What is your opinion of SOPA?

It's all about whether you should pay for something that you can get free. To each his own.

But, in light of what's going on, I'll probably be moving more of my domains from GoDaddy over the next few months. Not in a rush, but I did move three yesterday to DreamHost. It actually went very fast, because I clicked Accept to everything I had to accept, and none took more than two or three hours. But registrars can actually hold onto those domains for 5-7 days, I gather.

The simple truth is SOPA won't work...
I love these quotes from wiki:

Lack of transparency in enforcement
Brooklyn Law School professor Jason Mazzone warned, "Much of what will happen under SOPA will occur out of the public eye and without the possibility of holding anyone accountable. For when copyright law is made and enforced privately, it is hard for the public to know the shape that the law takes and harder still to complain about its operation."[49]

On November 22 Mike Masnick for Techdirt published a detailed criticism of the ideas underlying the bill, writing that "one could argue that the entire Internet enables or facilitates infringement", and saying that a list of sites compiled by the entertainment industry included the personal site of one of their own artists, 50 Cent, and a wide variety of highly successful legitimate internet companies.

Well most of artists are already putting up their albums online for downloads so are they going to close those sites too lol .

There is nothing inherently wrong with the bill. We can simplify it pretty well. If a site is a piracy site, either seize it, or make it effectively disappear from view.

The 5-day time frame, I believe, is too short.

The idea that any isolation/seizure orders need to be issued as a court order is also a good idea as it requires a legal process/review.

The requirement that the AG must contact the owner/operator and give them an opportunity to correct the problem first, nothing wrong with that either.

Someone asked if IB could use this proposed law to their advantage. No and yes.

First, the no...

IB couldn't call the US AG and report XF.Com and simply make it go away. If they reported them, the AG would contact Xenforo, at which point they would be informed that there is an ongoing legal case to decide the issue of potential infringement, but that XF is not selling pirated copies of VB.

Now, under the proposed law, IB is open to litigation from the AG for fraudulent reporting.

But lets assume this is the bizzaro world, where the opposite of what is supposed to happen, happens. IB wins the case (would never happen), XF refuses to comply since they are a UK company (stand-up guys, would never happen). Then the AG could make XF.Com disappear from the internet from the perspective of US users.

Of course, they really can't do any of that, because it doesn't matter what efforts you take, I can bypass any DNS related maskings through my local host table. I don't believe the US could take ownership of the actual IP address within US-based networks, because the IP address itself is the property of the owner under license of iCANN.

There are technical issues to be worked out. This is, after all, first draft legislation, not even out of committee yet, let alone amended on the House floor. At this point, its like looking at the cement foundation of a house being built and saying you don't like the color of the grey carpet.

The idea of protecting US intellectual property from Chinese piracy sites is still a damned good one. I think the final bill, after committee changes, House floor amendments and House/Senate reconciliation will be a much better bill.

Now, if I were to put on my tinfoil helmet and start scanning the skies for black UN helicopters, the thing that would bother me isn't what the bill does, but the mechanisms it builds in tot he US-based internet for being able to efficiently target and remove a website from existence. How temping would it be for Obama to use that to make Hannity.Com disappear?

But considering how many other ways the government could screw you over, but effectively restrains itself, this isn't even in the top 50 concerns for misuse.

"Everyone is leaving GoDaddy" huh people still use this? didn't they all move years ago away from that deathhole?

is this because the US had troubles to shut down WikiLeaks ?

interesting SOPA explanation:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
!

Sure I do, but I also know the US is not Turkey.

In your dreamworld maybe but in reality there is no difference at all and i am sure you'll disagree with me. However i lived in both countries pretty long and they are all similar. The only difference is , our government is honest with us but US government is not. Governments are always controlled and financed by big corporations and they will always care them first. Turkish government clearly say you are not free and you'll have to live the way we choose. Us government says you are all free but they still try to dictate how you want to live your life , or they never protect you from big corporations.

I respect everyone's copyrights however i don't trust governments and i don't want governments to destroy internet.

Now, if I were to put on my tinfoil helmet and start scanning the skies for black UN helicopters, the thing that would bother me isn't what the bill does, but the mechanisms it builds in tot he US-based internet for being able to efficiently target and remove a website from existence. How temping would it be for Obama to use that to make Hannity.Com disappear?

But considering how many other ways the government could screw you over, but effectively restrains itself, this isn't even in the top 50 concerns for misuse.
When are you going to get warned for constantly trying to insult the users who think differently than you? While most of your argument, though quite defensive, isn't exactly pointing a finger at people and insulting them, I know this to be at least the 2nd time you've used such terms to make people who think differently than you to feel like they are some conspiracy theorist.

And while you may not think this freedom is one to fight for, we must fight for ALL of our freedoms before we don't even have the freedom to fight for the ones we would like to fight for.

Here's a quote that really reminds me of what is going on in the US slowly (or more quickly now):
"In Germany they first came for the communists​
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.​
They came for the Jews​
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.​
Then they came for the trade Unionists​
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade Unionist.​
Then they came for the Catholics​
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.​
Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up."​
- -Pastor Martin Niemoller (Lutheran Pastor)​

Once they start taking away our freedoms, no matter what the cause and what you believe in, they gain that much more power to have control over you. Yes, I have my damn tinfoil hat on because I know that too much Government is the worst thing that could happen to us. While you may live in your perfect fantasy world, ignorant to what's really out there, I'll continue to voice my opinions, fighting for all of our freedoms no matter what they are because when it comes time for the Government to come after what I do, I hope that there will be others still out there like me that want to fight for our freedom and will voice it when I need it.​

OK, that's $60 wasted. :)
Not if your DNS gets attacked by DDoS skiddies. I have my DNS at DNSmadeEasy and it keeps me protected from skids.

It's all about whether you should pay for something that you can get free. To each his own.
You can say that about xenForo and the multiple free forum software companies out there. It's all about the quality of the service is why you buy something.

NameCheap - who I'm with and use their DNS Named Servers "seeing as I'm both hosted with them", plus my domain is with them also. Recently my shared "Server Box 3" got hit on Xmas day with a really big DDoS attack, it was down most of that day and took NameCheap a good while to protect all domains on the box. You'd think somebody like them, who are probably prone most with being attacked and using their DNS Named servers would be able to combat it. But they wasn't!

If you don't engage in illegal activities, you have nothing to fear.
Well first of all, you do not have 100% control over everything on your forum and you may not be able to check every post and certainly not every PM/PC. Secondly, that is a very dangerous statement you make there. It is a step towards giving up privacy and ultimately freedom. Frankly it scares me how easily people are willing to give up freedom and let government get away with these kind of things.

Reminds me of this quote "Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Frankly it scares me how easily people are willing to give up freedom and let government get away with these kind of things

I couldn't agree more on that, some are just not worldly and wisely enough

Its kind of like the people of apposed the Patriot Act, because they were afraid that the government would have an internal secret police that would spy on its own citizens. It never happened.

Its good to have a healthy skepticism towards government, but this is conspiracy group-think.

I am the victim of a trumped up reverse warrant....no conspiracy... an illegal search which netted the officer nothing led him to get a warrant 10 days later for "something" that he said he found in my car which he did to protect himself because my parting shot was what is your badge number...I am going to own you.

I almost went to jail because of a dirty cop who now has a piece of legislation he can use against me instead of what the document was supposedly written for...which would be to protect me...ironic huh? That is not group think...this is me seeing what happens when stupid people pass bills so they can have an "important piece of legislation" as works on their resume.

And not to sound crass but what would be the point of spying if we could prove they were spying.

Also no bill we pass here is going to stop piracy sites in china from pirating American goods so all the arguments about that might as well not be said.

Top Bottom