What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

I just did, Damon.

FYI I am now off of the CloudFlare system. It seems that lately the performance has gotten slower to the point that my site access time would be faster without CloudFlare. I don't know what happened, perhaps more and more people are subscribing to the service and the server hasn't been upgraded to keep up with the added traffic.

It's not that much different for the US access speed, but for London, Singapore, and Sydney, my site is significantly faster w/out CF.

Hi,
"FYI I am now off of the CloudFlare system."

What are you basing that information off re: performance? There aren't any service issues, but we have seen some anomalies with reporting tools that we're working with them on fixing.

London: Datacenter online shortly.
Singapore: Datacenter is operational (still making tweaks).
Syndey: Would honestly expect things to be slower for folks visiting from that region (we don't have any DCs there at this time).

Hi Damon,
I'm just using the reports from Webpagetest.org. That's the only tool I have to check on how fast the site is loading from different locations around the world.

No, there is no issues, no downtime no nothing. It's just that in the past 1-2 weeks I noticed that access time hasn't been as fast as when I first registered with CF.

" Webpagetest.org"

Ah, thanks for explaining. We're talking to them about this. It looks like the algo might mis-interpret things while on CloudFlare. We're talking with them to figure out what the issue is.

More info here.

Thanks Damon.

I was doubting if it was necessary to make a post on XenForo stating the fact that I'm no longer using Cloudflare. On one hand I can just stay quiet, but on the other hand I think it'll be fair to the other visitors/readers who's read my earlier testimonials that they get the whole complete story. But I don't think it's something entirely negative. I think that for one it just shows that we're living not in a perfect world where everything always runs smoothly. And for another I think the Cloudflare team should be able to fix the issue with access speed and comes out with an even better and faster service at the end.

I truly enjoy the Cloudflare experience and I think it's one of the best services I've tried. I think I'll wait for a bit before giving CloudFlare another try.

Just spotted in my cPanel tools that both Google Apps and Cloudflare are now listed as installed for using. What's the Google Apps for?

cpanel.webp

Thanks Damon.

I was doubting if it was necessary to make a post on XenForo stating the fact that I'm no longer using Cloudflare. On one hand I can just stay quiet, but on the other hand I think it'll be fair to the other visitors/readers who's read my earlier testimonials that they get the whole complete story. But I don't think it's something entirely negative. I think that for one it just shows that we're living not in a perfect world where everything always runs smoothly. And for another I think the Cloudflare team should be able to fix the issue with access speed and comes out with an even better and faster service at the end.

I truly enjoy the Cloudflare experience and I think it's one of the best services I've tried. I think I'll wait for a bit before giving CloudFlare another try.

Totally understand & no harm in posting on XF at all:) I just wanted to make sure some of the results seen from monitoring services are something we're working on. Generally speaking, most sites are going to see a huge speed increase...but you will have some latency issues for some of your visitors coming from places like AU (USA, Asia & EU should be awesome).

I'm using it for about a week now, it made things sped up a little. I had to do that nginx thiny to get the ips right on the forum, but that wasn't really hard. Too bad the pro plan is $20/month. Why not a simple version for $5/month? I find the pro really expensive for a small site :X

Besides the pro price it's pretty nice.

I'm using it for about a week now, it made things sped up a little. I had to do that nginx thiny to get the ips right on the forum, but that wasn't really hard. Too bad the pro plan is $20/month. Why not a simple version for $5/month? I find the pro really expensive for a small site :X

Besides the pro price it's pretty nice.

What are you looking for? Kind of a menu option? Something like: I want the website preloader, not the WAF, etc.

Interesting idea. We'll see what we can do:)

The one thing we have to be careful of is credit card fees. If we had a bunch of $5.00 transactions, for example, it would kill us. We would have to figure out some solution for that first.

Just found that cloudflare was added to my cpanel

It is possible that I am missing something here but after reading this thread I just cant see the benefit :confused:

Appreciate the follow up and after reading a bit I was wondering about the wording, In particular..
The types of threats that CloudFlare identifies is broad and includes email harvesting, SQL injection, cross-site scripting, comment spam, credential hacking, denial of service attacks and so on.

Does this mean that CloudFlare identifies a denial of service attack and then does nothing other than offer cached content when my site is down ?

Or does CloudFlare both identify a denial of service attack and keep my site online without serving cached content ?

Although cloudflare site offline feature is quite broken. If the server is down it usually ends up with a cloudflare message saying that the site cannot be found try again later etc, also if some times it actually does show cache content from cloudflare system (although very rare) it usually only show front page and nothing more. if you click any link you will get the offline message

Top Bottom