What will you do if Internet Brands close XenForo with an injunction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If for some reason XenForo ceased to exist as a result of this. This goes live as a monument to Bob Brisco.

VBULLETINSUX.COM

If I cannot use the XenForo software or if IB ends up owning it rather than the guys that started this. I will likely go to IPB or go back to SMF.

LOL, some of you guys are imagining very outrageous outcomes here, IB has no case in the first place, you can not own a copyright on original innovative works created by someone else.

IB has to prove they own the copyright to the code that runs this script in a court of law, there is no way they can ever accomplish this.

I can claim Robert Plant stole the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven from me, but I still have to prove it to garner damages.

wouldnt suprise me, just you would think a company that owns a forum software would use that forum software on there sites and not a competing software ...

I think it's the other way round. Didn't IB run/buy-out a lot of website communities (automotive ones IIRC) and as a lot of them ran VB they decided to actually buy VB itself. That always worried me but they played that down and made lots of promises about the QA not being affected.

LOL, some of you guys are imagining very outrageous outcomes here, IB has no case in the first place, you don't own a copyright on original innovative works created by someone else.

IB has to prove they own the copyright to the code that runs this script in a court of law, there is no way they can ever accomplish this.

We don't know all the details. I imagine any case they think they have is around whatever non-compete clauses they had in Kier et al's contracts. The guys here seem fairly confident that they've stuck to the rules so it should all be good but you never know what a judge might decide :-(

That is the same as telling a brick layer he can't lay bricks on another mansion after he built your castle.

It is all hot air and courts don't work on hot air man.

Yeah thats why non-compete clauses generally have a year or so on them. Someone posted somewhere that the XF company was founded in June almost exactly a year after Kier et al left the VB team. I guess if they'd done any work on XF within that time then the non-compete might apply somehow.

As I said, all speculation and this is maybe not the right place for it.

dont go back to SMF, cant see it lasting long

I grew in three years to 18,000 members had never had a down month on SMF. The last month on SMF, actually it was part of a month, it was February 1-25th and grew more than 800 members and had more than 6000 active users. By April on vB4 I was in the 4000 range of active users, today I am in the mid 2,400's. My new member rate has dropped considerably and revenue even more so.

I went from never having a down month, not once to a steady decline to a new equilibrium and am stuck in the fairly tight range of active users. I talked to some of my old members that left. The segment that I lost where the 40 + aged group that spent as much time off line and where there was no cell phone signal except sat phones yet they got online when they where in civilization. The group I have is shifting to a more urban group. My old users want simplicity of use and to be able to get data easy and fast rather than socializing. That is what I at least gathered from those that would talk to me after the change.

I might be missing something but how would I go lose by going back to SMF, it worked fantastic for me back then. That is one of the reasons I am hopeful for XenForo, it is simple and not very cluttered.

If the members that have left are telling me the real reasons for leaving I think they will love XenForo. It feels like a very good piece of software for an older non-tech heavy crowd. SMF was nice for a non-tech crowd.

well as i not bought license yet ill just go to ipb *shudder* (slowly doing jobs on smf to get money for a license)

Dude you don't even want to know what I received in an email from IPB today .... upgrade insanity going down over there :eek:

While I don't think IB are going to be able to close down Xen, that horse has bolted, in the interests of speculation I would try the following.

See if MKA are ready to go another round, this time with xenforo.com.au an Aussie registered company operating under our intellectual property laws ;)

the question is rather:

what will you do when HF.com sells off vB to any other entity and then vB goes bancrupt ?

Like I said in a previous thread. I'll continue using XF even if it means moving my server to another country.
My ancestors immigrated to the US in the late 1800s to find a better life and damn it, I am not going back to 1890!

I think these threads should be closed.. I swear we have enough of them already.

People need to stop freaking out.

NO ONE knows what will happen. Good things or bad...

Everyone knew about what was happening when they bought a license or didn't buy one.

I think it's better to forget it and support XF.

When this issue comes up again, then we can discuss it.

For now ENJOY XF!

This thread, like the others, has run its course. I'm closing this and sincerely hope that no one opens another one.
Please.

We will let you know, when we know, what is going on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom