no longer supported or whatever, this happens everywhere.

XFshowcase seems to have closed down I know, not sure what happened there, but that is why it's probably best if resource providers post their wares here rather than anywhere else.

I wouldn't be too concerned, right now I think XF's future is so bright, it has to wear shades ;)

Thanks Andrej,

Yes, just in case any one is wondering.

I have an add-on called Social Connect which had three flavours: Twitter & Facebook, Twitter only and Facebook only.

I made the decision yesterday (due to slow sales on the individual products) to merge them all. With that, I gave everyone who purchased the Twitter only or Facebook only version a free upgrade to the Twitter & Facebook version and requested the discussion threads for those versions to be closed.

So what happened there should certainly be a positive thing :)

Thanks Bruce :)

What about your other concerns?

One person removed a number of add-ons recently but that was because he decided not to continue running the site anymore. I think most if not all the add-ons are still available somewhere or will be added back here in the future.

I've not seen too many other add-ons being deleted.

Likewise Bruce I can't say I've noticed any issues other than XFShowcase vanishing, but third party sites and add-ons are always going to ebb and flow as people stop supporting them or change direction in life and go off and do something else. Since the lawsuit ended and development of the core product re-started the community in my opinion has really taken off and moved in a positive direction, if anything there seems to be more activity on the add-ons side now developers know the future is more stable. All very subjective of course!

I am probably stressing about nothing, I seem to spend way too much time around here while I recover from surgery hence me noticing little things as I make my way around. I just want to be sure that XF and its addons will be around for a while as I am basing my sites future on it after using VB for over 11 years.

Cheers

Add-on developers will come and go, that's only natural.

XenForo itself, however, after its extremely difficult last few years with the lawsuit which is now resolved, I can't see it doing anything other than going from strength to strength.

stewart1champ seems to have moved all his addons to xfshowcase which seems to be down now.
A number of Chris's discussion threads have been closed.
A number fo addons have been deleted from the resource manager for some reason

Just those things are making me start to wonder....

The add-ons that were posted at xFS were ragteks's. They are still available at github. I haven't had time to add the zip files back here just yet. That is why the resource is posted, but the link goes nowhere.

The xFS add-ons that were deleted are being dealt with as well, and are still available. Just not with the xFS name.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll visit github and see what I can find. Will be good to see the addons come "home" again :)

Killed by RM and upcoming XF v2.0, IMHO. Was on the cards from the beginning I feel, despite the hype.

It wasn't killed by the Resource Manager, 1.1.4, 1.2, or the yet to be discussed 2.0 you mentioned. It served its purpose. Move on like the rest of us.

Which was?

Yes, seems that exactly what happened :)

A few more xF licenses purchased, modifications purchased from developers hee, a few site started from it, more noticing modifications posted here, etc.

Either way, let's move on.

It wasn't killed by the Resource Manager, 1.1.4, 1.2, or the yet to be discussed 2.0 you mentioned. It served its purpose. Move on like the rest of us.

It's a shame you couldn't put a simple explanation along these lines on your site to say why it had closed, instead of leaving people worrying if you had problems, then spending time messaging you to ask (and not getting a response). It's all very well asking people to "move on" but just deleting the site with no explanation and not replying to messages about it doesn't actually enable people to do that!!!

Top Bottom