What to look for in hosting?

Aarmin

I'm in the process of trying to research hosting companies. Just welcoming anyones personal experiences or recommendations. Also, is there anything I should look for?

I will have three websites (two for now). I purchase my domains separately (namecheap w00t), but I can't quite remember how to point to my domains, so a no pain setup would be nice. That includes good support.
  • Affordability: I'm budgeting for approximately $70/year, not simply the cheapest.
  • Support: High degree support please, with my current hosting company I have had responses that had nothing to do with what I was asking about.. :confused: "Ticket" / "Chat" system is just fine with me. A public support forum would be considered a plus.
  • No pushy sells tactics.. I don't want to have to repeatably say "no" "no" "no"... I hear Go Daddy is like this.
  • A clean cPanel. I do not want any advertisements on my cPanel like I have with my current host.
  • If something goes wrong, will they eMail me with status updates.. :rolleyes:
No need to read stuff:
I've been having some issues with my current provider. They "lost" my data, and ever since my two websites have been put back up (using my backups on my computer) my websites load a little slow at times. This week they were even giving 408 errors. It's not just me, but users brought this to my attention.

I also tested it at this website: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

But what really bothers me is that when the websites first crashed, I was gone for a week, and not once... not once did my hosting company send me an status eMail. And now my sites are noticeably slower loading, as if they put me on a crowded drive?

Thanks AnthonyCea, I may think it over... errr, $150/ :confused:

On another note, why do hosting companies only offer "register a new domain" and "transfer an existing domain" at sign up? What if I just want to update the nameserver.

You don't need web hosts for domains, transfer all your domains to www.moniker.com and you can manage everything from their ACP.

I think I had 3 domains on Rochen for about $14.95 a month on their multi domain plan, at least you get competent tech service there when you need it, they are not the cheapest host around, but you can depend on them to help you out if you need help.

I think the plan I had was plan # 2 on this page:

http://www.rochenhost.com/business-hosting

Regarding the names being pointed somewhere...

I believe setting the name server at the domain registrar would be how to do it. Buy hosting somewhere, find out what name servers they have, for example "ns1.yadayadahosting.com", then go back to name cheap and set the name server for your url to that.

At least that is how I've always done it.

Well I'll put in a plug for mine again, because he has been so extremely helpful with the Xenforo transition: www.vortexhost.com. If you don't really know what the hell you're doing, this is the host for you. I don't know if they email you with status updates though, mainly because my site has never been down for more than a few hours, and even then only three times in five years.

I can vouch for www.vertexhost.com. I used to co-own that company and I know the current owner is very customer support oriented. You can use my name and ask for Billy. (PS: I do not get any commission from this - my sites are on a dedicated cluster I own).

Did you mean to type, vortexhost? Or is that a different host?

-----edit-----

Okay, that's a different host -- sorry, should have clicked it before asking.

Find someone that will archive your Site daily to another offsite location.
And you want to be able to access that archive yourself.

Yes, I understand how to point to the nameserver. I guess I should re-worded myself; it seems some hosting companies do not want you to update the nameserver.. see the picture below

At iPage for example, here are my options at sign-up. I guess I will just leave and find something else.
snap2o.gif

They want you to actually transfer your domains to that particular hosting company, which if you did, would encourage you to stay with them for hosting.

Not something I would want to do. Generally with most hosting providers, they allow you to skip that step somehow.

They want you to actually transfer your domains to that particular hosting company, which if you did, would encourage you to stay with them for hosting.

Not something I would want to do. Generally with most hosting providers, they allow you to skip that step somehow.

Not something I am comfortable with :cool:

http://www.asmallorange.com/

I've had no problems with these, must admit tho I hate recommending anyone as everyone has different experiences.

Good luck whoever you choose.

Their Customer Testimonials forum "good or bad".. on their bulletin board says a lot.

Although from a customer support perspective, consider a total noobie who is told to change their DNS ip address with their registry. They may not have a clue.

From time to time my host has changed the DNS ip addresses.
Not a big deal if done quickly.

Although from a customer support perspective, consider a total noobie who is told to change their DNS ip address with their registry. They may not have a clue.

From time to time my host has changed the DNS ip addresses.
Not a big deal if done quickly.
True!.... but I'd rather keep them 2 separate places... and that topic alone would be worthy of a separate thread.

True!.... but I'd rather keep them 2 separate places... and that topic alone would be worthy of a separate thread.
I do agree. If you where to change hosts, having your host control your registry might be a problem.
Nothing more on the subject. :)

On topic, some people feel email support is adequate. I don't.
If it's not urgent I'll use their website and generally get replies within 15 minutes.
There have been times that I couldn't wait for an email but I can dial the phone and get a person right away.
Even if I leave a message, I get a call back within a few minutes.

It gives me a lot more confidence when a person answers the phone.
Otherwise I get the impression that I'm waiting for some kid to get home from school.
Anyone can create a website and be a reseller.

I have 3 accounts on www.realwebhost.com

Most good hosts have support ticket systems, technical support forums, online chat and IM, so you really don't have to use the phone, most of the time you are going to be put on hold anyway if you insist on using phone calls.

Most good hosts have support ticket systems, technical support forums, online chat and IM, so you really don't have to use the phone, most of the time you are going to be put on hold anyway if you insist on using phone calls.
There have been times when I wasn't near a computer. A phone can be a life saver.

On topic, some people feel email support is adequate. I don't.
If it's not urgent I'll use their website and generally get replies within 15 minutes.
There have been times that I couldn't wait for an email but I can dial the phone and get a person right away.
Even if I leave a message, I get a call back within a few minutes.

It gives me a lot more confidence when a person answers the phone.
Otherwise I get the impression that I'm waiting for some kid to get home from school.
Anyone can create a website and be a reseller.
That's why I like WiredTree. I can call and get a human and explain what I mean better in person than in writing sometimes. They don't mind the phone calls altho they do ask for a submitted ticket as well. And I've only been put on hold when they were transferring me to the tech handling my ticket (I've gotten to where the ticket goes in first). I've also dealt with hosts without a phone system in place and depending on who it was, it's fine.

Top Bottom