what's a good antivirus program?

If you have Windows 7, there is no reason to use anything except Microsoft Security Essentials. It has really changed the way we think virus protection programs work.

unsure out side of the UK, but all in the uk, if you do online banking its 99% guarenteed that your bank provides free internet security.. should double check..

Kapersky was once an excellent choice, but as others said it takes lots of resources.

I've used MSE, love how little resources it takes. On the other hand it lacks in a couple of areas.
I would suggest Avast. The free version is amazing, and if you can afford it Avast Internet Security is amazing.

we use Sophos at work after symantec let a virus onto our network through a rather big hole in their software. also use it on my home machines and have never had a problem

MS makes an antivirus program? the irony!
It's the perfect business. You create both the problem and the solution. And you get paid for both as well.

And BTW... don't pay for an AV. The free ones are just as good and sometimes better.

It's the perfect business. You create both the problem and the solution. And you get paid for both as well.

And BTW... don't pay for an AV. The free ones are just as good and sometimes better.
Yeah, Microsoft caused the problem with all the script kiddies and hackers developing viruses to steal information and the like :rolleyes:. They also do not charge for the MSE service, and actually started it due to the wide spread issue, and was part of their campaign to turn their public image around, which has seemed to work for them lately.

There are reasons to pay for an antivirus; often they include features that go above and beyond simple anti-virus systems. With NOD32, if you buy their suite, you get the firewall which is highly-rated for its stability, low resource footprint, and unintrusive popups.

Yeah, Microsoft caused the problem with all the script kiddies and hackers developing viruses to steal information and the like .
If your software is not secure enough, and if you build up a bad business reputation, then you open the door for this.

A lot of them write viruses, just because they have a problem with the way Microsoft has been doing business over the years. I know this, because I have spoken with them about it.

Obviously you are now going to say to me that that's not true and it's just because MS has a bigger market share than other OSes. And partially, you are right. But like I said; it's not the only reason. It might not even be the main one.

They also do not charge for the MSE service, and actually started it due to the wide spread issue, and was part of their campaign to turn their public image around, which has seemed to work for them lately.
Well if it helps to recover from the bad Vista sales, they will do just about anything...

There are reasons to pay for an antivirus; often they include features that go above and beyond simple anti-virus systems. With NOD32, if you buy their suite, you get the firewall which is highly-rated for its stability, low resource footprint, and unintrusive popups.
I know this, thank you. And most people do not really need these extra features (including a firewall).

BTW FYI I work with both PC and Mac professionally for more than ten years now. That includes support for companies and individuals. Not to brag or anything, just to support my opinion here :)

If your software is not secure enough, and if you build up a bad business reputation, then you open the door for this.

A lot of them write viruses, just because they have a problem with the way Microsoft has been doing business over the years. I know this, because I have spoken with them about it.

Obviously you are now going to say to me that that's not true and it's just because MS has a bigger market share than other OSes. And partially, you are right. But like I said; it's not the only reason. It might not even be the main one.

Well if it helps to recover from the bad Vista sales, they will do just about anything...

I know this, thank you. And most people do not really need these extra features (including a firewall).

BTW FYI I work with both PC and Mac professionally for more than ten years now. That includes support for companies and individuals. Not to brag or anything, just to support my opinion here

Linux and Mac aren't much more secure; they're just off radar due to their usage. We've had this argument in the past, but we can go allllll through it again.

No, having been involved with hacking years ago (Which lead to my current job, imagine that), I can tell you straight up that most people who write viruses or spyware don't give a damn about Microsofts practices; majority of the time its because they're after personal information, or they're wanting fame or they just wish to cause people hardship. If your reasoning was true, they'd do the same with Linux due to the bickering between distros and many of the companies backing the projects, and especially with Apple with their patent-squatting. Quite honestly this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard regarding -why- people create viruses.

Again, it is because they have the largest market share. And yes, it is the main one. Many viruses and spyware are created to retrieve personal information that is used in identity theft; why would they target operating systems that have maybe 10-20% of the market combined? Sure, they're a few other reasons, but many of them also apply to Mac and Linux.

Vista sales were actually pretty damn good, at least at first. After that they declined, but their sales have picked up with Windows 7. The majority of customers who have Windows 7 are perfectly fine with it, and many people who use Vista are fine with that (I use Vista on this PC, and have no issues, but then I can actually use a computer). Just a fyi though, Windows Defender or whatever was released -before- Vista. MSE also doesn't effect sales whatsoever; it isn't bundled with Microsoft, and you have to go to their site to download it. More often then not, the bundled AV is McAfee, Norton or Kaspersky, and that is bundled when you buy a pre-built system that is OEM.

Actually, most people do need a firewall; they're just not aware of why.

I'm a network administrator (I specialize in security :rolleyes:), and I've worked 'professionally' with Windows and Macs for 5 years. By professionally, I mean I'm certified to work with the majority of hardware and software of Windows (Operating Systems and their corporate and professional solutions), and certified for Mac (Which is a real pain in the ass, and not many people bother with it). Unprofessionally, I have about 12 years experience with what I do professionally now. All of which is pointless in this argument, I'm just saying it because you think it seems to mean something.

Unless you can post facts to backup your statements, don't spread misleading information, please? He was asking for advice on anti-viruses, not whether or not someone who is highly opinionated against Windows can tell him why its a bad company or what not.

Was a long time Kaspersky user but the product seems to have weighed down a bit over the years, still not as much as some. At the moment I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it has become my AV of choice.

Top Bottom