What will you use the Resource Manager for?

• Thread starter Thread starter account8226
  • Start date Start date
The FAQ covers that.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-faq.46527/

Is it possible to automatically add content from existing forum threads?
No, resources must be added manually.

Can existing threads be converted into resources?
No, resources must be added manually.

Can new resources be linked to existing threads?
Yes, by merging the new resource discussion thread with the existing thread. Or alternatively, use this add-on: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/resource-manager-thread-reassign.1560/

Hey Matt,

Did you already have the content/threads/posts that you now have in your RM installation, posted in a forum node? If yes, how did you port the info over to RM?
As per the above quite from Brogan, no, they were all re-created manually from existing threads.

Ok, thanks guys.

So if they are re-created, they lose the original poster (of the "forum" thread) as the thread creator?

E.g. Bob has created a fishing guide in the forum > guides node

After installation of RM, if I want Bob's fishing guide to be included, I would post it as a new resource, with my name as the creator?

Get Bob to add the resource or merge the new thread with the original one and reassign the resource.
So if I create a new resource I can merge the two threads and the resource now becomes the other (original) author's?

I am designing an articles manager - have someone who is looking at coding multiple pages and I have a design to do with css/ includes to change the page template. Importing articles from existing Library articles will be by hand but helped by Chris Deeming's addons to reassign date and thread. The RM can reassign author apparently (have not yet installed). I have startws a new thread for those interested in RM Articles. here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/rm-article-manager.47084/ I have a mockup design graphic there.

So if I create a new resource I can merge the two threads and the resource now becomes the other (original) author's?
Not just by merging, no.

You also need to reassign the resource.

Two separate steps.

Not just by merging, no.

You also need to reassign the resource.

Two separate steps.
Ah so it is possible in the stock config? Basically:
  • Create a new resource and add the content from the original thread.
  • Merge the new resource thread with the original thread.
  • Remove the duplicate content from the first post of the original thread.
  • Reassign the resource to the original author so that they have full control of it and it looks as if they'd originally posted it.
That pretty much sum it up?

I'm looking for ideas... :)

I may need a classified section for trades and maybe another for people buying/selling physical goods. Not sure how well this would work out for that type of use.

If anyone has used RM for a Review system, I'd like to see a demo.

I would love to see that one as well :) It could be great addon for my new site.
I wondered about using it as a review system as well. It seems to me apart from the phrases and some layout changes the main thing to do is replacing the avatars with a miniature of one of the product pictures (first uploaded attachment?). That doesn't seem too hard to achieve?

Top Bottom