What Is You Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

Pretty disappointed to be honest. Doesn't go with the whole XF experience. Issues:
- No compatibility with phones
- Popup delays
- No Spoiler BBCode
- No tables BBCode
- Looks boring
- No autoresizing with window
- Super complicated to add own buttons

I knew for some of these there are fixes and addons, but native support is what we need.

The editor has been one of the biggest complaints since my move to XF last year, for many reasons but formatting issues largely among them. Frankly, what my users dislike, I dislike.

Restricted by XenForo

- Popup delays
Caused by a XenForo plugin

- No Spoiler BBCode
Not implemented by XenForo devs.

- No tables BBCode
Not implemented by XenForo devs.

- Looks boring
I think it looks better than the default TinyMCE, to be fair.

- No autoresizing with window
So far the only actual TinyMCE problem.

- Super complicated to add own buttons
Process is pretty typical with other editors. The main problem is a restriction with the template hooks system.

Sorry to single out your post, MOZ, but basically, most of the problems that people list about the editor are unfortunately due to XenForo's implementation of it or are typical problems with all editors.
I knew for some of these there are fixes and addons, but native support is what we need.[/quote]

Actually I didn't feel bad, also I know you would know about this really well since you have been testing out the various editors for your addon.

What interest me more was workarounds. Anything for these:
- Popup delays

I wanted to add that not only XenForo suffers from TinyMCE: the dozen or more WordPress installations I've done this summer have little quirks in their editor as well, all stemming back to TinyMCE. There is a plugin I use (I think it's "Ultimate TinyMCE") that gives you the ability to select checkboxes to add new TinyMCE buttons to the toolbar, and it seems to run the gamut of all available TinyMCE features.

That might be one for the wishlist if TinyMCE remains in XF: either create a configuration screen where we can select which buttons to display, or wait for someone to develop a plugin that would address this--essentially giving us on/off control for the display of any button we see fit.

And the issue with styled-text pasting still rubs me the wrong way...plain text should always be the default.

And the issue with styled-text pasting still rubs me the wrong way...plain text should always be the default.
For a forum ... you are probably right. The benefits of styled text pasting is outweighed by the hassles.
Of course, I use Chrome's .... right click ... Paste as plain text and it works like a charm !

For a forum ... you are probably right. The benefits of styled text pasting is outweighed by the hassles.
Of course, I use Chrome's .... right click ... Paste as plain text and it works like a charm !

I use mainly keyboard shortcuts, which is why I'd like to see the default changed to paste plain text. Or at least give us a configuration option to change it. For what it is, though, I find I usually prefer using the TinyMCE editor as it has standard keyboard shortcuts that apply while I'm typing--I often use Ctrl-I for italics and every so often, Ctrl-B for bold. I don't have to do anything except type, and my hands never have to leave the keyboard. As fast as I type, those standard shortcuts are substantial time savers for me.

Actually I didn't feel bad, also I know you would know about this really well since you have been testing out the various editors for your addon.

What interest me more was workarounds. Anything for these:
- Popup delays
Yep, I hate Popup delay, I have to wait for several seconds to load "Insert Image", "Insert Code" popup even I am using locally. This must be fixed or changed.

Answers about TinyMCE on mobile browsers: Official TinyMCE forum thread
Now about "popup" delay, it's depending on your server. Why? Because it's not just a popup but a new external page who is loading (like an iframe) using a TinyMCE function (see here). So if server is fast to respond, it should be fast.

I'm not a fan of the default xenforo one. I hate it actually. If I could find an alternative I would almost immediately jump for it.

Top Bottom