What is i4.ytimg.com? Why is my browser waiting for it while on this site?

Dean

in memoriam
Code:
i4.ytimg.com/

?

I go to that site and this shows up:

i4.ytimg.webp

It could easily be my firefox browser bing confused, but thought I would ask.

Randomly on several pages. No pattern that I can see, I have viewing sigs disabled.

This is youtube it is probably trying to get the cover image for a youtube video and is failing, try pinging and doing a tracert to that domain see what you get maybe you have a DNS issue or something similar...

Not quite sure what a static asset is...

How about "Read static.ak.fbcdn.net"? I am staring at that now for the last few minutes while looking at this thread. It is not going away until I click Post Reply after typing this message.

Sounds like you're having a couple of DNS issues. Interesting that you're having issues loading content from two of the primary distributors online (Google and Facebook)

Not quite sure what a static asset is...

How about "Read static.ak.fbcdn.net"? I am staring at that now for the last few minutes while looking at this thread. It is not going away until I click Post Reply after typing this message.

Static asset is anything that isn't dynamic... IE stylesheet images etc... dynamic content IE .php files etc get loaded from the normal domain and dynamic content gets loaded from the CDN (content delivery network/cookieless domain name).

You seem to be having DNS issues.

I pinged i4.ytimg.com a few times, and one of them had 50% data loss, about 165ms seems to be the average.

Suggestions?

I am also curious why the facebook image needs to reload, wouldn't that be in my cache?

I pinged i4.ytimg.com a few times, and one of them had 50% data loss, about 165ms seems to be the average.

Suggestions?

I am also curious why the facebook image needs to reload, wouldn't that be in my cache?

It seems like you have DNS/cache issues, try changing your DNS gateways to that of Open DNS then flush your DNS cache and try again...

Failing that dataloss is normally a connection issue so you need to contact your ISP...

It seems like you have DNS/cache issues, try changing your DNS gateways to that of Open DNS then flush your DNS cache and try again...

Failing that dataloss is normally a connection issue so you need to contact your ISP...
I've been working on this for hours. I followed these instructions and it says I am sucessfully using open dns
https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/windows-xp

I followed these instructions to 1) flush the dns, then 2) disable it completely until next pc re-boot "net stop dnscache"
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

What is happening is this:
I ping i4.ytimg.com and this ip address keeps showing up: 74.125.19.118 - which keeps timing out for me and the ATT support tech person.
When I go to nwtools.com and test i4.ytimg.com resolves to 74.125.227.11, .2, .7 - all of which work great.

Could any kind soul give me an idea how I can get i4.ytimg.com to resolve to a different ip?

could be your ISP which is having issues connecting to google servers...

restart your modem, that could fix the problem.
I've been re-booting/restarting the modem/router and computer, several times.

Try pinging 74.125.19.118 for me a few times and see how long it takes, and if there are any dropped packets. :)

I've been re-booting/restarting the modem/router and computer, several times.

Try pinging 74.125.19.118 for me a few times and see how long it takes, and if there are any dropped packets. :)

http://iptools.com/dnstools.php?tool=ping&user_data=74.125.19.118

ING 74.125.19.118 (74.125.19.118) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 74.125.19.118: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=185 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.118: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=186 ms

--- 74.125.19.118 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 2 received, 60% packet loss, time 4008ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 185.716/186.300/186.885/0.726 ms

Thank you American forum.

I ping youtube and it came back with 74.125.127.93 & 74.125.95.93 which both work great.

I would normally say this is not an xf issue (and it isn't), but this is probably important for forums owners in general. I know one forum in particular that has had an ongoing issue connecting to fb, youtube, and of course google ads. They are loosing much traffic over erratic operation and I think this could be the reason.

Any ideas how to resolve i4.ytimg.com to a different url? Or even some way to independently confirm I am using open source dns?

Couple of points from a networking persepective:

1) Your ISP network that lies between you and the Google servers, obviously has some issues.
2) Changing your DNS won't fix the networking issue between you and Google.
3) Do a tracer to the target server to determine who's router is dropping the ball.

As for forum owners: Anytime you implement a 3rd party tool, plug-in or any other type of data piece that refers to a location other your own domain, you can always expect to have a certain percentage of users that will have increased access times to those services. Thus, those users will complain, but anything not hosted on your own equipment is generally out of your control. Downstream network problems that fall on another provider, are also generally out of your control.

It's not your forum that's connecting to the additional services, it's the user themselves.

Top Bottom