XF 2.1 Can I move/transfer my addon which is currently in build to a new system and resume the process?

asprin

So the addon that I'm building is about 60% complete. The system that I'm currently using is almost about to give up on me. Hence, I went ahead and got a new laptop.

Now I'm wondering if I would be able to resume the build on the new system (I seem to recall reading somewhere about it but can't for the life of me find it again). Also, the current build is on XF v2.1, and I was hoping if I could have it transferred to XF v2.2 on the new system (not a deal breaker though).

The PHP files are fine. What I'm worried about is the stuff stored in the database (phrases, templates, etc) and a way to have it imported into the new system. Any suggestions?

Solution
If you use the cmd.php system for running things from the shell, there's an export command as well as a build release command.

CommandDescription
xf-addon:build-releasePerforms an export of the current XML data and saves a ZIP file to _releases
xf-addon:exportExports the XML files for an add-on

The easiest thing to do is probably just to do an xf-addon:build-release command. That will export everything and wrap it all up into a zip file which you can install elsewhere. There's nothing that says an add-on needs to be "complete" in order to do a "release build". If you have files outside of your add-on's primary directory (for example images or...
If you use the cmd.php system for running things from the shell, there's an export command as well as a build release command.

CommandDescription
xf-addon:build-releasePerforms an export of the current XML data and saves a ZIP file to _releases

The easiest thing to do is probably just to do an xf-addon:build-release command. That will export everything and wrap it all up into a zip file which you can install elsewhere. There's nothing that says an add-on needs to be "complete" in order to do a "release build". If you have files outside of your add-on's primary directory (for example images or JavaScript), you can use the build.json file to tell XenForo where those files are.

Solution

CommandDescription

The easiest thing to do is probably just to do an xf-addon:build-release command. That will export everything and wrap it all up into a zip file which you can install elsewhere. There's nothing that says an add-on needs to be "complete" in order to do a "release build". If you have files outside of your add-on's primary directory (for example images or JavaScript), you can use the build.json file to tell XenForo where those files are.

So if I run xf-addon:build-release command and install it on the new system, I can simply resume my build on the new system? Won't there be a version to worry about since it's supposed to be a release and any updates post that should end up a in new version of the addon?

Sorry if it's too basic of a question, this is the first addon I'm building so not very much familiar with the release process.

“Build release” would probably make more sense if it was “build current version”, because you don’t have to actually release it. You can also build the same numerical version later even if you’ve added stuff.

Yes, you can then install it somewhere else is just continue developing.

Top Bottom