What Is You Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

One day TinyMCE is going to piss me off enough that I'll try to implement CKEditor into XF.
There was a show-stopping bug in CK Editor when XenForo was being developed, which put it out of the frame and why TinyMCE was used.

That bug has since been fixed but it would be a major job to replace the editor now.

I dream Xenforo with a basic bb code editor...IMHO we don't need a WYSIWYG editor...
WYSIWYG is a good thing and is here to stay.
You can make much more readable documents in Word than in Textpad.
Users don't know HTML ... so you need some solution.

Xenforo already has a basic BBCode editor. Just click the button in the top right.
or better yet, use Minorin from the Resources.

people also have more power to create some spectacularly unreadable documents, particularly when there are both dark and light styles being used.

Xenforo already has a basic BBCode editor. Just click the button in the top right.
I don't think this is a perfect truth. I have seen WYSIWYG editors that have confused me, and I have worked with a wide variety of different editing tools (I even managed to write my thesis in Office 2007). I actually prefer the XF editor over many other editors, basically because it is clean and to the point. My rule of thumb is generally that if I have to hover over the button to see what it does, the editor has failed, with a few exceptions.

However, I might not be the perfect example, as I would probably prefer writing a document using post script over Word, and then I would have to relearn what little I knew of post script :D

There was a show-stopping bug in CK Editor when XenForo was being developed, which put it out of the frame and why TinyMCE was used.

That bug has since been fixed but it would be a major job to replace the editor now.
And then what? Choose between the slow buggy editor - and code formatting? Why you do not put the primary purpose - to provide users a convenient and high-quality editor? How many years we will have to wait? Even the very important "quote selected text" operation doesn't work here!

Whit the basic bb code editor you don't need to know html...do you remember the old editor for vb 2.x and ipb 1.x? they are perfect, why change? The new features are imho Unnecessary.

The user only need to post. A user doesn't need a full editor, he need simply the basic tags (b,i,u, quote, code etc.) that are present on the normal "bb code" editor. So why the advantage to use the WYSIWYG editor?

It wouldn't bother me if they didn't use a WYSIWYG editor, just a plain one to avoid all the annoying issues that come WYSIWYG. But that's just me. ONe advantage with a plain editor, apart from the HTML formating copy and paste issue, they seem to more cross browser compatible. The one in vB3 doesn't show WYSIWYG switching icon in some browsers now, but switching to plain editor in settings works the same in all from what I've seen.

This is maybe the biggest free and open source project I'm working on at the moment

ckeditor for XenForo.

It's a lot harder than I thought it would be ..... A LOT harder. I'm kind of really hoping XenForo will add this (on their own) and I can discontinue the plan (don't expect a quick release)

View attachment 29990
I'm actually working on 2 version in order to make 1 release. The 1st version as you state is the re-write, but the 2nd version (seen in screen shot) is the goal (which suppresses the editor in place of ckeditor). It goes without saying that the 1st version is actually going along a little quicker than version 2.

The 1st version is requiring a lot of re-writting code. But this is giving me an understanding of exactly where & how the editor words in XenForo. This is what is allowing me to develop a modification (add-on) to "bypass" the core and "hide" the core editor (think of it as a proxy inside XenForo).

I don't want to release version 1 as I don't think anyone would want to edit or replace their core files. The idea is not to do that.

Don't expect a release any time soon. It is turning up to be A LOT more work than I wanted it to be. Far too much actually, but I'm going keep on trying until I either get it right or until XenForo decides to surprise us all with it in another version (would actually prefer they release it)

edit: I've written and re-written this post... I'm poor explainer of code. Sorry... Hope you get the gist of it.

Just an FYI for this pro CKeditor crowd !

Apparently the removing of tabs and other white space is a "feature" not a bug according to the TinyMCE developers. /sigh

Do they offer a way to undo the "feature"? How stupid is that, really... I struggle every day to edit CODE bbcode.

Nope... and they have no plans to make it an option to change how it works. Quite annoying actually...

The "final" response from the developers after explaining why one would want to retain tabs...
Whitespace needs to be normalized in a rich text editor since it would otherwise not work properly. No one want's random HTML output indentation so it needs to be forced as I explained before.

I more or less gave up trying to force logic upon him and until we get TinyMCE replaced completely, I came up with at least a workaround for now...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tabs-in-wysiwyg-mode.22940/#post-371515

Thanks Shawn. At least they could replace the tabs with white spaces, no?
Edit: I see that is exactly what you did. This should be implemented into XenForo.

Yep... Although if you use 4 *actual* spaes, TinyMCE will collapse them down to one... thankfully it doesn't collapse   as a white space.

I turned it into an installable add-on that might be the smallest add-in out there (2 lines of code). When I get some time I'll wrap it up and get it out there for others.

You should not do this. That part is pure XenForo related and should be supported by default or have the related bbcode removed. :)

Yep... Although if you use 4 *actual* spaes, TinyMCE will collapse them down to one... thankfully it doesn't collapse   as a white space.

I turned it into an installable add-on that might be the smallest add-in out there (2 lines of code). When I get some time I'll wrap it up and get it out there for others.
You can also update your XenForo Digitalpoint Syntax Highlighter addon to include the change as well?

You should not do this. That part is pure XenForo related and should be supported by default or have the related bbcode removed. :)
Well I agree... my first priority is to make it work right for ME. If that means I have to fix it myself, then so be it... Releasing it isn't really at the top of my priority list in the grand scheme of things. :)

You can also update your XenForo Digitalpoint Syntax Highlighter addon to include the change as well?
Technically you could, but they are two totally different things really... so wouldn't make much sense.

Apparently the removing of tabs and other white space is a "feature" not a bug according to the TinyMCE developers. /sigh

Just like pasting text into a TinyMCE editor as rich text as opposed to plain text is a feature. I'd say maybe one in twenty posts, I want rich text posting. Otherwise, I'm having to clear someone else's crappy formatting or

I already had a run-around with them over this very issue. It's not winning them any points with that kind of closed-minded attitude. I mean, you had to design in the rich text pasting at some point--it just doesn't happen on its own in a textarea. There is absolutely no reason they can't give us a simple configuration option to turn off rich text pasting.

Then again with TinyMCE, you get what you pay for...

Top Bottom