What is your opinion of SOPA?

I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you aren't doing anything illegal, this doesn't affect you. The only "statement" people are making is they feel there is no place for law enforcement on the net, which is completely ridiculous. Would people have the same reaction if they issued a similar statement about supporting anti-pedophile activities on the net?

I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you aren't doing anything illegal, this doesn't affect you. The only "statement" people are making is they feel there is no place for law enforcement on the net, which is completely ridiculous. Would people have the same reaction if they issued a similar statement about supporting anti-pedophile activities on the net?
Admittedly I haven't been following SOPA perhaps as much as I should be, but I thought the reason that sites like YouTube, Google and Facebook were opposing the bill is because it gives the Government the opportunity to censor the web, and because it can interfere with the content on these sites?

If I'm wrong, please correct me. This is just my understanding.

Admittedly I haven't been following SOPA perhaps as much as I should be, but I thought the reason that sites like YouTube, Google and Facebook were opposing the bill is because it gives the Government the opportunity to censor the web, and because it can interfere with the content on these sites?

I think you have a good point myself, the web has always been great because of it's freedom in not being overly controlled by any goverment bodies trying to get a good foot-hold over it. SOPA, is a step in that direction people don't need to see happening, plain and simple no matter how you look at it. And why so many are opposed to it.

That's the problem: Even if you aren't doing anything illegal, if you're accused of it you can be shut down.

Larger companies can say "You're doing something illegal!" and the site will be shut down just like that. It's so simple/fast that it's ridiculous. Facebook, Google, Twitter... pretty much any site that allows the user to post to it (which is practically all of them) could be shut down on a whim for a simple link to "illegal" content, even if they dont't host it themselves. The bill is so broad about it that there's no real limitation on when the shutdown/block can be applied.

What's worse is that some companies, including Go Daddy, managed to get themselves excluded from the bill so that they wouldn't be affected by it, thereby giving themselves a legally-supported advantage over other companies. There really isn't anything fair about this bill.

Sorry... but you're wrong.

The bill doesn't just stop illegal activity, it also stops libelous behavior in general... something that isn't illegal. In addition to that, it eliminates one of the very foundations of the internet: SAFE HARBOR.

With SOPA, as a forum owner, you are LEGALLY responsible for everything your users post. It pretty much means you have to run your forum in a 100% moderated state, or risk your website getting shut down because some user posts something libelous against a corporation or posts a link to illegal warez. Sure, you can delete the link, but the few days it was up... you're responsible for that.

SOPA has no due process. So whether you are actually committing illegal activity or not is irrelevant. A company can simply not like your website, and get you shut down. Back in 1999 when I ran the #1 Pokemon website on the net (which peaked at #6 on Alexa), I received many cease and desist orders from Nintendo. I wasn't doing anything illegal, but they simply blanketed the net with cease and desists to any website that had the words Nintendo or Pokemon on it. With SOPA, they could simply shut me down.

While yes, big websites and hosts can get protection from SOPA... but in what way does this help smaller and a new websites? The legal climate on the net will get so hard to handle that new websites simply won't spring up. It creates a monopoly for GoDaddy, since all other hosts are legally responsible for their client's contents, while they would not be.

Its kind of like the people of apposed the Patriot Act, because they were afraid that the government would have an internal secret police that would spy on its own citizens. It never happened.

Its good to have a healthy skepticism towards government, but this is conspiracy group-think.

Sorry... but you're wrong.

The bill doesn't just stop illegal activity, it also stops libelous behavior in general... something that isn't illegal. In addition to that, it eliminates one of the very foundations of the internet: SAFE HARBOR.

With SOPA, as a forum owner, you are LEGALLY responsible for everything your users post. It pretty much means you have to run your forum in a 100% moderated state, or risk your website getting shut down because some user posts something libelous against a corporation or posts a link to illegal warez. Sure, you can delete the link, but the few days it was up... you're responsible for that.

SOPA has no due process. So whether you are actually committing illegal activity or not is irrelevant. A company can simply not like your website, and get you shut down. Back in 1999 when I ran the #1 Pokemon website on the net (which peaked at #6 on Alexa), I received many cease and desist orders from Nintendo. I wasn't doing anything illegal, but they simply blanketed the net with cease and desists to any website that had the words Nintendo or Pokemon on it. With SOPA, they could simply shut me down.

While yes, big websites and hosts can get protection from SOPA... but in what way does this help smaller and a new websites? The legal climate on the net will get so hard to handle that new websites simply won't spring up. It creates a monopoly for GoDaddy, since all other hosts are legally responsible for their client's contents, while they would not be.
How am I wrong? First off, you can't say what SOPA is or is not because:

1. It isn't yet law
2. It isn't out of the judicial committee yet
3. It hasn't gone through the amend procedures yet

So, what you have is a proposed bill, not in its final form that even its sponsors say isn't yet ready. Yet you have Chicken Littles leaving GoDaddy because - at this is the core thrust of the bill - they support copyright protection efforts against China.

Relax, have a beer and wait until there is something worth getting spun up about.

So you are saying wait till the bill is passed then only jump the ship and show them people won't be supporting such acts .

Well i don't have anything to worry about but still i think it's better to oppose them before they actually pass it.

I still have one domain over at GoDaddy and I am going to be moving it to my NameCheap account within the coming days as soon as I have my new server exactly how I like it :).

Oppose what? What do you feel needs to be opposed? Do you support Chinese software piracy or wares sites?

Jumping ship from GoDaddy because it supports something that is a good concept is an irrational response. Its the digit equivalent of seeing black UN helicopters and wearing tinfoil helmets.

A rational response is to read the bill for yourself, and contact your US representative and Senator about what provisions you find concerning and suggest how they should be improved.

And just to be clear, I think if a user posts the link to a warez site in your forum, and you do nothing about it, you should accept a measure of responsibility.

Oppose what? What do you feel needs to be opposed? Do you support Chinese software piracy or wares sites?

Jumping ship from GoDaddy because it supports something that is a good concept is an irrational response. Its the digit equivalent of seeing black UN helicopters and wearing tinfoil helmets.

A rational response is to read the bill for yourself, and contact your US representative and Senator about what provisions you find concerning and suggest how they should be improved.

And just to be clear, I think if a user posts the link to a warez site in your forum, and you do nothing about it, you should accept a measure of responsibility.

Fred, consider a scenario. You host a forum and make a living out of it. It's relatively busy and while there are moderators, sometimes it may be a few hours or a day or two (maybe on the weekend) before something illegal gets removed. So, a member posted an embedded pirated video of the latest Tom Cruise starrer MI4 and the production house spotted it and invoked SOPA on it and complained to GoDaddy. Godaddy suspends your site without notice and now you have to run from pillar to post when you suddenly realize you can't access your site anymore.

This is a very real scenario that a lot of small and medium forum owners will run into if SOPA becomes law. You may ask people to relax, but if your living and your bread and butter are gonna be "potentially" snatched away because of some user posted content which slipped your moderation or was late to be removed, would you be saying the same thing? No one is talking about allowing illegal activities on their sites. We just don't want to wake up one day and see our site taken down because some kid posted something illegal while we were sleeping.

It's not just about online piracy, that's just a small section it covers they like to play on to get people supporting it. Your not looking at the bigger picture of it all really "Internet Censorship". Also, how do you work out that SOPA can close down pirate sites hosted in countries like Russia and China, do you think those hosting companies located there will take the slightest bit of notice with SOPA?

It's not just about online piracy, that's just small section it covers they like to play on to get people supporting it. Your not looking at the bigger picture of it all really "Internet Censorship". Also, how do you work out that SOPA can close down private sites hosted in countries like Russia and China, do you think those hosting companies located there will take the slightest bit of notice with SOPA?

Most of those illegal sites /servers are hosted out of US . It's nothing new they can't touch many big sites it's just few random small board they will be able to close and others who will be target of this bill .

Most of those illegal sites /servers are hosted out of US . It's nothing new they can't touch many big sites it's just few random small board they will be able to close and others who will be target of this bill .
It's like instead of going after the source of the illegalities (because they can't) they're deciding to go against the sites that recognize the illegal activities.

Top Bottom