What is your opinion of SOPA?

But of course you don't know what measures Namecheap uses to protect a customer against DDoS, or the severity of the attack, or how that might have impacted another service.

But of course you don't know what measures Namecheap uses to protect a customer against DDoS, or the severity of the attack, or how that might have impacted another service.
Nearly any service other than domains from a domain registrar are completely and utterly not worth what you pay, or the time spent on them.

If you're going to pay for a premium DNS service, get it from an actual place that specializes in premium DNS.

I am the victim of a trumped up reverse warrant....no conspiracy... an illegal search which netted the officer nothing led him to get a warrant 10 days later for "something" that he said he found in my car which he did to protect himself because my parting shot was what is your badge number...I am going to own you.

I almost went to jail because of a dirty cop who now has a piece of legislation he can use against me instead of what the document was supposedly written for...which would be to protect me...ironic huh? That is not group think...this is me seeing what happens when stupid people pass bills so they can have an "important piece of legislation" as works on their resume.

And not to sound crass but what would be the point of spying if we could prove they were spying.

Also no bill we pass here is going to stop piracy sites in china from pirating American goods so all the arguments about that might as well not be said.
The spying thing isn't worth bringing up either. You do realize that everything you post, every email you send and every phone call you make - land line or cell - end up, at least temporarily, in a massive supercomputer farm somewhere in the Langley, VA area? Its been happening for decades.

Sure...but they can't use that spying to shut down my server unless I am ACTUALLY doing something illegal. SOPA is basically the equivalent of saying, 'let's skip the formalities ...we'll shut you down and ask questions later, good luck getting the DOS to reimburse you for your losses when that happens.'
I can see witch hunts trending soon in the future.

You don’t need a tinfoil hat to see the dangers of such a bill in a country that supposedly values their freedom of expression. All you need do is look at the amount of fallacious lawsuits and DMCA requests that are sent each year. Just look at the websites and videos that are removed because a radio was playing in the background, or because it was a joke, or because it was critical of something. There is no fair use anymore, and SOPA would give blanket reason for the US Government to create a national firewall of anything they deem ‘illegal’.

And that’s just copyright, if they ever combine SOPA and the Patriot Act they’ll be able to block sites that are critical of western government, websites that promote firearm or drug ownership, or websites that support Hezbollah or other groups the USA disagrees with.

I already had the RIAA send my colleagues and I DMCA requests because we downloaded music (LEGALLY, we have fair use in my country) without their consent. We broke American law? And? So what? We are not American, I’m happy to break their laws all day and they can’t do a dang thing about it. SOPA would let them block my website because they can’t get their own way. The copyright industry in the USA needs to be put in their place IMHO, they have no authority to pursue matters outside of their country and that’s the way it would stay. SOPA is just a childish extension of the corporate agenda to globalize American copyright laws.

Governments are always controlled and financed by big corporations and they will always care them first..... Us government says you are all free but they still try to dictate how you want to live your life , or they never protect you from big corporations.
A good example of it is the recent subprime mortgage crisis in the U.S. Big banks got bailed out by the government using taxpayers' money because they were too big to fail, but troubled homeowners were left out in the cold or given carrots. In other words, bad corporate business practices were rewarded.

Btw, those folks who are moving domains away from GoDaddy, there's no point in choosing another american registrar. If SOPA becomes law, whether or not a registrar supports SOPA will become immaterial. If the court asks name.com or namecheap.com, which are both US companies, to seize a domain, they will have to regardless of their personal opinion of SOPA.

Hence if you are tremendously concerned, the smart thing would be to move your domains to a registrar outside of US.

P.S. I can't believe what I am writing here, there was a time when US was a beacon of freedom for the world and look what is happening now.

Btw, those folks who are moving domains away from GoDaddy, there's no point in choosing another american registrar. If SOPA becomes law, whether or not a registrar supports SOPA will become immaterial. If the court asks name.com or namecheap.com, which are both US companies, to seize a domain, they will have to regardless of their personal opinion of SOPA.

Hence if you are tremendously concerned, the smart thing would be to move your domains to a registrar outside of US.

P.S. I can't believe what I am writing here, there was a time when US was a beacon of freedom for the world and look what is happening now.
That's not the point. The point is to show these companies where the people's thoughts lie and for them to act on what the people want. These big companies can play a bigger role in congress than "the people" but if we are able to voice what we want to these companies, then their support will have to be for what the people want, thus helping us in the end.

And moving the domains out of the country won't matter. US will still block US traffic from getting to it....

That's not the point. The point is to show these companies where the people's thoughts lie and for them to act on what the people want. These big companies can play a bigger role in congress than "the people" but if we are able to voice what we want to these companies, then their support will have to be for what the people want, thus helping us in the end.

And moving the domains out of the country won't matter. US will still block US traffic from getting to it....

And the US owns ICANN.

Sorry didn't mean owns, was not thinking straight, but ICANN is a US corporation as it is based/headquartered in the US.
And, as such, is subject to all US laws. And that is as it should be. After all, the internet was developed by DARPA, an agency of the US DoD. To the inventor belongs the spoils.

And, as such, is subject to all US laws. And that is as it should be. After all, the internet was developed by DARPA, an agency of the US DoD. To the inventor belongs the spoils.

Internet can't and shouldn't be under control of a single government , especially US government. It should be controlled totally independently from any government on earth. Something similar to the facility at Cern

Top Bottom