What kind of sport(s) do you do?

yeah for some reason it seems like girls like riding more than boys - never understood that lol.

I like how you are so fine-tuned into the horse when you're doing dressage - you and the horse almost become one and that's pretty cool I think. I know it's like that with jumping and eventing too, but there's something a bit deeper maybe about the dressage connection. (I probably sound a bit loopy lol, but that's my experience anyway!)

LOL true, most girls are pony mad from a very young age :p

I totally get what you are saying about the connection, I was too impatient when I was younger to be good at dressage, I did the minimum to get through the dressage phase in eventing but never really loved it. As I have matured though I have come to see the true beauty of the connection you have to have in order to be any good at dressage at all, it takes a lot of understanding of your horse to be good. The last horse I had was many years ago now, but I loved just working with him in the dressage arena best of all.

LOL true, most girls are pony mad from a very young age :p

I totally get what you are saying about the connection, I was too impatient when I was younger to be good at dressage, I did the minimum to get through the dressage phase in eventing but never really loved it. As I have matured though I have come to see the true beauty of the connection you have to have in order to be any good at dressage at all, it takes a lot of understanding of your horse to be good. The last horse I had was many years ago now, but I loved just working with him in the dressage arena best of all.

haha, well I think for me when I was a kid, I felt more connected to horses than people anyway - horses were safer! So that just kind of came more naturally I think.

It's almost like when you do dressage, you bond with the horse more and more, and you get to know every movement of the horse and the subtlest cues. I think it helps you grow together and you get to know each other better and... I don't know - it's hard to explain. I've never been lucky enough to have my own horse though. One day... lol

I live on a farm (and no, I am not the farmer) and am in the lucky position where the farmer allows my Family access to some of his horses :) shires mainly, but they make very amiable companions.
As for sport, as long as it has two wheels and can go faster than 160KPH I will watch :D but too old to partake :(

I live on a farm (and no, I am not the farmer) and am in the lucky position where the farmer allows my Family access to some of his horses :) shires mainly, but they make very amiable companions.
As for sport, as long as it has two wheels and can go faster than 160KPH I will watch :D but too old to partake :(

Horses make very good companions for sure! Totally agree with you there! :)

Interesting Howard ... my brother is a 4th Dan in Tae Kwon Do ... what makes Hapkido different from it ? I looked it up in wikipedia ... its all Korean to me :D

Tae Kwon Do roughly translates as "the art of kicking and punching", so it's no surprise that many if not most of the techniques employed are various kinds of punches and especially kicks, which are usually high kicks delevered while mobile (i.e. as part of a series of movements). Tae Kwon Do has multiple purposes, including self defense, sport, aerobic and anaerobic exercise. However, many of the techniques are not especially well suited for self defense or "street fighting".

Hapkido means "the way of harmony" or "the way of coordinated power", and many of it's techniques are soft. Hard techniques seek to meet force with force, whereas soft techniques seek to redirect an opponant's power and use it against them. The fighting stance is relaxed with open hands and there are very few strikes with a closed fist. Hapkido uses joint manipulations, joint locks, pressure points, and such in order to subdue (or incapacitate) the opponant. The movements are relaxed and circular, and a lot of attention is paid to precise footwork and balance - both retaining one's own and disrupting your opponants. In many ways it's similar to Aikido, the Japanese martial art that Steven Seagal practices, although the circular movements are smaller in Hapkido and in Aikido there aren't any kicks, while in Hapkido there are lots of kicks. Unlike Taekwondo, Hapkido kicks are usually low to midlevel kicks. Hapkido employs techniques from other martial arts, making it "eclectic", and also includes grappling, weapons training, defense against various weapos, and training in weapons of opportunity (everyday stuff you can grab and use to defend yourself in a bad situation). Hapkido practitioners also learn stretching and conditioning techniques, dan jun breathing, meditation techniques, philosophy, and the understanding and use of ki, or life force.

" soft techniques seek to redirect an opponant's power and use it against them " This is brilliant :)

... sounds like its a more well rounded or wholelistic approach :)

Skiing and Snowboarding. :)

I played Volleyball in the past, I was in the starting Team of the local (Tyrolean) Team, but because of school and work I can't do this anymore. :/

Tae Kwon Do roughly translates as "the art of kicking and punching", so it's no surprise that many if not most of the techniques employed are various kinds of punches and especially kicks, which are usually high kicks delevered while mobile (i.e. as part of a series of movements). Tae Kwon Do has multiple purposes, including self defense, sport, aerobic and anaerobic exercise. However, many of the techniques are not especially well suited for self defense or "street fighting".

Hapkido means "the way of harmony" or "the way of coordinated power", and many of it's techniques are soft. Hard techniques seek to meet force with force, whereas soft techniques seek to redirect an opponant's power and use it against them. The fighting stance is relaxed with open hands and there are very few strikes with a closed fist. Hapkido uses joint manipulations, joint locks, pressure points, and such in order to subdue (or incapacitate) the opponant. The movements are relaxed and circular, and a lot of attention is paid to precise footwork and balance - both retaining one's own and disrupting your opponants. In many ways it's similar to Aikido, the Japanese martial art that Steven Seagal practices, although the circular movements are smaller in Hapkido and in Aikido there aren't any kicks, while in Hapkido there are lots of kicks. Unlike Taekwondo, Hapkido kicks are usually low to midlevel kicks. Hapkido employs techniques from other martial arts, making it "eclectic", and also includes grappling, weapons training, defense against various weapos, and training in weapons of opportunity (everyday stuff you can grab and use to defend yourself in a bad situation). Hapkido practitioners also learn stretching and conditioning techniques, dan jun breathing, meditation techniques, philosophy, and the understanding and use of ki, or life force.

Interesting info, thanks.
I do martial arts myself, Kung Fu to be specific, I've been doing martial arts since I was 13, I even went to China to practice. :D
Now I practice MMA as I think one martial arts might not be enough to face other martial arts.
I also like/do swimming, football (soccer), tennis (although I'm not that good at it), running and bodyweight exercises. I also like parkour but I didn't get the chance to practice on it.

It's interesting that there many female like riding (more than males). :D

Does "watching" count ..?? LOL
We are total Nascar fanatics!
#88 Dale Jr. Fans all the way, although, if he don't start winning some races,
I'm leaning more towards Jeff Gordon. I don't know what his deal is these past couple years.

Karate (2nd dan (ie 2nd degree black belt)) and Aikido (you might have guessed from my avatar). As Howard has already said, aikido uses an attacker's technique against them and deals with an attack by moving joints in directions they're not supposed to. Thats when you get "fly through the air or your wrist becomes mine" (and explains why my wrist is currently strapped). A lot of people say aikido looks very fake but trust me, its not!

Karate (2nd dan (ie 2nd degree black belt)) and Aikido (you might have guessed from my avatar). As Howard has already said, aikido uses an attacker's technique against them and deals with an attack by moving joints in directions they're not supposed to. Thats when you get "fly through the air or your wrist becomes mine" (and explains why my wrist is currently strapped). A lot of people say aikido looks very fake but trust me, its not!

I like what I see about Aikido, it somehow similar to Taiji in using the attacker strength and technique against him (in a different way of course), there is also Chin-Na which is all about controlling or locking joints, muscles or tendons.

I've never had a chance to try Taiji, mainly because this area is saturated with karate. I really should know more about the various arts as an ex-admin of a martial arts forum... :confused:

Top Bottom