What is your opinion of SOPA?

Nope... the moment my domain moved from GoDaddy to NameCheap, my email (which I pay $2.99 a year for) stopped working with GoDaddy. Can't access it through POP3 or Webmail and its not even listed in my GoDaddy account anymore.
you didn't precise that you are using godaddy's webmail (mail server). i understood from what you wrote that you are only using godaddy for the domain (glue records/name servers) and that you are using your own server for email. The idea was implied when i wrote you need to verify your mxrecords.

So basically they are saying that we can no longer buy WhoIS protection if we want to be able to be warned? That's what it sounds like to me.

All this is is more government taking away more freedoms. LET'S HAVE LESS GOVERNMENT! If crap like this keeps getting passed, there needs to be a civil war against the govt to take back our freedom.

How am I wrong? First off, you can't say what SOPA is or is not because:

1. It isn't yet law
2. It isn't out of the judicial committee yet
3. It hasn't gone through the amend procedures yet

So, what you have is a proposed bill, not in its final form that even its sponsors say isn't yet ready. Yet you have Chicken Littles leaving GoDaddy because - at this is the core thrust of the bill - they support copyright protection efforts against China.

Relax, have a beer and wait until there is something worth getting spun up about.

You honestly have no idea what can governments can do. For example we have a similar law in Turkey which allows courts to shut down any web site. If you go over to court and claim that my website hosts illegal material , my website gets shut down without any notice even if the mentioned document is 100% legal. You first have to fight your way through legal system just to proof that the document other person claimed is legal. Just make a search and find out how long Youtube has been locked down in Turkey and how may other web sites are currently been blocked in Turkey. Governments will always use laws according to their own advantage.

I am a software developer and i make money through selling software online. We've been facing pirating issues more then anyone can imagine but still i don't support SOPA.

So basically they are saying that we can no longer buy WhoIS protection if we want to be able to be warned? That's what it sounds like to me.

All this is is more government taking away more freedoms. LET'S HAVE LESS GOVERNMENT! If crap like this keeps getting passed, there needs to be a civil war against the govt to take back our freedom.
You never had WhoIs protection from the federal government.

Wasn't something similar to this tried not that long ago, when they tried to make ISP's disconnect any customers found to be downloading illegal copyrighted files from P2P sites at a moments notice. That never seemed to have worked very well since and most ISP's was against that idea as well taking it into the courtroom to fight against it. It just seems the governments are coming up with one bad idea after the next to try and get a strong-hold over the World-Wide-Web, they want to control it all.

They'll be dictating next how many hours a day you can use it. :rolleyes:

Web hosts have their own DNS, and if the host offers good service, I fail to see the need for third-party DNS. If you aren't getting the proper controls to fine-tune DNS to your needs at your host, go to another host. Paying extra for this sort of thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

One more thing: If you still want an ounce of protection, go to Namecheap. They offer a free DNS service, and you don't have to register your domains there or use any of their other products and services.

I have 32 domains. Some are just forwarding to the main TLDs, but even if I bought DNS for the most critical of the lot, the costs would add up. For one domain, it's still a waste if you can get the service free.

I've only ever used godaddy for domains, but I must admit, I am getting tired of all their bloody addons they require money for, like premium dns, a dozen different "domain protection" addons, their domain privacy stuff, plus, their dns/domain management pages are awful.

I only have 3 domains, but isn't 60 days old yet, so I can't transfer it, but will do along with the rest, once that 60 day period is up

I have 32 domains. Some are just forwarding to the main TLDs, but even if I bought DNS for the most critical of the lot, the costs would add up. For one domain, it's still a waste if you can get the service free.

I use it for three domains. The rest I use the free service from the host or domain registrar.

Top Bottom