What is the process to move a forum to a new host?

I am having a lot of problems moving my forum to a new host. Neither the old host or new has cpanel so I need to do it manually.

What I have tried is installing a clean install of xenforo, then restoring the database tables from a backup, this did not work.

What is the process to migrate? Should I be exporting the data from the old install then importing it?

I have searched documentation and this forum for migration instructions but can't find any.

Any addvice is appreciated.

You backup and restore the files and the database to the new server. If the database name or/and password on the new host is different that it was previously, you also need to edit the config.php file.

I am having real issues getting all the files from the old host, they have no zip option and filezilla is timing out.

Is there any process to import data into a clean install of xenforo?

If your host runs cPanel (an industry standard) ask them to generate a backup for you. This way you will download all the files and database in one swoop.

Bonus if the new host uses cPanel too they can restore directly from that backup. It makes things a lot easier.

If your host runs cPanel (an industry standard) ask them to generate a backup for you. This way you will download all the files and database in one swoop.

Bonus if the new host uses cPanel too they can restore directly from that backup. It makes things a lot easier.
He mentioned that neither are cPanel.

I am having real issues getting all the files from the old host, they have no zip option and filezilla is timing out.

Is there any process to import data into a clean install of xenforo?

Vía SSH as a root you can run in new host:
Code:
scp -r root@1.2.3.4(old host ip):/pathofyoufiles* /pathwherewanttocopyfile

You need to add complete path, this way you can move very big site en minuts.

Just curious how much are you paying for a webhost who is practically providing you nothing... because from the looks of it, you would be spending your precious time setting up and maintaining it... and worrying about future updates...

My new host is 20i.com they don't have cpanel but I actually prefer their own panel anyway. I got my old host to give me a zip of the site so i think I am nearly there.

Ok I have transferred the files and the db over to the new host, now when I look at the site I just get a blank page.

Any suggestions? Is there an option to turn on errors?

Ok I have transferred the files and the db over to the new host, now when I look at the site I just get a blank page.

Any suggestions? Is there an option to turn on errors?
Check if is .htaccess in root, some time download and upload miss the .htaccess

Yeah htaccess is there. I think i will give up and keep the site on its current host. Moving a forum is far more complex than it should be.

Good idea Jake. I fixed a file that was missing. I can see the site :)

Just one last issue when I try to login to admin it keeps saying:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
An error occurred while the page was being generated. Please try again later.

I enabled errors messages and it is :

The requested page could not be found. (Code: no_controller, controller: -, action: -)

Any ideas?

Top Bottom